Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Zumwalt - thug?

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVT03 View Post
    Guy led with his head all game, just asking for a serious injury.
    This doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary for this guy, do a google search and the first suggestion that comes up is Zumwalt ucla dirty. Lots of people seem to think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    According to the video replay it appears the helmet hit the top of Logan's chest first.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...73--ncaaf.html
    Tough to tell from that video. Looks like he gets close to chin and lower facemask when I watched the CBS replay. Regardless when in doubt the ref is supposed to call it. The defender wasn't holding his hands up to try and block the pass so no argument to go high. He could have tacked low to the gut like Myles Jack did earlier. I stand by my opinion that it was a bit of a payback after half the UCLA defense had just got jacked. If this were 2 years ago it's a legal hit but the way they protect defenseless players now it had to be called

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Everybody knows that, but not one of those examples is pertinent to this situation.
    And each of those examples still has everything to do with the head, not the top of the chest.
    You're missing the point...it doesn't take helmet to helmet contact to result in a head injury such as a concussion, as today's Thomas injury demonstrated.

Quote Originally Posted by DanNUandVT View Post
    You're missing the point...it doesn't take helmet to helmet contact to result in a head injury such as a concussion, as today's Thomas injury demonstrated.
    I agree with you that it's possible to get a concussion in other ways than helmet to helmet contact that's why I said "Everybody knows that" still every example you listed has nothing to do with what happened to LT today.

Quote Originally Posted by HwoodHokie View Post
    Tough to tell from that video. Looks like he gets close to chin and lower facemask when I watched the CBS replay. Regardless when in doubt the ref is supposed to call it. The defender wasn't holding his hands up to try and block the pass so no argument to go high. He could have tacked low to the gut like Myles Jack did earlier. I stand by my opinion that it was a bit of a payback after half the UCLA defense had just got jacked. If this were 2 years ago it's a legal hit but the way they protect defenseless players now it had to be called
    I don't disagree that it was borderline and probably should have been called (if nothing else to give the replay booth a chance to review it). Since it wasn't called, then I am assuming the official thought that his forearms hit his chest simultaneously as the helmet it. Also, I believe the height difference might have also been a factor in the no call. Unfortunately, there is nothing the NCAA can do to make this rule crystal clear. There will always be at least 1 call a season that could go either way. During a game (maybe even an entire season) there are probably only a handful of tackles that would qualify as a perfect form tackle. The ball carriers are taught to get lower than the defender which means defenders are forced to either tackle high (because the ball carrier lowers his head) or try to make an ankle tackle. The reason I mention the perfect tackle is because the NCAA wants there to be an increase in form tackling (for safety reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by IB4TECH View Post
    At first I gave Zumwalt a pass on whether an ejection should have occurred. But the more I saw the replay, and after seeing the athlete that Zumwalt is, I think he calculated the hit on LT very well.
    No.
    The kid isn't a thug.
    Sent using two cans and a string.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I don't disagree that it was borderline and probably should have been called (if nothing else to give the replay booth a chance to review it). Since it wasn't called, then I am assuming the official thought that his forearms hit his chest simultaneously as the helmet it. Also, I believe the height difference might have also been a factor in the no call. Unfortunately, there is nothing the NCAA can do to make this rule crystal clear. There will always be at least 1 call a season that could go either way. During a game (maybe even an entire season) there are probably only a handful of tackles that would qualify as a perfect form tackle. The ball carriers are taught to get lower than the defender which means defenders are forced to either tackle high (because the ball carrier lowers his head) or try to make an ankle tackle. The reason I mention the perfect tackle is because the NCAA wants there to be an increase in form tackling (for safety reasons).
    They say officiating is the only activity where you're expected to be perfect the first time you ever do it and then improve after that. With this helmet to helmet and targeting stuff, they make it even more difficult to be just decent.

Quote Originally Posted by fathersonhokie View Post
    No.
    The kid isn't a thug.
    any time there are multiple, unconnected sites debating how dirty a player is, the player is probably no angel. Zumwalt is a thug - and without apology.

Quote Originally Posted by fathersonhokie View Post
    No.
    The kid isn't a thug.
    There is some room to debate whether his hit on LT was targeting. Being a late hit is not arguable.

There is no room for debate on his hit later in the game on Coleman where he clearly put the crown of his helmet in JC's earhole.

The kid is a dirty thug. He will either learn to adjust his play or someone will eventually jack him into next week.

This guy led with the crown of his helmet on many tackles. Should have been penalized on more than the LT hit.