Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: Zumwalt - thug?

Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    Because he wasn't penalized for taunting doesn't mean he shouldn't have been penalized. I'm sorry but the refs missed the targeting foul here and vs D'Anthony Thomas. I HATE Oregon, but after I saw Zumwalt give the "put him to sleep" gesture (which should have been taunting) in that game, I wasn't surprised he was the one who was leading with his head. If he doesn't clean up the way he hits, he's going to paralyze someone or himself. Maybe he's not intentionally dirty...just super aggressive...but his actions (he posed after hitting both Thomas's..staring down at Logan and giving the "night night" signal to D'Anthony) suggest otherwise. Stanford hits hard...but I don't see them taunting like Zumwalt did....and it's not a coincidence UCLA was penalized so often during the yr
    I just noticed that - maybe he hates guys named Thomas. But then he did the same to Coleman. It's settled, he's an *sshole.

Quote Originally Posted by DanNUandVT View Post
    I haven't seen any replays of the hit on J.C. Coleman, but didn't J.C. drop his helmet for contact? I have trouble finding fault with defensive players that make helmet to helmet contact when a running back drops his head before contact as well...without the change in position of the running back, it's not a helmet to helmet hit. Maybe I'm not remembering the Coleman play well enough or maybe J.C.'s helmet was just so low because he starts from a low position... At the time, I didn't think there was anything wrong with that hit, but I would want to take another look on a replay.
    Zumwalt hit JCC with the crown if his helmet IN THE SIDE of JCC's helmet...Zumwalt launches and goes for the head...it's how he plays. Again maybe he just has poor, dangerous technique, but he leads with his head...that's a fact...whether he's intentionally "dirty" only he knows...but posing and giving the "go to sleep" sign after targeting D'Anthony Thomas lead me to lean toward him being proud of himself for hurting someone

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    No, he did not. The initial contact point was LT's right shoulder, not his chin. I'd suggest you go back and re-watch the video. I thought it was a clean hit.
    I'm not sure you watched the same thing I did. He purposely used the crown of his helmet and targeted Logan's head. The guy even removed all doubt when he did it several more times in the game.

Are they trying to prevent concussions or not? That was a textbook targeting from a player who has a history of doing it. He needed to be tossed to send a message.

Quote Originally Posted by Reston Hokie View Post
    I'm not sure you watched the same thing I did. He purposely used the crown of his helmet and targeted Logan's head. The guy even removed all doubt when he did it several more times in the game.

Are they trying to prevent concussions or not? That was a textbook targeting from a player who has a history of doing it. He needed to be tossed to send a message.
    Sad to see so many Hokies posting it was a clean hit. So sad...so ignorant.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by MEHOKIE View Post
    If he has an NFL career, it will be short. No room for a Romanowski clone in the NFL anymore. Helmet hits will cost him $$ and playing time. Repeated dirty play will get him "injured" in a pile.
    What I can't figure out is how Brandon Meriweather still has a job.
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

--Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Sad to see so many Hokies posting it was a clean hit. So sad...so ignorant.
    Thought it was said the refs were to err on the side of caution in an situation like that hit, which would cause/allow for the use of the instant replay to get the call right. Not only more eyes to see the play but more eyes using slow motion replay to get the call right.

Quote Originally Posted by HwoodHokie View Post
    Not hard to find. Just Google Zumwalt UCLA dirty and it will come up. Mostly Duck fans it appears. Obviously they are biased but so are you.

I find it funny that Myles Jack didn't need to read minds to make a perfect form hit on Thomas after he got rid of a pass earlier in the game but Zumwalt came in at the chin (if he thought Thomas was running I doubt he'd be launching high).

Maybe Zumwalt is a nice guy and had no intention of going high on a defenseless player but it was definitely enough for a flag and probably a review under the new rules.
    Perfect example...Myles Jack's hit right after LT threw deep early...knocked the wind out of LT...great hit...why couldn't Zumwalt's have hit LT in the chest or stomach? He CLEARLY took two full steps and launched upward toward LT's head...don't believe it? Just look at the pic in Roanoke Times today