Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, this is the craziest game ever. I'd like to see the record books on teams with a 1) "new" QB, 2) new RB and 3) new place kicker in a .... bowl game. that's gotta be some weird NCAA statistic.
    For 26 laps back in the spring of 1960, he was BEHIND me, right there in my rearview mirror, that red, white and blue STP: James Massey (characterized in a song by Wild Ponies)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockWaveVT View Post
    I don't share your doom & gloom outlook. All along everyone knew this would be a rebuilding year, then we got hit with many injuries to key players.. Exum, Fuller, Malleck, Edmunds... finally Thomas. Matched up against a top 25 team things weren't going to be pretty. Limited depth because of a decline in recruiting under the previous offensive coaches finally caught up to us last year and this year. Even so, we finished 8-5, which is an improvement from 7-6 last season.

Without Leal playing like a freshman we'd have only lost 28-12, maybe even picked up another score; which is pretty much what a lot of people were expecting.
    I don't understand your position. Because everyone expected us to be mediocre it's not a big deal? We will probably be worse next year with Leal at QB. That will be 3 seasons in a row of mediocre performance with bad losses. Duke's OC is going to Florida--Duke's OC was there for the taking and we took flipping Scot Loeffler??

Clueless

The ship hit a storm today. But, it's going in the right direction because the crew is being upgraded. Feel free to jump ship though.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    I don't understand your position. Because everyone expected us to be mediocre it's not a big deal? We will probably be worse next year with Leal at QB. That will be 3 seasons in a row of mediocre performance with bad losses. Duke's OC is going to Florida--Duke's OC was there for the taking and we took flipping Scot Loeffler??
    I don't know if Scott Loeffler is as bad as you insinuate, but if you want to talk about talent, we had none, absolutely none, on offense. If we bring in the class that has committed, I'm looking forward to stomping Duke's arse royally over the next few years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by likehokies View Post
    I don't know if Scott Loeffler is as bad as you insinuate, but if you want to talk about talent, we had none, absolutely none, on offense. If we bring in the class that has committed, I'm looking forward to stomping Duke's arse royally over the next few years.
    I agree we have no talent, but there are 110+ schools with better offensive performances than ours this year. That is totally unacceptable! Loeffler has not demonstrated any ability to out perform his talent either at Auburn or VT the way other coordinators have.

If we beat Duke the next few years is because the OC is going to Florida...

Quote Originally Posted by KingslandHokie View Post
    Let's just hope the program isn't in the complete gutter by the time Beamer retires. We will never see an ass kicking like we did today against a good team while he's the Head Coach unless we're the ones getting beat like that. He has completely lost it and the only thing that keeps this program from being 4-8 or worse is playing in the ACC.
    Recruiting matters. 2009-2010 (i.e. 4 to 5 years experience), UCLA had 22 4-stars and 1 5-star. Over that same period, Virginia Tech only had 10 4-stars. By the way, 2 of whom left early, 3 transferred or washed out, and 2 saw very few meaningful snaps.

I.e., the only players with 4+ years of experience who were 4-star recruits were D.J. Coles, Laurence Gibson, and Logan Thomas, who was concussed for most of the game. Virginia Tech is still suffering from bad recruiting under the previous coaching staff, and they're realistically going to have to be almost entirely reliant on players recruited in 2012 and beyond. The good news is that recruiting noticeably picked up then, and it's looking really good in this year's (2014) class. The bad news is it's going to be more like 2015 until you really see the bulk of payoff, if not later.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    I agree we have no talent, but there are 110+ schools with better offensive performances than ours this year. That is totally unacceptable! Loeffler has not demonstrated any ability to out perform his talent either at Auburn or VT the way other coordinators have.

If we beat Duke the next few years is because the OC is going to Florida...

So you agree we have no talent but it's all the first year OC's fault. Logic fails me.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I never said VT was an elite school. However, some fans do think VT is an elite football program. Personally, I have always thought VT was in that next group below the elites (where Kansas St was under Bill Snyder 1.0). Now I wonder if VT could win the AAC, Conference USA, MAC, or Sun Belt on a regular basis.
    There are only 10 elite programs and they have multiple national championships. Over the last 20 years VT is probably in the next group - the 10 - 25th best program but every program has a couple of down years. The question is do we rebound with the new coaches and the new recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by likehokies View Post
    The ship hit a storm today. But, it's going in the right direction because the crew is being upgraded. Feel free to jump ship though.
    Bingo. This game was doomed from the start of LT's concussion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    So you agree we have no talent but it's all the first year OC's fault. Logic fails me.
    Obviously the Beamer homers can't process basic logic. We have bad offensive talent, but Loeffler put up one of the worst offensive showings in VT history this year after putting up one of the worst in Auburn history last year. There is poor talent at VT, but there isn't 120th in the country in offensive production talent. Loeffler has totally failed to out perform the level of talent here. You hire coaches to produce results from the players they have--his results are abysmal by any measuring stick. You can't sugarcoat the 2013 performance with the lack of talent BS.