Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiesrule98 View Post
    do they "always" do that in bowl games? I remember a completely dominant defensive effort in last year's bowl game.
    There have been other bowl flops, yeah. "Always" is an exagerration IMO.

I'm just wondering why the D looked so horrible yesterday. I saw the player comments. Poor communication, plays coming in late, guys out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieD_1994 View Post
    There have been other bowl flops, yeah. "Always" is an exagerration IMO.

I'm just wondering why the D looked so horrible yesterday. I saw the player comments. Poor communication, plays coming in late, guys out of position.
    First off, Chuck Clark is a huge dropoff from Kyle Fuller, at a position that is key for VT. That showed up first series with a 15 yard penalty.

Second, the defense just had a terrible game tackling. Their worst all year. Say what you want about scheme, but they had Hundley dead to rights every time he ran. Seriously, every run he had was after someone who should have made the play (or atleast slowed him down) completely whiffed on the tackle. The missed tackle by Jarrett on 3rd and 12 from the UCLA 28 at 14-10 was a HUGE swing in this game. He makes that like he normally does, UCLA is punting with VT down 4 going into 4th Q.

Third, I have no idea why Fuller and Faycson both looked like freshman for the first time all year. They have been studs all year, and both played like poo poo yesterday. Couldn't cover, couldn't tackle, and both missed some possible INT's they normally grab.

I have no idea whether or not it was focus, or just everyone played a bad game at the same time.

While "always" is probably an exaggeration, it sure seems to happen for us in bowl games a hell of a lot more than it doesn't, and much more so than other teams.

We have one of, if not the I forget, longest active bowl streaks in the nation, yet our signature bowl win was literally almost two decades ago. We seem to have a major issue with bowls, this isn't really new at all.

The defense played awful yesterday. Couldn't tackle at all. Maybe it was a lack of focus, maybe that QB was a shiftier, faster, bigger version of CJ Brown, who gave us a fit earlier in the year.

Anyway, now that they played bad yesterday, do they "always" do that in bowl games? I remember a completely dominant defensive effort in last year's bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by Groff View Post
    While "always" is probably an exaggeration, it sure seems to happen for us in bowl games a hell of a lot more than it doesn't, and much more so than other teams.

We have one of, if not the I forget, longest active bowl streaks in the nation, yet our signature bowl win was literally almost two decades ago. We seem to have a major issue with bowls, this isn't really new at all.
    Correct. And add in other "spotlight" national games while we're at it.

Unfocused = penalties. (We had a ton of them). Missing assignments. (We did that wayyyyy to much). And it also means running the right route and blocking the right guys,( which we did not do a lot of times.) I don't know what you saw but we were unfocused

OK. I want to sort out unfocused and unprepared.

Now, part 2 of that equation. Examples of VT "always" unfocused.

The defense played awful yesterday. Couldn't tackle at all. Maybe it was a lack of focus, maybe that QB was a shiftier, faster, bigger version of CJ Brown, who gave us a fit earlier in the year.

Anyway, now that they played bad yesterday, do they "always" do that in bowl games? I remember a completely dominant defensive effort in last year's bowl game.
    So maybe "always" is a bit of an exaggeration and maybe the word "generally" would make you happier.
    Michigan, Stanford, Kansas, Georgia, Auburn, Cal, every time we play Clemson lately. Even some of our wins have been unfocused, undisciplined, and unprepared. It's like we take the month off literally. They always seem to take "the month off." I know, we aren't in the locker room, the practices, the huddles, etc. As fans, we have the luxury of sitting back and saying what it looks like. This is what it looks like.

Feel bad for the kids as some of them seem to play really hard but some don't and some of the preparation seems to leave them in the wrong spot or not ready for that particular opponent.

Actually depending on the drug, VT might have been more focused if it was high on adderall or some other ADD type medicine. Team looked more drunk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
    Here's an example: everything from the opening kickoff to the UCLA TD on that drive. I'm pretty sure we couldn't have looked worse if everyone on the team was stoned.
    Get over it, your side lost.

The OP stated "why are we always so unfocused in bowl games", and then left no thoughts. I challenged "what" was unfocused, and the "always". Yesterday we had a ton of early penalties that maybe could be attributed to lack of focus.

Let look at the always.

2012 - Rutgers - defense played great from the opening snap all the way through OT.
    2011 - Stanford - Turned into a blowout in 2nd half, but was 13-12 at halftime. Where is the lack of focus there? If there was, wouldn't it have been blowout in 1st half?
    2010 - Tennessee - Blew out Tennesee, led at end of every quarter. Where is the lack of focus there.
    2009 - Cinncy - Gave up an early TD, defense adjusted, didn't give up another score the rest of the game. Where is the lack of focus there?
    2008 - Kansas - sucked from the start of the game throughout the whole game. Focus could have been a factor here.
    2007 - Georgia - Led 21-3 at the half. Where is the lack of focus there.

So you take statement like "why are we always so unfocused in bowl games", and you look back, and it's just not substantiated with facts. That's all I'm saying.

You really didn't post any facts beyond cherry picking scores at points and then writing opinions based in those cherry picked facts.

The offense against Rutgers, the collapses against UGA and Stanford, all of the Kansas game...all speak to a lack of focus. Football games are 60 minutes long.

Everyone pretty much acknowledges that the "always" thing was an exaggeration, but you're kind of burying your head in the sand if you don't think we have a bowl performance issue.

The OP stated "why are we always so unfocused in bowl games", and then left no thoughts. I challenged "what" was unfocused, and the "always". Yesterday we had a ton of early penalties that maybe could be attributed to lack of focus.

Let look at the always.

2012 - Rutgers - defense played great from the opening snap all the way through OT.
    2011 - Stanford - Turned into a blowout in 2nd half, but was 13-12 at halftime. Where is the lack of focus there? If there was, wouldn't it have been blowout in 1st half?
    2010 - Tennessee - Blew out Tennesee, led at end of every quarter. Where is the lack of focus there.
    2009 - Cinncy - Gave up an early TD, defense adjusted, didn't give up another score the rest of the game. Where is the lack of focus there?
    2008 - Kansas - sucked from the start of the game throughout the whole game. Focus could have been a factor here.
    2007 - Georgia - Led 21-3 at the half. Where is the lack of focus there.

So you take statement like "why are we always so unfocused in bowl games", and you look back, and it's just not substantiated with facts. That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    Frank is 9-16 in bowl games. Enough said.