Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by illinihokie View Post
    I think people see auburn got better in one season....so what's up.

Frankly, I think auburn was left with a lot more talent to work with this year. Our problem is recruiting. Out class looks good this year but until we can get the majority of top talent in VA, we aren't going to compete with big boys again.

Like coaches but they need to be given some time.

LT's willingness to switch to qb is the only thing that kept us from losing seasons the past couple of years. I hope the guy makes a boatload of cash in NFL.
    Auburn's situation was...unique. With the exception of quarterback, they had a lot of talent that was suited for Malzahn's spread offense. When he left, Loeffler was hired to develop a pro-style offense with those players. The combination of that, the lack of a quarterback, and a desperate Chizik (feeling the heat from above) meddling with the offense were the main reasons for the poor results of 2012. With Malzahn's return to a spread offense (and with the addition of a transfer/JUCO qb), the pieces were in place for a potent offense in 2013.

Not so much Loeffler being a poor OC, but more Loeffler not having the proper pieces to work with. In time, he'll have those pieces here.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Auburn's situation was...unique. With the exception of quarterback, they had a lot of talent that was suited for Malzahn's spread offense. When he left, Loeffler was hired to develop a pro-style offense with those players. The combination of that, the lack of a quarterback, and a desperate Chizik (feeling the heat from above) meddling with the offense were the main reasons for the poor results of 2012. With Malzahn's return to a spread offense (and with the addition of a transfer/JUCO qb), the pieces were in place for a potent offense in 2013.

Not so much Loeffler being a poor OC, but more Loeffler not having the proper pieces to work with. In time, he'll have those pieces here.
    Do you think there will be any problem with Grimes OL meshing with Lefty's O?
    Here's something that just crossed my mind reading your post.
    Grimes was at Auburn 3 years (I believe) and the OL at Auburn is a good one this year but they obviously weren't good in the 1 year they played in Lefty's O at Auburn. When Auburn went back to the Malzahn O, those OLinemen kicked butt, but surely didn't kick butt in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Do you think there will be any problem with Grimes OL meshing with Lefty's O?
    Here's something that just crossed my mind reading your post.
    Grimes was at Auburn 3 years (I believe) and the OL at Auburn is a good one this year but they obviously weren't good in the 1 year they played in Lefty's O at Auburn. When Auburn went back to the Malzahn O, those OLinemen kicked butt, but surely didn't kick butt in 2012.
    As has been stated here several times, Loeffler's offense is highly dependent on the qb; the qb has to make the right reads in order to run the offense efficiently. He had none in 2012. (The starting qb that year is now at safety.) I don't think there will be a problem with ol, considering Genes has been a success everywhere he's gone (again, stated several times on here, I just don't know the details).
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.