Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bud as HC

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    Now with the new staff we are getting pro style recruits, but previously we had personell more suited to the spread. We would clean up the 757 recruiting if we had the Oregon O.
    We needed QBs suited to the spread because often they had to run to save their own butt.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    He said he would run the Oregon O specifically because it was the hardest to defend.
    Except it isn't. Just ask the great defenses that shut down the Oregon offense....

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    Except it isn't. Just ask the great defenses that shut down the Oregon offense....
    Football is simple. My guy beats your guy, most of my 11 guys beat most of your 11 guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    That's the thing, they were great defenses. Bad defenses shut down our "pro style" offense...

That's the thing, they were great defenses. Bad defenses shut down our "pro style" offense...
    Not for long, they don't. Have faith!

Would Stiny/O'Cain/Newsome been any more effective running the spread option?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    Would Stiny/O'Cain/Newsome been any more effective running the spread option?
    That's not even a serious question. But you meant it that way, right?

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    That's not even a serious question. But you meant it that way, right?
    :-) Absolutely. The point is that plenty of successful offenses run the same pro-style system that Tech does. The problem is not running a "pro-style" offense. The issue is the way our coaches implemented that system. Likewise, Stiny would not have been saved had he switched to a spread option five years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    :-) Absolutely. The point is that plenty of successful offenses run the same pro-style system that Tech does. The problem is not running a "pro-style" offense. The issue is the way our coaches implemented that system. Likewise, Stiny would not have been saved had he switched to a spread option five years ago.
    No, those coaches were incapable of running anything, that was the real problem. But if VT had to pick a style that could be more easily productive it would be the spread IMO...

I don't know the in's and out's of spread offenses . . .

No, those coaches were incapable of running anything, that was the real problem. But if VT had to pick a style that could be more easily productive it would be the spread IMO...
    But I'm guessing if running the simple read option gives you trouble, making the right zone reads in Oregon's offense will be next to impossible. With enough practice, I'm sure it can be learned; but I'm not seeing it being at easier to run than what Tech currently tries.