Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bud as HC

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    My guess is that most new HCs over the last 10 years came from the O side of the game. Texas HC-in-waiting was OC, FSU HC-in-waiting was OC.
    Will Muschamp was the defensive coordinator at Texas when he was named HC in waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Easier said than done. VT would have to totally change recruiting focus to run that offense.
    Exactly because of this - "...totally change recruiting focus..", is why I'm in favor of that approach. I believe switching to a high energy, big play offensive mind set would attract a ton of new offense recruits. This offense is fun for the kids to play, and they would relish joining a program that could pull it off... Therein lies the rub -- it will take a full 3 years to refit to the Oregon scheme. Do we have the patience for that? Would we as a fan base trust that we are on the right track with coaches and scheme after a losing season - or two? How patient would we be after a home loss to UVA?
    I'm not saying those things are inevitable - but they would certainly be possible. And before you say "Bud's defense would never get that bad." remember - he's now the HC - it's not his defense, it's another DC. Would he jump in to help control the damage? Now you have two cooks in the kitchen -- never a good thing. Make no mistake about it -- if Bud moves to HC, the defense will change. And that means it may very well be less effective than before -- there aren't too many DCs that are as capable as Bud. It would be unfair to even a very good one to expect him to pick up with no let down.
    "It's not right; this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me." - Lone Watie

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Easier said than done. VT would have to totally change recruiting focus to run that offense.
    No it would be a lot easier to recruit if we did switch to that offense...

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie360 View Post
    Will Muschamp was the defensive coordinator at Texas when he was named HC in waiting.
    And his offense at Florida has been a disaster every season he's been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie360 View Post
    My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by VT8207 View Post
    Exactly because of this - "...totally change recruiting focus..", is why I'm in favor of that approach. I believe switching to a high energy, big play offensive mind set would attract a ton of new offense recruits. This offense is fun for the kids to play, and they would relish joining a program that could pull it off... Therein lies the rub -- it will take a full 3 years to refit to the Oregon scheme. Do we have the patience for that? Would we as a fan base trust that we are on the right track with coaches and scheme after a losing season - or two? How patient would we be after a home loss to UVA?
    I'm not saying those things are inevitable - but they would certainly be possible. And before you say "Bud's defense would never get that bad." remember - he's now the HC - it's not his defense, it's another DC. Would he jump in to help control the damage? Now you have two cooks in the kitchen -- never a good thing. Make no mistake about it -- if Bud moves to HC, the defense will change. And that means it may very well be less effective than before -- there aren't too many DCs that are as capable as Bud. It would be unfair to even a very good one to expect him to pick up with no let down.
    I believe that the zone read VT tried to employ with LT the last several years is similar in concept to OU's zone read (http://fishduck.com/the-chip-kelly-o...e-zone-read/); however, the Hokies have not had the talent to run it effectively nor the desire to run hurry up O as have the Ducks.
    "You live on - in the hearts of everyone you have touched and nurtured while you were here...Death ends life, not a relationship. M. Albom

I have a lot more confidence in Bud Foster's ability to find and hire a DC that could run some semblance of the 4-3 system we run than I do in Tech implementing a spread offense.

The best example of how that would look would be Rich Rodriguez trying to implement his spread offense at Michigan. Granted, what Chip Kelly ran at Oregon is a different kind of spread than what Rodriguez ran at Clemson and West Virginia.

But the pain in changing from a pro-style offense to a spread offense would be the same at Tech as at Michigan. Anything is possible of course. But I just can't see Foster, perhaps aged 58 when he gets the Tech job, sacrificing three seasons to transition offensive styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I believe that the zone read VT tried to employ with LT the last several years is similar in concept to OU's zone read (http://fishduck.com/the-chip-kelly-o...e-zone-read/); however, the Hokies have not had the talent to run it effectively nor the desire to run hurry up O as have the Ducks.
    It helps when Oregon is willing to recruit in California and Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    It helps when Oregon is willing to recruit in California and Texas.
    Not to mention this:

http://shop.goducks.com/Oregon_Ducks_Nike_Mens

and this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    I have a lot more confidence in Bud Foster's ability to find and hire a DC that could run some semblance of the 4-3 system we run than I do in Tech implementing a spread offense.

The best example of how that would look would be Rich Rodriguez trying to implement his spread offense at Michigan. Granted, what Chip Kelly ran at Oregon is a different kind of spread than what Rodriguez ran at Clemson and West Virginia.

But the pain in changing from a pro-style offense to a spread offense would be the same at Tech as at Michigan. Anything is possible of course. But I just can't see Foster, perhaps aged 58 when he gets the Tech job, sacrificing three seasons to transition offensive styles.
    Now with the new staff we are getting pro style recruits, but previously we had personell more suited to the spread. We would clean up the 757 recruiting if we had the Oregon O.