Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bud as HC

Bud as HC

Mentioned in an article in Sunday edition of Washington Post. Bud passed over as HC at other schools because of the current trend of high power offenses in the college game.

Yes.. Things changing.. Major programs want broad offensive exciting spread offenses .. And young dynamic head coach..look at jones tennesee ...louisville and Vanderbilt ..

Bud is getting a little old ..and if frank stays five more years ; bud gets into mid fifties.

The new ad will see the trends for the future and that will be metrics for hiring .. Remember the standards for hiring a new ad - running a 100 million dollar athletic program and experience on national broadcast rights. That's a new vt model and expect the same for other hirings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Yes.. Things changing.. Major programs want broad offensive exciting spread offenses .. And young dynamic head coach..look at jones tennesee ...louisville and Vanderbilt ..

Bud is getting a little old ..and if frank stays five more years ; bud gets into mid fifties.

The new ad will see the trends for the future and that will be metrics for hiring .. Remember the standards for hiring a new ad - running a 100 million dollar athletic program and experience on national broadcast rights. That's a new vt model and expect the same for other hirings.
    My guess is that most new HCs over the last 10 years came from the O side of the game. Texas HC-in-waiting was OC, FSU HC-in-waiting was OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

Pretty much agree, but Charlie Strong was a D guy and is only a year younger than Bud.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Mentioned in an article in Sunday edition of Washington Post. Bud passed over as HC at other schools because of the current trend of high power offenses in the college game.

Bud has said the right stuff though when asked about offense. He would favor running some form of spread offense. Its all presumptuous until we know whom the new AD will be. Tech's offense can't get any worse than it already is. So I think the new AD has to offer the job to Foster. I'm guessing he'll take the job to open the 2017 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    Bud has said the right stuff though when asked about offense. He would favor running some form of spread offense. Its all presumptuous until we know whom the new AD will be. Tech's offense can't get any worse than it already is. So I think the new AD has to offer the job to Foster. I'm guessing he'll take the job to open the 2017 season.
    He said he would run the Oregon O specifically because it was the hardest to defend.

I also think the new AD has to offer the job to Bud. It would be a slap in the face to Frank, a total disregard to everything Frank built at VT, everything we as fans supported, not to offer it to Bud. I believe Bud will do well for a few years, retire and then maybe we go outside the immediate "Beamer family coaching tree" depending on who is hot and who we can and/or want to afford.

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    He said he would run the Oregon O specifically because it was the hardest to defend.
    That's not surprising. But I take that in the same matter as if a team said they were going to run Virginia Tech's defense. It's a base 4-3, but it can morph to a 4-2, 6-2 or 4-4. When and how it morphs lies in the brain of Bud Foster. A team could chose to use Tech's base set, most teams do run a 4-3 in college. But how it changes, that takes the right DC. It is the same story with the Oregon offense. It's a spread option. Easy fine, get the play book. But how they make their zone reads, that take the right OC.

Bud Foster will Make Sure VT's Offense is one of the best. I see him Never taking short cuts or making excuses ! Bud I Trust....

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    Easier said than done. VT would have to totally change recruiting focus to run that offense.