Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I asked that question a few weeks ago in any post and WVU seemed to be the #1 school with UConn and Cincinnati tied for 2nd. WVU's biggest negative is its academic reputation but the ACC pretty much threw that away with the addition of Louisville (not much difference academically than WVU). WVU would be the best fit for football, fan base (travel to bowls), and geographically. WVU has traditional rivalries with Pitt and Tech. WVU fans watch their 'Eers religiously on television every fall Saturday like SEC fans do in their states. UConn fits the ACC academically and is a men's and women's basketball power which makes the basketball-centric ACC happy. I doubt Cincinnati would give the ACC too many viewers in Ohio. Ohio State rules that state, even in the Cincinnati area. On a map, it looks great adding Ohio but in reality, UC doesn't give the ACC much right now. Maybe in the future they will but that's a huge unknown.

If Notre Dame never joins a s full member, the ACC may hold off on expansion for a long time (10-15 years). As stech has said, maybe the ACC is waiting on some Big 12 schools? If I were commissioner of the ACC, I'd add UConn and WVU. Both schools are public flagship schools of their states. The ACC hasn't added one public flagship school since UVa on December 4, 1953. Both are also large land grant universities. Both have loyal fan bases (WVU for football, UConn for men's and women's hoops). UConn gives the ACC another member in the NYC metro television market. WVU gives the ACC 2 more good football rivalries and more watchable football games. So, I would take WVU and UConn if I went to 16 without Notre Dame.
    At this point I would too. WVU and Louisville are about the same academically. The ACC would add two new states in the region. I don't know how WVU gets out of the Big XII though, but WVU is currently in the wrong conference because of geography. The same could be said for Connecticut now that the AAC has Texas teams.

I wonder if now that the Former WVU President is at Clemson he might help promote WVU to the ACC? He could also try to get Clemson out of the ACC. It's an interesting variable to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    At this point I would too. WVU and Louisville are about the same academically. The ACC would add two new states in the region. I don't know how WVU gets out of the Big XII though, but WVU is currently in the wrong conference because of geography. The same could be said for Connecticut now that the AAC has Texas teams.

I wonder if now that the Former WVU President is at Clemson he might help promote WVU to the ACC? He could also try to get Clemson out of the ACC. It's an interesting variable to watch.
    Assuming Clemson decides to leave the ACC for the Big XII (given the WVU connection), how quickly do think it would be before FSU and/or Miami announce they were leaving too? The problem the Big XII will have is that it currently has 9 midwestern schools, so there is no clean way to divide them up between 2 divisions. I know there was a proposal that Kansas, Kansas St, and Iowa St would be placed in the same division as WVU, Clemson, and FSU. However, since those 3 schools heavily recruit in Texas, then I am not sure they would willing go along with that plan. Would the Big XII go with a zipper model so that each division would have 2 TX schools, 1 OK school, 1 KS school, 1 IA/WV school, and 1 SC/FL school? Regardless of which model the Big XII goes with, I am not sure I would count out the possibility of trying to lure Miami away too given that Miami is still a household name. If that happens, then it could make things real interesting who would becomes the 14th member.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Assuming Clemson decides to leave the ACC for the Big XII (given the WVU connection), how quickly do think it would be before FSU and/or Miami announce they were leaving too? The problem the Big XII will have is that it currently has 9 midwestern schools, so there is no clean way to divide them up between 2 divisions. I know there was a proposal that Kansas, Kansas St, and Iowa St would be placed in the same division as WVU, Clemson, and FSU. However, since those 3 schools heavily recruit in Texas, then I am not sure they would willing go along with that plan. Would the Big XII go with a zipper model so that each division would have 2 TX schools, 1 OK school, 1 KS school, 1 IA/WV school, and 1 SC/FL school? Regardless of which model the Big XII goes with, I am not sure I would count out the possibility of trying to lure Miami away too given that Miami is still a household name. If that happens, then it could make things real interesting who would becomes the 14th member.
    I don't think Clemson or anyone else in the ACC would want to be in the Big XII. I think that Clemson might consider the SEC, but outside of that Clemson is happy where they are. I just don't know what the former WVU President thinks today. He made a public comment a year ago that ACC schools should be worried while he was at WVU. I don't know if he still believes that.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I don't think Clemson or anyone else in the ACC would want to be in the Big XII. I think that Clemson might consider the SEC, but outside of that Clemson is happy where they are. I just don't know what the former WVU President thinks today. He made a public comment a year ago that ACC schools should be worried while he was at WVU. I don't know if he still believes that.
    I may be wrong, but the only reason I could see anyone leave for the Big XII is because the Big XII was able to leverage for a much more lucrative TV contract. I would think the opportunity to televise FSU-Texas, FSU-Oklahoma, Miami-Texas, Miami-Oklahoma, Clemson-Texas, and Clemson-Oklahoma on annual basis may be enough to justify the increase. Plus, the conference would have 2 football factory states within its footprint which could enhance recruiting for those schools. If those 3 schools did announce they were leaving the ACC for the Big XII, then could that open the door for Notre Dame to become #14? It would give Notre Dame annual access to Florida and Texas while leaving Notre Dame 4 slots to play USC, Stanford, and Navy annually. The 4th slot would be a rotation slot that Notre Dame could use for its Shamrock Series. I am not suggesting that any of this will happen soon, but I could see it happening when the GORs and TV contracts come up for renewal.

No one is leaving the ACC, IMO

Texas dominating the politics of the Big XII has completely ruined that conference as a potential destination for anyone in the ACC. Everyone knows Texas is a loose cannon threatening to derail that conference at a whim.

More likely, the Big XII picks up a team or two from the AAC in the next five years, and that is about it. UCF is looking pretty solid right now, so maybe they will add them soon. If I were the Big XII, I would go no further than adding one team every five years or so, when it is clear that there is a team like UCF breaking out of the AAC pack. At this point, maybe give them a year or so, to see if they repeat their success. They aren't going anywhere.

And everyone (UNC, GT or whoever) had their chance with the Big Ten, and for whatever reasons they decided to stick with the ACC. I believe Maryland will do poorly in the Big Ten, so hopefully that will make everyone think twice if the chance comes up again. Plus, I doubt anyone wants to be the lower half of the Eastern division of the Big Ten along with Rutgers and Maryland. Those two will be red-headed step children for a long time. Who wants that?

By the time the GOR needs to be revisited, the ACC's TV issues will be long past. With our teams winning some big games lately, that will take care of itself soon enough.

I may be wrong, but the only reason I could see anyone leave for the Big XII is because the Big XII was able to leverage for a much more lucrative TV contract. I would think the opportunity to televise FSU-Texas, FSU-Oklahoma, Miami-Texas, Miami-Oklahoma, Clemson-Texas, and Clemson-Oklahoma on annual basis may be enough to justify the increase. Plus, the conference would have 2 football factory states within its footprint which could enhance recruiting for those schools. If those 3 schools did announce they were leaving the ACC for the Big XII, then could that open the door for Notre Dame to become #14? It would give Notre Dame annual access to Florida and Texas while leaving Notre Dame 4 slots to play USC, Stanford, and Navy annually. The 4th slot would be a rotation slot that Notre Dame could use for its Shamrock Series. I am not suggesting that any of this will happen soon, but I could see it happening when the GORs and TV contracts come up for renewal.

If Clemson's new president tries to allign them with WVU in anything then he should be immediatly canned. He is president of Clemson and why would Clemson want to be like WVU in anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Touchdown View Post
    If Clemson's new president tries to allign them with WVU in anything then he should be immediatly canned. He is president of Clemson and why would Clemson want to be like WVU in anything?
    Just because a school aligns with another school on a particular policy or decision, does not necessary mean the schools will follow the same path. For example Baylor and Cal may both agree that student-athletes should receive a $5,000 stipend, but it doesn't mean that both school will now mirror each other. Baylor will still be the religious conservative school it has always been and Cal will still be liberal school it has always been. In this particular case, if Clemson aligns with WVU then it is because the Big XII or Big XIV (Big XII owns the rights to both names) can offer Clemson a larger payout than the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    Texas dominating the politics of the Big XII has completely ruined that conference as a potential destination for anyone in the ACC. Everyone knows Texas is a loose cannon threatening to derail that conference at a whim.

More likely, the Big XII picks up a team or two from the AAC in the next five years, and that is about it. UCF is looking pretty solid right now, so maybe they will add them soon. If I were the Big XII, I would go no further than adding one team every five years or so, when it is clear that there is a team like UCF breaking out of the AAC pack. At this point, maybe give them a year or so, to see if they repeat their success. They aren't going anywhere.

And everyone (UNC, GT or whoever) had their chance with the Big Ten, and for whatever reasons they decided to stick with the ACC. I believe Maryland will do poorly in the Big Ten, so hopefully that will make everyone think twice if the chance comes up again. Plus, I doubt anyone wants to be the lower half of the Eastern division of the Big Ten along with Rutgers and Maryland. Those two will be red-headed step children for a long time. Who wants that?

By the time the GOR needs to be revisited, the ACC's TV issues will be long past. With our teams winning some big games lately, that will take care of itself soon enough.
    It doesn't make much sense for the Big XII to only pick up 1 team. If it is going to increase its membership, then it might as well wait until it has 2 candidates and add them at the same time. By doing that then it can hold a CCG which could be enough of an incentive to re-negotiate its TV deal. By adding only 1 team, then odds are good that ESPN won't want to re-negotiate (unless that 1 team is Notre Dame).

Maryland may do poorly (athletically speaking) in the Big Ten. However, Maryland may end up striking (research) gold on the academic side of the house which could be used to justify the move. If Maryland starts to appear in the news more for various research breakthroughs and starts to be perceived as being more prestigious, then don't be surprised if several ACC schools (i.e. Duke, UNC, UVA, and GT) start to re-evaluate Maryland's decision.

The ACC Network issue is a moot point. Where there will still be a TV issue is the amount of payout a conference is able to offer to each school. If another conference is able to offer an additional $10-$20 million in TV revenue, then would that be worth a school deciding not to renew the ACC's GOR and leave for another conference?

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Truthahn View Post
    More likely, the Big XII picks up a team or two from the AAC in the next five years, and that is about it. UCF is looking pretty solid right now, so maybe they will add them soon.
    I think it would be odd for a conference to pick a team on one outlier year. Sure, they won a BCS game this year but when were they relevent before that? When Dante Culpepper was still in school? And most of the rest of their teams suck. I use to work over near UCF and almost no one talks about their sports. (Not to mention how much expense it would add to UCF to play in a conference where their closest opponent would have to be nearly 1,000 miles away!)