Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Lurker

Would ND join with Navy and a 7 conference game conference schedule?

Somebody posted this idea in his blog (sorry if repost):

http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/20...on-realignment

Personally, I don't think ACC will add two more teams unless ND is in the mix. ACC had added northern teams such as BC, pitt, syracuse just to get the 5 game deal with ND. So further expansion is pretty much up to ND, and what ND wants, if it joins, is the least number of conference games. From next year they will play the following:

5 random ACC games + 3 Regulars (Navy, Stanford, and USC) + 4 OOC (at least one or two BIG).

I don't see ND play 8 ACC conference games here. The best deal ACC can propose is:

1. Invite Navy
    2. Propose a 7 game conference
    3. Team ND with Navy, Cuse, and BC for its pod.

Then ND will play

Cuse + BC + 4 random ACC teams + 3 regulars (Navy,Stanford and USC) + 3 OCC.

Would this deal be palatable to ND?

PS:
    As for the first point, I know some people have doubt whether Navy would want to play in ACC, but I believe they actually showed express in joining the acc when acc was looking for the replacement of UMCP.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ouisville-acc/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by acis111 View Post

Personally, I don't think ACC will add two more teams unless ND is in the mix. ACC had added northern teams such as BC, pitt, syracuse just to get the 5 game deal with ND. So further expansion is pretty much up to ND, and what ND wants, if it joins, is the least number of conference games. From next year they will play the following:

5 random ACC games + 3 Regulars (Navy, Stanford, and USC) + 4 OOC (at least one or two BIG).

I don't see ND play 8 ACC conference games here. The best deal ACC can propose is:

1. Invite Navy

Then ND will play

PS:
    As for the first point, I know some people have doubt whether Navy would want to play in ACC, but I believe they actually showed express in joining the acc when acc was looking for the replacement of UMCP.

I expressed this sentiment in another thread and got some understandable heat for it, but I think Navy would be a tremendous football-only addition to the ACC. There are numerous phenomenal options for a 16th all-but-football member (Georgetown, George Washington, Villanova, etc.). Navy is probably on par with...I don't know, Wake Forest/UVa/Duke/Syracuse in any given year in football, and adding the 16th member in all but football would probably up the quality of ACC basketball even more (or perhaps the ACC could just drop VT basketball...haha). Navy is probably a downgrade overall in football; however, my point in the other thread was that while Navy is a downgrade it would be worth the tradeoff to get Notre Dame into the conference in football--it would be a net positive trade in football. Add in a basketball program like Georgetown or Villanova and you've got a major upgrade in the conference overall.

I think the 7-game (including Navy) option would be palatable to Notre Dame, although what I think Notre Dame values even more than its schedule is marketing its independence--I think at its core Notre Dame fans, alumni, students, administration, and faculty simply recoil at the idea of being associated with a conference. So I think it's more than just the schedule.

As an aside, despite what our various opinions are on the topic, I think the ACC would pretty much fall all over itself at Notre Dame + Navy football-only with an 8-game schedule. But I'm doubtful that there would be support for Notre Dame with a 7-game schedule as a full member (that gets to play for the ACC title).

I say you just add UCONN. Put ND in the BC, UCONN, and Cuse pod. Make them play the 3 plus another rotating 4 team pod each year resulting in 7 conference games that count for the spot in the ACCCG. Everybody else in the ACC plays only 7 games that count toward the conference crown (their pod members and a rotating 4 team pod) too. Meanwhile, the ACC teams can schedule eachother additionally, but only those 7 games will count toward earning the ACCCG spot. It is actually the fairest system out there.
    Pods would be:
    ACCN:
    ND, Cuse, BC, UCONN
    ACCMA:
    UofL, Pitt, VT, UVA
    ACCNC:
    UNC, NC St., Duke, Wake
    ACCS:
    FSU, Miami, Clemson, GT

There it is, even stephen.

ND's schedule would look something like:
    conference games (UCONN,Cuse,BC,VT,UofL,Pitt,UVA)

NAVY,Stanford,USC

plus 2 extra games to play with EVERY Season.

VT's schedule would be something like
    conference games (UVA, Pitt, UofL, ND, Uconn, BC, Cuse)
    Then we would have 5 extra OOC games to play with. We could agree to play Miami every year in which we wouldn't already be playing them for the spot in the ACCCG. Essentially, we could still play them every season, but they would only count toward our conference record 2 out of every 6 seasons. UVA could do so with UNC and Clemson could do so with NC ST as well.

This is actually a much more fair system than the unbalanced schedules we play every season, when some Coastal teams are playing both FSU and Clemson while other are playing NC St. and Wake. This way, it's 7 teams playing eachother for the spot.

Clemson could still play NC St. for a trophy, Miami and VT could still play for bragging rights, and UNC could still play UVA in a Douche Bowl each season.

This is probably the most reasonable scenario. Play every team twice over 6 years with only 7 conference games per season.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I say you just add UCONN.... ....and UNC could still play UVA in a Douche Bowl each season.

1. Invite Navy

Then ND will play

PS:

Probably not. I think the ACC shouldn't give Notre Dame any additional special treatment. They already are playing all their Olympic sports in the ACC. That's enough special treatment. I understand the "value" of the Notre Dame brand, but having partial conference members pretty much was the downfall of the Big East. Yes, Notre Dame will be playing 5 ACC teams per year in football but it looks like they want to play as many road games as possible in NFL stadiums. I wonder if they'll ever play in Blacksburg or that game will be played at FedEx Field? Will they end up playing Duke and Wake in Charlotte? Everything seems to be for them, but that's the way it's always been with Notre Dame football. I say play 8 (even 9) conference games if Notre Dame is a full member of the ACC. Heck, everyone else has to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Probably not. I think the ACC shouldn't give Notre Dame any additional special treatment. They already are playing all their Olympic sports in the ACC. That's enough special treatment. I understand the "value" of the Notre Dame brand, but having partial conference members pretty much was the downfall of the Big East. Yes, Notre Dame will be playing 5 ACC teams per year in football but it looks like they want to play as many road games as possible in NFL stadiums. I wonder if they'll ever play in Blacksburg or that game will be played at FedEx Field? Will they end up playing Duke and Wake in Charlotte? Everything seems to be for them, but that's the way it's always been with Notre Dame football. I say play 8 (even 9) conference games if Notre Dame is a full member of the ACC. Heck, everyone else has to.
    I don't really agree with your point here. The ACC already has a partial member--Notre Dame. By adding Navy in football-only you'd be adding Notre Dame as a FULL member (eliminating their partial-member status) and adding Navy as a partial-member while picking up a basketball power as an all-but-football addition. It's really an even trade that could not realistically expand to the point of the Big East where half the members didn't play football. With a 16-team limit, having partial members is capped at 2, unlike with the Big East which could have almost an infinite number of partial members.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I say you just add UCONN. Put ND in the BC, UCONN, and Cuse pod. Make them play the 3 plus another rotating 4 team pod each year resulting in 7 conference games that count for the spot in the ACCCG. Everybody else in the ACC plays only 7 games that count toward the conference crown (their pod members and a rotating 4 team pod) too. Meanwhile, the ACC teams can schedule eachother additionally, but only those 7 games will count toward earning the ACCCG spot. It is actually the fairest system out there.
    Pods would be:
    ACCN:
    ND, Cuse, BC, UCONN
    ACCMA:
    UofL, Pitt, VT, UVA
    ACCNC:
    UNC, NC St., Duke, Wake
    ACCS:
    FSU, Miami, Clemson, GT

There it is, even stephen.

ND's schedule would look something like:
    conference games (UCONN,Cuse,BC,VT,UofL,Pitt,UVA)

NAVY,Stanford,USC

plus 2 extra games to play with EVERY Season.

VT's schedule would be something like
    conference games (UVA, Pitt, UofL, ND, Uconn, BC, Cuse)
    Then we would have 5 extra OOC games to play with. We could agree to play Miami every year in which we wouldn't already be playing them for the spot in the ACCCG. Essentially, we could still play them every season, but they would only count toward our conference record 2 out of every 6 seasons. UVA could do so with UNC and Clemson could do so with NC ST as well.

This is actually a much more fair system than the unbalanced schedules we play every season, when some Coastal teams are playing both FSU and Clemson while other are playing NC St. and Wake. This way, it's 7 teams playing eachother for the spot.

Clemson could still play NC St. for a trophy, Miami and VT could still play for bragging rights, and UNC could still play UVA in a Douche Bowl each season.
    You can't really "just add UCONN". Why would Notre Dame join the ACC to play UCONN every year only to have to possibly drop a long-standing rival? How in the world would you get support for UCONN from the southern football powers, particularly FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech and, quite frankly, Virginia Tech?

Even if ND didn't have to drop a rival, what would possibly be its motivation for joining under this scenario? And why should UCONN disproportionately benefit from conference affiliation while everyone else has to re-arrange their schedules?

What you've put forth is not a reasonable scenario.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    For all the talk about pods, wouldn't you have to change the NCAA rules for championship games before you could have pods?

Lurker
    I don't think so. We will still have only one conference championship game (no conference playoff). Two pods will constitute one division. So from NCAA perspective, ACC will continue to have two divisions. It's just teams in each division change every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    For all the talk about pods, wouldn't you have to change the NCAA rules for championship games before you could have pods?

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    I don't think so. We will still have only one conference championship game (no conference playoff). Two pods will constitute one division. So from NCAA perspective, ACC will continue to have two divisions. It's just teams in each division change every year.
    I'm pretty sure it does as the NCAA rules seem to need two divisional contenders to play for a playoff. More than two (ie pods) would be explicitly prohibited!