How to lose a game: Let me count the ways.

Eddie disappears.
    No one can shoot free throws.

Don't forget 13 unforced turnovers

Quote Originally Posted by OakHillHokie View Post
    Eddie disappears.

Don't forget taking the air out of the ball too early.

Very disappointing all the way around.

Eddie disappears.
    The world is ending over on the Men's Basketball Chat Board. Most are ready to pack up JJ and ship him out of town. I'm more patient than that. JJ has his new recruits that need to develop as a team. Two of our good players were hurt and one didn't play (Smith) and the other is limited (CJ). We only have 1 PG and he's a freshman. I understand the frustration but you don't fire JJ based on losing to UNCG (or VCU). The team does need to step up the intensity, but I'm not sure they have the senior leadership to get there. I'm looking at this year as a "building year" (not re-building since it's been a few since our ship was functional).
    "The point of the journey is not To Arrive"....Neil Peart

Eddie disappears.
    I wouldn't say that Eddie disappeared. He couldn't make a shot. Early in the game, he forced 3 shots and didn't come close with any of them. In fact, I only remember two good looks he got: the layup he made in transition and the follow up layup he missed. He ended up getting a lot of shots up, but not many with his feet up under him.

Quote Originally Posted by HOaKIE View Post
    The world is ending over on the Men's Basketball Chat Board. Most are ready to pack up JJ and ship him out of town. I'm more patient than that. JJ has his new recruits that need to develop as a team. Two of our good players were hurt and one didn't play (Smith) and the other is limited (CJ). We only have 1 PG and he's a freshman. I understand the frustration but you don't fire JJ based on losing to UNCG (or VCU). The team does need to step up the intensity, but I'm not sure they have the senior leadership to get there. I'm looking at this year as a "building year" (not re-building since it's been a few since our ship was functional).
    When you "build" you start with a foundation of fundamentals like: 1) being able to pass out of a double team 2) being able to play aggressive half court D with help that forces turnovers vs inferior athletes 3) being able to run a motion based offense which keeps everyone involved and generates open looks. The lesser talented UNCG team could do ALL of these things because they've been coached to do so. They played excellent helping 1/2 court D and they ran an O with lots of motion that kept our defense on its heels and eventually got them easy, good looks late in the game while we forced shots vs double teams

Quote Originally Posted by HOaKIE View Post
    I hear ya. But the rest of this season is going to be a disaster. And who's to say we're not going to have other injuries/attrition/benchings next year? JJ has had guys in the doghouse both seasons now. VT fans are just tired of excuses. We already had our fill of that with Greenberg.

Banned

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    When you "build" you start with a foundation of fundamentals like: 1) being able to pass out of a double team 2) being able to play aggressive half court D with help that forces turnovers vs inferior athletes 3) being able to run a motion based offense which keeps everyone involved and generates open looks. The lesser talented UNCG team could do ALL of these things because they've been coached to do so. They played excellent helping 1/2 court D and they ran an O with lots of motion that kept our defense on its heels and eventually got them easy, good looks late in the game while we forced shots vs double teams
    This is exactly why I totally reject the crowd that says give Johnson more time. Johnson has demonstrated absolutely no ability to coach. He had no experience as a head coach prior to being appointed the VT head coach, so there is no track record to demonstrate that he has the base level of competence to be an ACC head coach, or any head coach. Saying that Johnson should be given more time is like saying that TJ was Broke should be given more time--Johnson and I had the exact same track record as a head coach prior to Johnson being hired, but I have fewer losses.

Johnson was the wrong man for the hire at the very beginning--you don't prolong Jim Weaver's incompetence by giving a guy with no prior track record of success "more time". If VT played good, tough defense, had good ball movement, and was a competent but undermanned team then I'd say let's wait out the new recruits. The problem is that we're not a well coached team.