Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Divisions. A 4-year rotation w/4 pods. (3 schools' sample schedules enclosed)

Took some of the great ideas from this board over the past week and combined them with my own in hopes of balancing ACC priorities. Posted it on the Sabre too. Here is what I came up with...

Principles of the plan
    -Primary rivals placed in opposite divisions
    -Each team travels to every campus in a 4-year cycle
    -All primary and secondary annual rivalries are preserved
    -Each school plays in Florida no less than every other year
    -9 games (see last slide for 8-game plan)
    -All teams play a team from every state/region with multiple teams (Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Deep South) every year
    -The ACC’s top two programs (re: fan base, attendance, national cache), Clemson and FSU, are in separate divisions.

Annual rivalries preserved:
    -UVa v. UNC; UNC v. NCSt; UNC v. Duke ; BC v. Miami; Miami v. FSU; Clemson v. FSU; GT v. Clemson; Syracuse v. BC; Pitt vs. Syracuse; VT v. UVa; Wake v. Duke; GT vs. Clemson ...and more

Tri-Pods (pods of 3 teams)
    A Pod--NC State, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
    B Pod--North Carolina, Virginia, Duke

Quad-Pods (pods of 4 teams)
    C Pod--Boston College, Louisville, Clemson, Miami
    D Pod--Syracuse, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Florida State

Here’s how it works...
    Year 1: Atlantic Div.consists of Pods A&C; Coastal Div. is Pods B&D.
    Year 2: Atlantic Div. consists of Pods A&D; Coastal Div. is Pods B&C.
    Year 3: same as Year 1 (with opposite locations from last meeting)
    Year 4: same as Year 2 (with opposite locations from last meeting)

ODD YEARS
    Atlantic Division
    NC State
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest
    Boston College
    Louisville
    Clemson
    Miami

Coastal Division
    North Carolina
    Virginia
    Duke
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Georgia Tech
    Florida State

EVEN YEARS
    Atlantic Division
    NC State
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest
    Syracuse
    Pitt
    Georgia Tech
    Florida State

Coastal Division
    North Carolina
    Virginia
    Duke
    Boston College
    Louisville
    Clemson
    Miami

Tri-Pod Crossovers
    -All Tri-Pod teams cross over to play all Tri-pod teams in opposite division.

Quad-Pod Crossovers
    -All Quad-Pod teams cross over to play 3 of 4 of the Quad-Pod teams in the opposite division.
    -Of the 3 cross over games, 2 will be permanent crossovers.
    -Permanent Quad-Pod crossovers will be based on previous rivalries and historical conference ties (i.e., recent Big East teams team will play one another; historic ACC teams do the same).

Bottom line (1)
    NCSt, VT, Wake, UNC, UVa, and Duke will play the same 4-year rotation.
    -They will play each other every year
    -They will play the other 8 teams every other year

Bottom line (2)
    FSU and GT will play the same 4-year rotation.
    -They will play FSU/GT, Syracuse, Pitt, Clemson, and Miami every year

Bottom line (3)
    Pitt and Syracuse will play the same 4-year rotation.
    -They will play Pitt/Syracuse, GT, FSU, Louisville, and BC every year

Bottom line (4)
    BC and Louisville will play the same 4-year rotation.
    -They will play BC/L'ville, Clemson, Miami, Syracuse, and Pitt every year

Bottom line (5)
    Miami and Clemson will play the same 4-year rotation.
    -They will play Miami/Clemson, BC, Louisville, FSU, and GT every year

Sample Tri-pod team 4-year schedule (Virginia Tech)
    Year 1
    @UVa
    UNC
    @Duke
    NCState
    @Wake
    Clemson
    @Miami
    Louisville
    @BC

Year 2
    UVa
    @UNC
    Duke
    @NCState
    Wake
    @GT
    FSU
    @Pitt
    Syracuse

Year 3
    @UVa
    UNC
    @Duke
    NCState
    @Wake
    @Clemson
    Miami
    @Louisville
    BC

Year 4
    UVa
    @UNC
    Duke
    @NCState
    Wake
    GT
    @FSU
    Pitt
    @Syracuse

Quad-pod team 4-yr schedule (long-time ACC team--Clemson)
    Year 1
    @VT
    NCState
    @Wake
    @Miami
    Louisville
    @BC
    FSU
    @GT
    Syracuse

Year 2
    UVa
    @UNC
    Duke
    Miami
    @Louisville
    BC
    @FSU
    GT
    @Pitt

Year 3
    VT
    @NCState
    Wake
    @Miami
    Louisville
    @BC
    FSU
    @GT
    @Syracuse

Year 4
    @UVa
    UNC
    @Duke
    Miami
    @Louisville
    BC
    @FSU
    GT
    Pitt

Quad-pod team 4-yr schedule (recent Big East team--Syracuse)
    Year 1
    @UVa
    @UNC
    Duke
    @Pitt
    FSU
    @GT
    @Louisville
    BC
    Clemson

Year 2
    @VT
    NCState
    Wake
    Pitt
    @FSU
    GT
    Louisville
    @BC
    @Miami

Year 3
    UVa
    UNC
    @Duke
    @Pitt
    FSU
    @GT
    @Louisville
    BC
    @Clemson

Year 4
    VT
    @NCState
    @Wake
    Pitt
    @FSU
    GT
    Louisville
    @BC
    Miami

Notre Dame
    Since the ACC will now be playing 9 games (5 home and 4 away or vice versa), a school should be scheduled to host ND when said school has 4 ACC home games, and travel to South Bend when it has 4 ACC road games.

If the ACC stays at 8 games
    -All Tri-Pod teams will still get to play all conference members every two years.
    -All Quad-Pod teams will have three non-rival teams in opposite pod that they will play only every third year. Only two years will be needed however to play the other 10.

ICYMI: justification for placing rivals in separate divisions
    From my past writings...
    Here are games that need to be protected in permanent crossover rivalry games:
    VT-UVa (Commonwealth Cup) Miami-FSU (Florida rivalry)
    BC-Syracuse (old Eastern powers rivalry)
    NCSt-UNC (NC public school rivalry)
    Wake-Duke (NC private school rivalry)
    Clemson-GT (Deep South rivalry)
    Louisville-Pitt (Ohio River Valley/former Big East rivalry).

This plan is based on...
    a) preserving ALL primary and significant secondary rivalries
    b) regional balance: embracing the NEW ACC by scheduling to assure all teams regularly travel to, and gain exposure in, all sub- regions
    c) competitive balance in hopes of getting the best possible ACCCG matchup
    d) balancing private-public schools
    e) balancing of programs with large fan bases
    f) balancing of urban schools in NFL cities

ICYMI 2:
    This plan also allows for each division to have a member from every sub-region in the conference:
    Northeast/New England(BC-pod c, Syracuse-pod d)
    Commonwealth of Virginia (VT-pod a, UVa-pod b)
    State of North Carolina (Wake and NCSt- pod a, Duke and UNC-pod b) Ohio River Valley (Louisville-pod c, Pitt-pod d)
    Deep South SC-GA (Clemson-pod c, GT-pod d)
    State of Florida (Miami-pod c, FSU-pod d).
    This sub-regional consideration is good for recruiting, exposure and maintaining continuity and cooperation in an expanded footprint.
    This plan specifically puts Pitt and Miami in separate divisions since I consider it a bit of an irregularity for opponents to have to play two teams regularly that play off campus in NFL stadia (although Louisville will need to be the exception as they will play both Miami and Pitt each year).
    Last edited by Maroon Baboon; Fri Dec 27 2013 at 09:33 AM.

I like it. Not sure I understand how it would work with only 8 games?

Teams in the tri-pods would have four new teams in their division every other year. So they would get to all the teams in that regard. Plus, they play the other tri-pod teams in crossovers every year.

But quad-pod teams would not be able to get to all the teams in a four year-cycle with 8 games.

Let's take Miami as an example: The teams in the other quad-pad are FSU, GT, Pitt, and Syracuse. If Miami played its 6 division games, that would leave just 2 games for the opposite division's quad pod. 1 game would be an annual rivalry with FSU. The remaining game would be rotated between the other three over a four year cycle. They could could rotate playing the other three every three years.

Oops, thanks. I made a slight mistake in my original post. It would have to be THREE (not two) teams that they would have to play every third year. That being said, that's why I don't like the 8-game schedule. I edited the original post. Thanks.

Banned
    I like it. But it's so complicated that the ACC would reject it on its face. The ACC needs something so simple that it is illogical (like the current schedule).

Good idea, but you did forget 1 rivalry; Clemson-NC State. They play for the Textile Trophy in football and both schools have publicly stated they want their rivarly to continue being an annual tradition. I am not surprised you missed it because it has become a "forgotten rivalry." The links below give different perspectives on the rivalry.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-footb...otten-rivalry/
    http://agfax.com/2013/09/13/agri-riv...h-n-c-sept-19/
    http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2...-been-colorfu/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textile_Bowl

Thanks. I actually considered the NCSt-Clemson series, but I figured it would be too difficult to tie NCSt into UNC, and UNC into Duke and UVa, and UVa into VT.

But I will say this: if Clemson is gung ho about keeping certain series, I hope they also advocate for 9 games, and not use their USCe series as justification to stay at 8.

Also, if a rotation plan like this doesn't fly, I just say switch Miami and VT for FSU and Syracuse. If you do that...

NCState stays in division with Clemson and keeps UNC crossover.
    VT makes UVa the crossover.
    Syracuse makes BC a crossover.
    FSU-Miami crossover remains.
    BC and Miami be together again.
    Clemson and FSU can be in separate division to give balance and the greatest potential ACCCG.
    Everyone gets to Florida.
    Everyone gets to every state/region in division (next best thing to getting to all 13 campuses in 4 years)
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Good idea, but you did forget 1 rivalry; Clemson-NC State. They play for the Textile Trophy in football and both schools have publicly stated they want their rivarly to continue being an annual tradition. I am not surprised you missed it because it has become a "forgotten rivalry." The links below give different perspectives on the rivalry.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-footb...otten-rivalry/
    http://agfax.com/2013/09/13/agri-riv...h-n-c-sept-19/
    http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2...-been-colorfu/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textile_Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Thanks. I actually considered the NCSt-Clemson series, but I figured it would be too difficult to tie NCSt into UNC, and UNC into Duke and UVa, and UVa into VT.

But I will say this: if Clemson is gung ho about keeping certain series, I hope they also advocate for 9 games, and not use their USCe series as justification to stay at 8.

Also, if a rotation plan like this doesn't fly, I just say switch Miami and VT for FSU and Syracuse. If you do that...

NCState stays in division with Clemson and keeps UNC crossover.
    VT makes UVa the crossover.
    Syracuse makes BC a crossover.
    FSU-Miami crossover remains.
    BC and Miami be together again.
    Clemson and FSU can be in separate division to give balance and the greatest potential ACCCG.
    Everyone gets to Florida.
    Everyone gets to every state/region in division (next best thing to getting to all 13 campuses in 4 years)
    I believe Clemson may be in the camp that would support a north/south alignment. It would get to keep its historic rivalries with GT and NC State as well as its new found rivalry with FSU. The Clemson-FSU rivalry didn't really form until "Bowden Bowl I." With a north/south alignment Clemson can still advocate keeping an 8 game conference schedule (even if the ACC were to expand to 16 members). Nothing can beat having your cake and eat it too .

N-S alignment would suck for VT. I'd like us to play the sorts of Clemson, FSU, GT, NCState, and Miami. Not quite as interested in Pitt, Syracuse, et al.

I wouldn't mind an Old ACC (original 7) vs. New ACC though (at least we'd get FSU and Miami).
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I believe Clemson may be in the camp that would support a north/south alignment. It would get to keep its historic rivalries with GT and NC State as well as its new found rivalry with FSU. The Clemson-FSU rivalry didn't really form until "Bowden Bowl I." With a north/south alignment Clemson can still advocate keeping an 8 game conference schedule (even if the ACC were to expand to 16 members). Nothing can beat having your cake and eat it too .

N-S alignment would suck for VT. I'd like us to play the sorts of Clemson, FSU, GT, NCState, and Miami. Not quite as interested in Pitt, Syracuse, et al.

I wouldn't mind an Old ACC (original 7) vs. New ACC though (at least we'd get FSU and Miami).
    I never said it wouldn't suck for VT. I believe most schools (if not all) look out for their interests first and then worry about another school's interest. For example, the n/s alignment would suck for Wake because it would be the only NC school in the north division. I don't believe Clemson would be willing to sacrifice its annual game with GT, FSU, or NC State in order for Wake to fulfill one of its interest (example purposes only). Likewise it could be the end of the annual UVA-UNC game unless the ACC decides to give every school 1 protected cross-divisional game. If the ACC is going to keep the protected cross-divisional game, then most schools would be in favor of keeping the zipper model in some form.

I don't see the being in the North Division as necessarily a bad thing. If VT is shifting its recruiting focus to the north, then it would be in VT's best interest to play more games in those regions/states. I firmly believe that playing games in states or region you want to recruit from is the best recruiting tool. It allows a recruit to go watch the game live without using an official visit. Likewise, the program will get additional coverage from the opponent's local media that normally wouldn't be given if VT was playing someone else. For example the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette will give VT more coverage when VT is playing @Pittsburgh than it would if VT was playing @BC. Typically the local media will provide slightly less coverage when their team is playing an away game because their is less motivation to drum up local support. If the media is able to drum up local support, then it should translate into more revenue for the local business since people are spending that money for football-related activies (i.e. tailgates, cookouts, etc).

Took some of the great ideas from this board over the past week and combined them with my own in hopes of balancing ACC priorities. Posted it on the Sabre too. Here is what I came up with...

ICYMI: justification for placing rivals in separate divisions
    From my past writings...
    Here are games that need to be protected in permanent crossover rivalry games:
    VT-UVa (Commonwealth Cup) Miami-FSU (Florida rivalry)
    BC-Syracuse (old Eastern powers rivalry)
    NCSt-UNC (NC public school rivalry)
    Wake-Duke (NC private school rivalry)
    Clemson-GT (Deep South rivalry)
    Louisville-Pitt (Ohio River Valley/former Big East rivalry).
    I appreciate all the thought going into your post. I don't think the ACC is smart or ambitious enough to come up with a scheduling plan like yours.

As noted earlier by another poster, NCSU and Clemson also have a long running rivalry. I don't think Louisville and Pitt is a rivalry and both wouldn't be disappointed if it was included on your list. I understand the Ohio River Valley thing but that is more about Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Pitt has a long standing rivalry with Syracuse. If the ACC added Cincinnati, then Louisville would have a natural rivalry. The same can be said of with UConn and BC if UConn ever got an ACC invitation.