Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    JJ isn't so sure he will be back according to one of the articles linked on the front of TSL Monday - daily press or Roanoke Times.
    I can't find it - link?

Here is the link. See if I get the link right. The comment is about halfway down the article.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/col...tory?track=rss

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    I can't find it - link?

Can we at least look at Rick Stansbury...if he can recruit like he did to Starkville, MS, why not Bburg?

I think we will start to see that next year when he has more of his guys. We are still seriously undermanned right now. Too much reliance on walk-ons. We rely heavily on 3 frosh, 3 sophs, and 3 walk-ons. Not good.
    So last night we ended up playing one walk-on for 3 minutes.

We played 9 scholarship guys, 8 of them 10 minutes or more. We got 57 minutes combined from our top 2 PG's. Our distribution of minutes was very similar to SU's.

You can't tell me we can't come out of one timeout and show some full-court pressure (just as Syracuse did last night).

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post

We played 9 scholarship guys, 8 of them 10 minutes or more. We got 57 minutes combined from our top 2 PG's. Our distribution of minutes was very similar to SU's.

You can't tell me we can't come out of one timeout and show some full-court pressure (just as Syracuse did last night).
    I, and probably most Tech fans, wasn't surprised by the outcome. Syracuse's talent and depth took over in the final 15 minutes. According to Scout recruiting ratings, Cuse had 2 Five star, 7 Four star (one of those C.J. Fair), and 1 Three star players listed in the box score while Tech had 3 Four star (Eddie, Raines, and Barksdale---all Greenberg signees), 1 Three star (Wood--another Greenberg signee), and 5 Two star players (all except JVZ being J.J.'s signees). Plus there was a huge disadvantage in coaching with J.J. going against a college basketball coaching legend Jim Boeheim.

I expect the same results whenever Tech faces superior talent and coaching. Things could get ugly on the road against teams like Pitt and Duke. Tech needs to win its next 2 games (very winnable home games BC and Clemson) or it could be a really long winter in Blacksburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I, and probably most, Tech fans weren't surprised by the outcome. Syracuse's talent and depth took over in the final 15 minutes. According to Scout recruiting ratings, Cuse had 2 Five star, 7 Four star (one of those C.J. Fair), and 1 Three star players listed in the box score while Tech had 3 Four star (Eddie, Raines, and Barksdale---all Greenberg signees), 1 Three star (Wood--another Greenberg signee), and 5 Two star players (all except JVZ being J.J.'s signees). Plus there was a huge disadvantage in coaching with J.J. going against a college basketball coaching legend Jim Boeheim.

I expect the same results whenever Tech faces superior talent and coaching. Things could get ugly on the road against teams like Pitt and Duke. Tech needs to win its next 2 games (very winnable home games BC and Clemson) or it could be a really long winter in Blacksburg.
    trust me, I'm comparing us to Syracuse in no other way than distribution of minutes

I was pleasantly surprised how well we attacked the zone in the first half and how little we turned the ball over overall...and how we were able to continue to be a threat into the 2nd half...but, like you, not surprised at all with the outcome

Johnson shouldn't have been hired in the first place. This reminds me of Jim Zorn with the Redskins because Johnson was brought into a situation that was way above his head. Sorry but with no head coaching experience to speak of before last season and a drop in recruiting, he should be ousted. Tech was getting high 4-stars and low 5-stars under Greenberg but the last two have been no better than high 3's in a very competitive ACC

For the most part, those that transferred while Greenberg was coach were stuck as back ups with the exception of Witherspoon. Johnson was hired to keep 'continuity' but Tech has had as much turnover on the roster and recruiting as anybody in the NCAA.
    Last edited by adultswim1984; Thu Jan 09 2014 at 12:21 AM.

I suppose it is possible, but I am not sure they have had time to practice it with injuries, flu etc. Would really have to ask JJ if he says chance to do so this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post

What do they practice? Apparently it's not fundamentals

I suppose it is possible, but I am not sure they have had time to practice it with injuries, flu etc. Would really have to ask JJ if he says chance to do so this year.

Quote Originally Posted by adultswim1984 View Post
    Johnson shouldn't have been hired in the first place. This reminds me of Jim Zorn with the Redskins because Johnson was brought into a situation that was way above his head. Sorry but with no head coaching experience to speak of before last season and a drop in recruiting, he should be ousted. Tech was getting high 4-stars and low 5-stars under Greenberg but the last two have been no better than high 3's in a very competitive ACC
    JJ has had 2 classes...I don't think it's very fair to pass much judgment on 2012 given how/when the hiring/firing process went.

The 2013 class looks so far to be pretty strong, regardless of how many stars sat next to their names. With the exception of the Delaney, Allen, et al class, I'm not sure which of Greenberg's freshman classes looked better as freshmen.