Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    but, again, I'm not even talking about being a "high pressure team." we've played some 2-3 zone this year, but I wouldn't call us a "zone team."

maybe one spurt coming out of a timeout per game. maybe 5 mins/game.

and play Adam Smith at the point. I know folks say "oh, he's not a PG." Well, it's not like we'd be asking Raines to play the point. Smith played the point for UNCW and can do it as a backup for us.
    If he's ever healthy, which doesn't look promising this year.

but, again, I'm not even talking about being a "high pressure team." we've played some 2-3 zone this year, but I wouldn't call us a "zone team."

and play Adam Smith at the point. I know folks say "oh, he's not a PG." Well, it's not like we'd be asking Raines to play the point. Smith played the point for UNCW and can do it as a backup for us.
    yea, i agree. nothing wrong with an occasional press. it's a good momentum builder and syracuse does that too. cooney (their 2) plays point when needed too. imo, i don't think our lack of pg depth is as big of a problem as some want to make it.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

We can't even get him on the court these days.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    We can't even get him on the court these days.
    understood, he's hurt now, but he was full strength for 8 games and likely will be back on the court again this season

understood, he's hurt now, but he was full strength for 8 games and likely will be back on the court again this season
    Well I definitely agree he should be playing PG as much as possible. We don't have a PG coming in next year but we do have guys who should get minutes at the 2-3 spots. PG right now is only Wilson and Mueller next year, if one goes down we're right back to having the same problem as this year. JJ can't afford to punt next year. It would be best for everyone involved if Adam Smith became a solid PG.

What you are seeing is the youth. We are relying heavily on freshmen and sopohmores. They all need experience and time in the weight room. They will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    In only his second year Greenberg had his team in the NIT. JJs style of play isn't much better than Greenberg's so far. He runs too much one on one offense when we are under talented. He needs to focus on the fundamentals more. There's no reason to have a team so sloppy. If he doesn't pick the pace up and show us something next year he should be gone.

According to the Daily Press article on the front page of TSL on Monday, JJ said the attrition and injuries made him pull back on his plans to implement the things he wanted.Like pressing.

We're not relying heavily on 3 walk-ons. They're 8th, 11th, and 12th on the team in minutes played and 10th, 11th, and 12th in points scored. Even with the injury/doghouse issues we've had. Maybe you can count Johnston as heavily relied upon, but that'd be it.

Those 6 sophs/frosh plus 2 frosh that are practicing but not playing are the core that are going to determine JJ's fate at VT...I wouldn't be waiting around to implement what I want to do.

I agree. I suspect it will also be an advantage to have fewer of Seth's players still around. I think it will be an advantage to have his second class available. I like what Rev has said about the kids coming in next year. The only problem next year is we will still be young. We should be turning gold in 2 years though when he gets class # 3.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    I think JJ's hands are tied behind his back (again) due to the roster. You can't do much ball pressure with only one PG available to play (and a freshman at that)!

So sadly, we write another year off, and pray that we have a full roster next year and don't lose any players next year to injury/transfer/doghouse.

JJ isn't so sure he will be back according to one of the articles linked on the front of TSL Monday - daily press or Roanoke Times.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    JJ isn't so sure he will be back according to one of the articles linked on the front of TSL Monday - daily press or Roanoke Times.
    big bummer