Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 102
  1. #51
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Who was lead recruiter on those guys? JJ. JJ was the lead recruiter on almost the entire roster that he inherited. It's his roster as much as Seth's.
    Sort of. He was recruiting guys to play on Seth's team.

    The fact that they came to VT is a strong indication that JJ had a good relationship with them.

    The fact that they came to VT does not necessarily mean that they're the guys JJ would've targeted had he been the head man.

    So they're "JJ's guys" more than they'd have been any other coach's guys, but they're not really 100% "his" guys.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    September 23, 2002
    Posts
    17,570
    Quote Originally Posted by soflahokie View Post
    I agree, JJ has scoured the country for guys who fit into his system and want to play for him.
    What do we think his system is?

  3. #53
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    What do we think his system is?
    that's really what I'm starting to wonder about

    I thought defensive pressure (often fullcourt) was supposed to be a calling card. I'll give him a pass for last year given the lack of personnel, but there's been really no sign of it this year either.

    Up-tempo we've seen from time-to-time...and we've looked good doing it...but it seems to be disappearing. I kept waiting for us to crank it up and run on UNC-G, but we just ground our way to a loss played in the 50's...

  4. #54

    Join Date
    September 23, 2002
    Posts
    17,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    that's really what I'm starting to wonder about

    I thought defensive pressure (often fullcourt) was supposed to be a calling card. I'll give him a pass for last year given the lack of personnel, but there's been really no sign of it this year either.

    Up-tempo we've seen from time-to-time...and we've looked good doing it...but it seems to be disappearing. I kept waiting for us to crank it up and run on UNC-G, but we just ground our way to a loss played in the 50's...
    Yeah, I have to say it's very disappointing. I mean it's not like we had anything to lose by implementing something new and creative. We were predicted to finish last. Everyone was expecting a catastrophe anyway and would've likely been forgiving of poor results if we could see that it was in service of the implementation of a legitimate system. That is, 7-23 where we're actually moving toward a specific strategy for the future would be preferable to 13-17 (or whatever) doing the same old, same old.

    It just doesn't seem like he has a lot of credibility right now when it comes to having a system, much less one that involves up-tempo play and/or full court defense.

  5. #55
    maddogbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10, 2001
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    644
    He does not have the personnel yet to really implement it. Only one pg. And he is a freshman. We have 3 walk-ons being used regularly and have a number of injuries that have hurt. Some of the frontcourt guys seem questionable for what he says he wants to run. I think he needs to get at least one more class of recruits in (maybe two). You mention UNCG - we basically only played 6 players. Tough to press and run with just 6.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    that's really what I'm starting to wonder about

    I thought defensive pressure (often fullcourt) was supposed to be a calling card. I'll give him a pass for last year given the lack of personnel, but there's been really no sign of it this year either.

    Up-tempo we've seen from time-to-time...and we've looked good doing it...but it seems to be disappearing. I kept waiting for us to crank it up and run on UNC-G, but we just ground our way to a loss played in the 50's...

  6. #56
    maddogbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10, 2001
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    644
    Not really. JJ recruited who SG told him to recruit. The boss runs the show not the assistant.

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Who was lead recruiter on those guys? JJ. JJ was the lead recruiter on almost the entire roster that he inherited. It's his roster as much as Seth's.

  7. #57
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    He does not have the personnel yet to really implement it. Only one pg. And he is a freshman. We have 3 walk-ons being used regularly and have a number of injuries that have hurt. Some of the frontcourt guys seem questionable for what he says he wants to run. I think he needs to get at least one more class of recruits in (maybe two). You mention UNCG - we basically only played 6 players. Tough to press and run with just 6.
    You don't "need" any particular kind of personnel to implement defensive pressure. I'm not talking about playing VCU's havoc or anything. A year-and-a-half and we've seen *very* little beyond vanilla and rather passive defense. I'm not sure we've even seen 40 minutes total of full-court pressure in 40+ games. That's weird.

    As for UNCG, I don't recall any reason that Thompson and Beyer couldn't play more than 4 cumulative minutes. Raines is apparently still partially in the doghouse, but he played 7. CJ played 6, but we can leave him out due to injury concerns. That's 9 guys. And, again, I'm not talking about "press and run" for the whole game...I'm just thinking we should see some of what was purported to be our style against an inferior team that we're struggling to put away.

  8. #58
    maddogbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10, 2001
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    644
    I think if he did that, we would lose more games. One point guard. Few good ball-handlers on our team. Our big guys don't strike me as being good for using pressure. More fouls. Last year, he did not have enough bodies for practice without using walk-ons. I think he is trying to do a balancing act with what he has. I think we will see more as he gets his recruits in to the system. JMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    You don't "need" any particular kind of personnel to implement defensive pressure. I'm not talking about playing VCU's havoc or anything. A year-and-a-half and we've seen *very* little beyond vanilla and rather passive defense. I'm not sure we've even seen 40 minutes total of full-court pressure in 40+ games. That's weird.

    As for UNCG, I don't recall any reason that Thompson and Beyer couldn't play more than 4 cumulative minutes. Raines is apparently still partially in the doghouse, but he played 7. CJ played 6, but we can leave him out due to injury concerns. That's 9 guys. And, again, I'm not talking about "press and run" for the whole game...I'm just thinking we should see some of what was purported to be our style against an inferior team that we're struggling to put away.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    September 23, 2002
    Posts
    17,570
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    I think if he did that, we would lose more games. One point guard. Few good ball-handlers on our team. Our big guys don't strike me as being good for using pressure. More fouls. Last year, he did not have enough bodies for practice without using walk-ons. I think he is trying to do a balancing act with what he has. I think we will see more as he gets his recruits in to the system. JMHO.
    But that's what we're saying...it doesn't matter if we lose more. We finished last place last year. We're not going to win more than 12 or 13 games at the most this year. What difference does it make if we lose 4 or 5 more games last year or this year if it's in the service of beginning to implement a system that is going to define our style of play in the future? I understand it's tempting to try to scratch out every win that you can, especially when you're a first-time coach who wants to keep the job. But I don't think it's a smart long-term job retention strategy. The new AD isn't going to care if JJ wins 35-40 games in his first 3 seasons as opposed to 25. However, he or she might be impressed with the potential of a creative, aggressive system.

    If his strategy is to wait until he's got 3 recruiting classes under his belt before implementing his master plan...I mean, that just isn't going to work.

  10. #60
    maddogbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10, 2001
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    644
    I would disagree with you. Wins are all that counts. You want a coach who can adapt to what he has to get the W. Losing gets you out the door. And more Ls impact team confidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    But that's what we're saying...it doesn't matter if we lose more. We finished last place last year. We're not going to win more than 12 or 13 games at the most this year. What difference does it make if we lose 4 or 5 more games last year or this year if it's in the service of beginning to implement a system that is going to define our style of play in the future? I understand it's tempting to try to scratch out every win that you can, especially when you're a first-time coach who wants to keep the job. But I don't think it's a smart long-term job retention strategy. The new AD isn't going to care if JJ wins 35-40 games in his first 3 seasons as opposed to 25. However, he or she might be impressed with the potential of a creative, aggressive system.

    If his strategy is to wait until he's got 3 recruiting classes under his belt before implementing his master plan...I mean, that just isn't going to work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •