Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokiestud View Post
    James Johnson. Without question.

Unlike your run-of-the-mill message manic/depressive board fan who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, the people in Blacksburg know what a mess Seth left JJ and understand that the situation will not be turned around overnight.
    This may be the dumbest post of your 75,989 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    James Johnson. Freshman class is already producing and he's bringing in another great class.
    I think "great class" might be overstating things a bit. #69 class according to 24-7 (#12 in the ACC). Bibbs is the highest ranked recruit and doesn't crack the Top 100.

The positive comments I've seen from the gurus on the last two classes have been qualified with "given how far behind we were on recruiting" (with the poorly timed coaching changes and the need to replace an entire staff).

I don't think it's a given that JJ will be back if we don't show any signs of progress next year.

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post
    I think "great class" might be overstating things a bit. #69 class according to 24-7 (#12 in the ACC). Bibbs is the highest ranked recruit and doesn't crack the Top 100.

The positive comments I've seen from the gurus on the last two classes have been qualified with "given how far behind we were on recruiting" (with the poorly timed coaching changes and the need to replace an entire staff).

I don't think it's a given that JJ will be back if we don't show any signs of progress next year.
    Hmm, I don't know what I thought I heard about the class, but I had heard it was better than that. Looking at 247, they don't have a rating for Wilson or Emelogu so I"m not sure what to make of their numbers. Rivals has all 3 newcomers as 3 stars. When you only have about 100 4 and 5 star athletes in a year, getting 3, 3 stars is a pretty good get for the last place team in a conference. VT will not get 4 and 5* bball players unless they start winning National Championships, so for Tech, it's a pretty good class.

I hate to feed the fire, but VT had 4 and 5 star players with SG. We still have top 100 guys on the roster. Jarrell Eddie for one. Barksdale was borderline 100 I think. Nobody can say Seth couldn't recruit the stars. Maybe he didn't develop them enough, but he sure got them here. I even think Rankin was in the top 100 at one point, junior year, but then slipped to about 140-150. Not positive of that.

Hmm, I don't know what I thought I heard about the class, but I had heard it was better than that. Looking at 247, they don't have a rating for Wilson or Emelogu so I"m not sure what to make of their numbers. Rivals has all 3 newcomers as 3 stars. When you only have about 100 4 and 5 star athletes in a year, getting 3, 3 stars is a pretty good get for the last place team in a conference. VT will not get 4 and 5* bball players unless they start winning National Championships, so for Tech, it's a pretty good class.

Quote Originally Posted by vatechcowpatty View Post
    I hate to feed the fire, but VT had 4 and 5 star players with SG. We still have top 100 guys on the roster. Jarrell Eddie for one. Barksdale was borderline 100 I think. Nobody can say Seth couldn't recruit the stars. Maybe he didn't develop them enough, but he sure got them here. I even think Rankin was in the top 100 at one point, junior year, but then slipped to about 140-150. Not positive of that.
    Feed it, this board needs discussion.

I don't follow recruiting all that much, just looking at what I see for this year. Not to rehash SG years, but we know he didn't develop teams well, just look at the results of his tenure. As far as JJ's recruiting, he's not necessarily looking for the top guys, regardless of how they play, he's looking for guys that fit his system. Shaka Smart does the same thing. Since he has been the head coach at VCU, he has 1 4* guy, Jordan Burgess. JB is from Richmond and his brother played at VCU, I believe. All the rest are 3* a couple 2* and then not classified (like Emelogu). If JJ gets the athletes he wants, and teaches them how to play in his system, he'll be a good coach. He just does not have the team yet, but IMO is bringing in the right guys to do it.

Malcolm Dealany was a huge get as well. Don't forget Jeff Allan, Zab Dowdell and others

I agree, JJ has scoured the country for guys who fit into his system and want to play for him. SG seemed to just recruit stars, Finney-Smith, Rankin, Barksdale, and Brown were all top 100 recruits according to at least 1 publication and look how that class turned out. Eddie was also a 4 star borderline top 100 and Garland was borderline 4 stars. If these underrated kids JJ is pulling in are high character guys who want to play in the system (unlike a lot of SG's recruits) then I'd prefer them over rankings.

SG had a major problem with kids transferring and I think it had a lot to do with these young guys not knowing what they were getting into with his coaching style. I knew a couple managers and walk-ons on the team during those years and they all talked about how mean SG was in practice. Also his dirty low scoring defensive style was certainly not fitted to high profile kids looking to the NBA.

I have high hopes for this next class, and this class looks to have much more potential than any class since the great class of 2007. I'm really excited about TJ Lang in particular, kid has a HUGE ceiling judging from his father and what his high school coaches are saying.

Feed it, this board needs discussion.

I don't follow recruiting all that much, just looking at what I see for this year. Not to rehash SG years, but we know he didn't develop teams well, just look at the results of his tenure. As far as JJ's recruiting, he's not necessarily looking for the top guys, regardless of how they play, he's looking for guys that fit his system. Shaka Smart does the same thing. Since he has been the head coach at VCU, he has 1 4* guy, Jordan Burgess. JB is from Richmond and his brother played at VCU, I believe. All the rest are 3* a couple 2* and then not classified (like Emelogu). If JJ gets the athletes he wants, and teaches them how to play in his system, he'll be a good coach. He just does not have the team yet, but IMO is bringing in the right guys to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by soflahokie View Post
    I agree, JJ has scoured the country for guys who fit into his system and want to play for him. SG seemed to just recruit stars, Finney-Smith, Rankin, Barksdale, and Brown were all top 100 recruits according to at least 1 publication and look how that class turned out. Eddie was also a 4 star borderline top 100 and Garland was borderline 4 stars. If these underrated kids JJ is pulling in are high character guys who want to play in the system (unlike a lot of SG's recruits) then I'd prefer them over rankings.

SG had a major problem with kids transferring and I think it had a lot to do with these young guys not knowing what they were getting into with his coaching style. I knew a couple managers and walk-ons on the team during those years and they all talked about how mean SG was in practice. Also his dirty low scoring defensive style was certainly not fitted to high profile kids looking to the NBA.

I have high hopes for this next class, and this class looks to have much more potential than any class since the great class of 2007. I'm really excited about TJ Lang in particular, kid has a HUGE ceiling judging from his father and what his high school coaches are saying.
    I do like that JJ seems to have recruited a different group of kids than the previous coach. We'll see if we get a system implemented.

I don't care about the character as much as their skill
    Quote Originally Posted by soflahokie View Post

Who was lead recruiter on those guys? JJ. JJ was the lead recruiter on almost the entire roster that he inherited. It's his roster as much as Seth's.