Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I think next year and make it or brake it for JJ
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    Yep. Sure do. If he "loses" the locker room or coaches start peacing out, then anything goes with the new AD.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    JJ or someone else and why?
    This is a really difficult question--nearly impossible to say without knowing who the AD is going to be. If VT hires, say, a 60-year-old AD, for example, with a history of administrative management rather than leadership then the intention could be for the AD to manage the program during the next few years of transition, in which case JJ's leash gets longer. If a 45-year-old AD is hired who has a history of ambition and has stated a vision for the athletics program then you'll probably see a much shorter leash.

I personally think firing Greenberg was moronic to the highest degree and that hiring JJ was an abomination. If I had been on the Board of Visitors I would have moved to terminate Jim Weaver. I think Johnson should be replaced immediately following the end of this season.

I agree. If vt hires an ad quickly in January , the new guy got time to assess and determine direction..

If vcu and this game is any indicator , we may not see another win..it could be brutal..

I think next year and make it or brake it for JJ
    Maybe. We will see. I'd like to see him get a legit shot but I'd have no problem with the new AD firing JJ after this season if the replacement shows the new ADs focus and commitment to basketball.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

We just really need to get better in developing and recruiting. I understand we are down right now but we are still an ACC school. Seth was bringing big names quickly. We need someone who can do the same
    Maybe. We will see. I'd like to see him get a legit shot but I'd have no problem with the new AD firing JJ after this season if the replacement shows the new ADs focus and commitment to basketball.

We just really need to get better in developing and recruiting. I understand we are down right now but we are still an ACC school. Seth was bringing big names quickly. We need someone who can do the same
    Yep, and the sooner we get started the better. So I have my fingers crossed that new AD will be in place soon enough to make it happen this year.

JJ or someone else and why?
    How do ticket sales (not actual attendance) compare this year compared to Greenberg's last year?

IIRC, the actual timing of Ricky Stokes firing was due to a significant reduction in ticket sales. His record up to 2003 definitely had his seat getting warm, but I recall Weaver saying that reduction in basketball revenue is what tipped the scales in the firing decision as opposed to giving him "one more year".

No matter what happens the rest of the way this year, James Johnson will be the coach in 2014-2015. As for 2015-2016, that's a VERY different story... though I don't think the bar is that high for next season either.

As for who we get after Johnson, I think we need to at least wait and see who the next AD is. And see what the landscape looks like in 2 or 3 years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie360 View Post
    How do ticket sales (not actual attendance) compare this year compared to Greenberg's last year?

IIRC, the actual timing of Ricky Stokes firing was due to a significant reduction in ticket sales. His record up to 2003 definitely had his seat getting warm, but I recall Weaver saying that reduction in basketball revenue is what tipped the scales in the firing decision as opposed to giving him "one more year".
    I agree that it's going to be about ticket sales. That will ultimately be the deciding factor. I'm not sure how the sales compared to Greenberg's last year, but visually, it looks horrible.

I would have to believe a new AD isn't going to give a 4th year if he doesn't see something significant next season. JJ needs to be in NCAA contention at a minimum (which implies a NIT berth) with good recruits continuing to come in.

too bad no one knows which bunch of junk you're referring to.
    LOL, I loved this response