Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    I suppose it is possible, but I am not sure they have had time to practice it with injuries, flu etc. Would really have to ask JJ if he says chance to do so this year.
    They've had months. You don't have to ask JJ to know that there's been a chance. He's not made it a priority and that's clearly his prerogative.

We did show a few minutes of press in one of the early games, so it has been practiced/played...but I can only remember that one time (and which game it was escapes me...maybe WVU?).

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    They've had months. You don't have to ask JJ to know that there's been a chance. He's not made it a priority and that's clearly his prerogative.

We did show a few minutes of press in one of the early games, so it has been practiced/played...but I can only remember that one time (and which game it was escapes me...maybe WVU?).
    If JJ has decided to not implement a pressing defense and uptempo offense for whatever reasons, then I wonder how much he truly wants to run those styles or if he is using that as an "excuse" to buy himself more time. I understand the need for a head coach to maximize his players' strengths. However, it appears JJ wants to implement the exact opposite of SG, which could mean having to recruit a completely different type of player. I would think he is only hurting his sales pitch if he doesn't at least attempt to run his style of offense more against beatable opponents. It would at least give him some game film to show potential recruits and basically say to them, "this is what we want to run, but the program needs you in order to do it against the better teams." For the opponent that are significantly more talented than VT, I have no problem seeing JJ run a really conversative gameplan to try to minimize the talent gap as much as possible. Although I would like to see JJ implement his desired scheme a few times during the game because I think it could help with his sales pitch since it would reinforce the idea that the team currently does not have the talent level to run it and be successful against the more talented teams.

At times it has seemed that JJ appears to be "lost" as a head coach. Now I am wondering if he may be in over his head and would have been better served to cut his head coaching teeth at a non-high profile mid-major school. I say that because I believe the high profile mid-major schools place the same amount pressure on the head coach as the major programs (even ones that finish dead last in the conference).

And his 2nd class is not on campus yet.

JJ has had 2 classes...I don't think it's very fair to pass much judgment on 2012 given how/when the hiring/firing process went.

The 2013 class looks so far to be pretty strong, regardless of how many stars sat next to their names. With the exception of the Delaney, Allen, et al class, I'm not sure which of Greenberg's freshman classes looked better as freshmen.

I don't know. You would have to ask him for the details.

JJ has had 2 classes...I don't think it's very fair to pass much judgment on 2012 given how/when the hiring/firing process went.

The 2013 class looks so far to be pretty strong, regardless of how many stars sat next to their names. With the exception of the Delaney, Allen, et al class, I'm not sure which of Greenberg's freshman classes looked better as freshmen.
    I think we all forget that he bailed after the season to be an assistant at Clemson two years ago. Greenberg strung good recruiting classes throughout his tenure. Zabian Dowdell, Jamon Gordon, and Coleman Collins were his first and then brought AD Vassallo, Deron Washington, Malcolm Delaney, Jeff Allen, & Erick Green. Tech has lost two entire classes with the 2011 and 2012 classses. Marshall Wood shows promise but the loss of Montrezl Harrell who ended up with national champion Louisville hurts.

Results matter and loosing to South Carolina Upstate (recently moved from Div. II, 16-17 last season) & UNCG (9-22 last season) are not great omens.

Quote Originally Posted by adultswim1984 View Post
    I think we all forget that he bailed after the season to be an assistant at Clemson two years ago. Greenberg strung good recruiting classes throughout his tenure. Zabian Dowdell, Jamon Gordon, and Coleman Collins were his first and then brought AD Vassallo, Deron Washington, Malcolm Delaney, Jeff Allen, & Erick Green.
    Gordon and Collins were Stokes recruits, Dowdell came with SG

Deron came in with a class of 4 other guys...none of those 4 finished at VT...2 of them were 4-stars and combined to play 1 year for VT

Those were SG's first 2 classes.

Quote Originally Posted by adultswim1984 View Post
    Results matter and loosing to South Carolina Upstate (recently moved from Div. II, 16-17 last season) & UNCG (9-22 last season) are not great omens.
    They absolutely matter and it's not gone well so far in that department...I'm not sure anyone is claiming any differently.

Here is an article where JJ discussed pressing/pressure defense. The comments are about halfway through. Sorry but that is all I know.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/col...tory?track=rss

Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    Here is an article where JJ discussed pressing/pressure defense. The comments are about halfway through. Sorry but that is all I know.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/col...tory?track=rss
    yes, I read it the first time you referred to it

I understand that he's choosing not to do certain things...and I'm questioning it

It's not been some sort of impossibility to implement some pressure defense...he apparently is choosing not to...I understand the reasoning in the article, I just think it may be a mistake

And now with Miami looking to have found a gear I didn't know they had with their upset over UNC in Chapel Hill, should they keep playing like that, it is likely we are heading for a basement finish in the ACC this season.

For those who have compared JJ to Coach K as far as being a brand new coach in the ACC, it took Coach K 3 years to get Duke rolling again after he took over. And he took that job a year when Duke was coming after an Elite 8 appearance, and 3 seasons after they went to the National Championship Game. It took Duke 3 years to get back after that. Who knows how long its going to take JJ at a school with zero basketball history whose last tournament appearance was 7 years ago, and that being the only appearance in the past decade and a half. And we're now playing in a far more loaded conference than what Duke had to deal with in 1980.

This will be a slow process, but its going to be even slower than even the staunchest defenders wanted to admit early on. I'm really not sure the fans or administration are going to be willing to sit back for 5 years minimum its going to take for this program to be showing a pulse again. This was a mistake hire from the day it was announced.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    And now with Miami looking to have found a gear I didn't know they had with their upset over UNC in Chapel Hill, should they keep playing like that, it is likely we are heading for a basement finish in the ACC this season.

For those who have compared JJ to Coach K as far as being a brand new coach in the ACC, it took Coach K 3 years to get Duke rolling again after he took over. And he took that job a year when Duke was coming after an Elite 8 appearance, and 3 seasons after they went to the National Championship Game. It took Duke 3 years to get back after that. Who knows how long its going to take JJ at a school with zero basketball history whose last tournament appearance was 7 years ago, and that being the only appearance in the past decade and a half. And we're now playing in a far more loaded conference than what Duke had to deal with in 1980.

This will be a slow process, but its going to be even slower than even the staunchest defenders wanted to admit early on. I'm really not sure the fans or administration are going to be willing to sit back for 5 years minimum its going to take for this program to be showing a pulse again. This was a mistake hire from the day it was announced.
    Coach K was also the head coach at Army for 5 years before taking the Duke job. JJ never had any head coaching experience. That, added on with coaching in the competitive ACC, has put him behind the eight ball. It appears that JJ was placed in a position to fail. Maybe he will turn things around, but things don't look too promising for him. Like I said before, JJ may end up being a successful head coach one day but it probably won't be at Tech.