Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    And now with Miami looking to have found a gear I didn't know they had with their upset over UNC in Chapel Hill, should they keep playing like that, it is likely we are heading for a basement finish in the ACC this season.
    There are other competitors for the basement, and I seriously doubt Miami will be in that gear all year...it was game against a really inconsistent team

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post

It's not been some sort of impossibility to implement some pressure defense...he apparently is choosing not to...I understand the reasoning in the article, I just think it may be a mistake
    He tried to implement pressure last year...that was about when the wheels fell off the bus last season. Teams were easily getting past it (88-52 loss to CSU illustrated it). I really think not having a backup PG daggered our chances for more pressure this year.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    And now with Miami looking to have found a gear I didn't know they had with their upset over UNC in Chapel Hill, should they keep playing like that, it is likely we are heading for a basement finish in the ACC this season.

For those who have compared JJ to Coach K as far as being a brand new coach in the ACC, it took Coach K 3 years to get Duke rolling again after he took over. And he took that job a year when Duke was coming after an Elite 8 appearance, and 3 seasons after they went to the National Championship Game. It took Duke 3 years to get back after that. Who knows how long its going to take JJ at a school with zero basketball history whose last tournament appearance was 7 years ago, and that being the only appearance in the past decade and a half. And we're now playing in a far more loaded conference than what Duke had to deal with in 1980.

This will be a slow process, but its going to be even slower than even the staunchest defenders wanted to admit early on. I'm really not sure the fans or administration are going to be willing to sit back for 5 years minimum its going to take for this program to be showing a pulse again. This was a mistake hire from the day it was announced.
    It was a no-win situation for any coach we could afford. Our only hope is that JJ can get things going soon, or at least leave a quality roster behind for someone else.