Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

who will be the coach at the start of the 2015 season

JJ or someone else and why?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    Greenberg. The whole firing him things was staged. Think about it.

Weaver fires Greenberg>Greenberg goes to ESPN>Weaver retires>new AD hires Seth back

It's all so perfect and yet so simple. Weaver knew he was going to retire, but wanted one last shot to bring the basketball program up. So he "fired" Greenberg under the condition that he would be hired back in a couple of years. In the meantime, he would become such a big ESPN personality that his return to VT would bring top recruits and tons of coverage to the program.

I don't know who the new coach might be, but would not be shocked if JJ was replaced at the end of this season. Weaver's departure has opened up that possibility.

An incoming AD could decide that there is no advantage to waiting to cut the last ties to the Weaver era so he can get a fresh start on rebuilding the program as quickly as possible - especially if this team turns out to be largely uncompetitive in conference play and this ACC season turns ugly.

Undoubtedly there are those who will say that is unfair to JJ, who hasn't had enough time to build his program. But from a new AD's perspective, if he doesn't sense the present situation can provide the direction to achieve his program goals the way he would like, I can see him making a rapid move to a new coach in order to "get the show on the road".

who will be the coach at the start of the 2015 season? JJ or someone else and why?
    JJ. I think he will get at least 3 years (4 more than likely) total to prove himself, even with a new AD. i think some of his recruits are showing potential and the class for next year looks pretty solid for VT. I just think there are too many collateral issues going on right now to truly evaluate his ability.

The good thing about being a lower level ACC program is that you have the ability to let things play out a little bit longer. I mean what's the harm really? It's sad but true.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    I don't know who the new coach might be, but would not be shocked if JJ was replaced at the end of this season. Weaver's departure has opened up that possibility.

An incoming AD could decide that there is no advantage to waiting to cut the last ties to the Weaver era so he can get a fresh start on rebuilding the program as quickly as possible - especially if this team turns out to be largely uncompetitive in conference play and this ACC season turns ugly.

Undoubtedly there are those who will say that is unfair to JJ, who hasn't had enough time to build his program. But from a new AD's perspective, if he doesn't sense the present situation can provide the direction to achieve his program goals the way he would like, I can see him making a rapid move to a new coach in order to "get the show on the road".
    The last ties? Wouldn't that be the "first" tie since every other coach was hired by JW (except for CFB)?
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    JJ. I think he will get at least 3 years (4 more than likely) total to prove himself, even with a new AD. i think some of his recruits are showing potential and the class for next year looks pretty solid for VT. I just think there are too many collateral issues going on right now to truly evaluate his ability.

The good thing about being a lower level ACC program is that you have the ability to let things play out a little bit longer. I mean what's the harm really? It's sad but true.
    Could some of the collateral issues include the potential legal ramifications if JJ is terminated? I pose that question because every year I see at least 1 new story talk about how there are not enough minority head coaches in college athletics (especially basketball and football). So I would think when 1 is terminated, then that would place more national attention and scrutiny on the school. The more scrutiny placed on a school, then the greater potential it could turn into a legal matter which is never good for the school's public image. I am not suggesting the termination of JJ would result in a legal matter, but I would think that would have to weigh on the new AD's mind. Given that VT has had enough negative news associated with it in the last 10 years, I would think the administration would approach the situation conservatively to ensure it doesn't find itself associated with bad more press even if the termination was justified.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Could some of the collateral issues include the potential legal ramifications if JJ is terminated? I pose that question because every year I see at least 1 new story talk about how there are not enough minority head coaches in college athletics (especially basketball and football). So I would think when 1 is terminated, then that would place more national attention and scrutiny on the school. The more scrutiny placed on a school, then the greater potential it could turn into a legal matter which is never good for the school's public image. I am not suggesting the termination of JJ would result in a legal matter, but I would think that would have to weigh on the new AD's mind. Given that VT has had enough negative news associated with it in the last 10 years, I would think the administration would approach the situation conservatively to ensure it doesn't find itself associated with bad more press even if the termination was justified.
    fair enough question. in this day and age, i think race is a component. how much of a component? i don't know. i think it changes based on the situation. was there any scrutiny when frank haith was replaced with larranaga or when oliver purnell was replaced with brownell? i can't really see how it would be an issue at VT but who knows.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

The longer it takes into 2014 to pick an AD the less likely it is that JJ gets run after this season, and I don't think it would be fair if he did. But if we don't see progress next season he's probably gone.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    fair enough question. in this day and age, i think race is a component. how much of a component? i don't know. i think it changes based on the situation. was there any scrutiny when frank haith was replaced with larranaga or when oliver purnell was replaced with brownell? i can't really see how it would be an issue at VT but who knows.
    I don't think race would be much of a component in the decision or at least I hope not because the decision should be based on the product on the court. However, I could see VT potentially get extra public scrutiny than say Miami because VT has been in the national news more for non-athletic related events (i.e. the shooting, the escaped prisoner, and I believe there have been a couple smaller incidents that I heard about through the BBC). Even though they should have no bearing on the AD's decision, it is possible that those events have influenced how people view VT (right or wrong). There are groups out there whose sole purpose is to catch entities who "slip up" and expose them to the public. The "slip ups" don't even have to violate a law because they hold these entities to a "higher standard;" social justice. Given VT's recent colorful history, I could see one of these groups view VT as an easy target. Even if they don't have a case against VT, they can still "win" because public perception will equate VT with this negative news. Most people won't follow the case too closely and probably won't know the outcome unless it is covered in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    The longer it takes into 2014 to pick an AD the less likely it is that JJ gets run after this season, and I don't think it would be fair if he did. But if we don't see progress next season he's probably gone.
    If the university's stated goal of hiring a new AD by February is met, that won't be an issue. But yes, JJ is probably safe as long as the new AD hasn't been selected. He's also safe if it takes as long to get a new AD on board as it did for Weaver's timing to fire Greenberg, which as we all have observed firsthand, is too deep into the year to make a coaching change.
    Last edited by NC Hoke; Fri Dec 27 2013 at 01:20 PM.