Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If Raines played with Beyer's heart he would be unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    If Raines played with Beyer's heart he would be unstoppable.
    Raines has played hard EVERY time I've seen him live. He has a little bit of edge to him from what I've seen. If JJ is sitting him because he's mixed it up with guys in practice or if he's said some things that aren't so nice but maybe need to be said...that's even more disturbing because this team IS SOFT outside of Wilson and Emelogu...and I've never thought of Raines as soft...if anything he's gotten dumb fouls due to being too physical or due to retaliation out of frustration. What ticks me off is that he probably has more toughness than most in the team, but isn't playing. If he's being benched because that "edge" is being misdirected or not harnessed correctly, that too is an indictment on JJ.

Point is...either suspend him for conduct detrimental, or have a final come to Jesus "do this or else" meeting with him and get him to buy in all the way...those are the two options a coach with good leadership would give

I work with a guy that is related to JJ. Word of mouth is JJ is unhappy with CR's inconsistent effort and if he doesn't get the effort every time he's not going to play

Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    Raines has played hard EVERY time I've seen him live. He has a little bit of edge to him from what I've seen. If JJ is sitting him because he's mixed it up with guys in practice or if he's said some things that aren't so nice but maybe need to be said...that's even more disturbing because this team IS SOFT outside of Wilson and Emelogu...and I've never thought of Raines as soft...if anything he's gotten dumb fouls due to being too physical or due to retaliation out of frustration. What ticks me off is that he probably has more toughness than most in the team, but isn't playing. If he's being benched because that "edge" is being misdirected or not harnessed correctly, that too is an indictment on JJ.

Point is...either suspend him for conduct detrimental, or have a final come to Jesus "do this or else" meeting with him and get him to buy in all the way...those are the two options a coach with good leadership would give
    I agree with your characterization of Raines.

Bottom line, good coaches can draw out what they need from players. Raines isn't going around committing crimes. The fact we have arguably our best post player (who is a redshirt senior) sitting on the bench while we drop games left and right is an indictment of both the player and coach.

Right on the money. Raines might be too tough for the rest of the team and they didn't handle it well and as a result... JJ didn't hadn't it well. I like Raines and I think he is our best player but benching him is absurd unless he's being saved for the ACC stretch and is just going to explode when he hits the court. JJ hasn't handled this well in my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    I agree with your characterization of Raines.

Bottom line, good coaches can draw out what they need from players. Raines isn't going around committing crimes. The fact we have arguably our best post player (who is a redshirt senior) sitting on the bench while we drop games left and right is an indictment of both the player and coach.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    Right on the money. Raines might be too tough for the rest of the team and they didn't handle it well and as a result... JJ didn't hadn't it well. I like Raines and I think he is our best player but benching him is absurd unless he's being saved for the ACC stretch and is just going to explode when he hits the court. JJ hasn't handled this well in my opinion
    Problem with that theory is at this point he has completely lost CR mentally.