Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The VCU game showed us there needs to be some changes

I suggest cutting all dead wood now, before the Spring semester. If there are any players who don't want to play in JJ's system, or have any other "issues" where they don't want to play, cut them loose now! That can be a cancer in the program, and it isn't going to get any better when we start into ACC play.

Any kid that wants to play is good in my book. I'll take effort over wasted talent, any day!
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I suggest cutting all dead wood now, before the Spring semester. If there are any players who don't want to play in JJ's system, or have any other "issues" where they don't want to play, cut them loose now! That can be a cancer in the program, and it isn't going to get any better when we start into ACC play.

Any kid that wants to play is good in my book. I'll take effort over wasted talent, any day!
    I didn't put myself through watching the whole game, but I think that should be a given for any school/system in college ball. It seems like attrition is going to happen regardless...and you are correct that this is going to be a rough year for the Hokies - team chemistry cancers or no. Anyone in any system that remains to their Junior/Senior year should, at the very least, have complete buy in to the system and whatever role they need to fill. While I think that VCU has a lot more overall talent than we do, they also seem to have bought into that system 100%...and I don't remember really seeing that from the whole team since the team that took us last to the Big Dance.

Totally agree with that. I'm glad we played last night's game - it really took the blinders away and exposed the state of the program. Any players who don't want to play (or aren't going to play) don't need to be sitting on the bench sulking while our outmatched players are getting slaughtered on the floor - they need to be cut loose, period. The games between the coach and the player need to stop. Enough is enough. Then he needs to get down to business with whoever is left, with refreshed attitudes, and everyone working together with the common goal of restoring respectability to this program.

My concern is not everyone disciplined over the past two years necessarily qualifies as a "cancer."

I hope Cadarian Raines has been stealing stuff, because not playing him a single minute so close to home is straight-up COLD.

Now Barksdale is hurt and might be out for a couple games. Are we going to keep sitting Raines and play with one hand tied behind our back? Are we going to give Beyer 30 minutes and effectively punt our season? Time is ticking...

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    My concern is not everyone disciplined over the past two years necessarily qualifies as a "cancer."

I hope Cadarian Raines has been stealing stuff, because not playing him a single minute so close to home is straight-up COLD.

Now Barksdale is hurt and might be out for a couple games. Are we going to keep sitting Raines and play with one hand tied behind our back? Are we going to give Beyer 30 minutes and effectively punt our season? Time is ticking...
    Beyer had 8 REBs in 16 minutes. I'll take that any game.
    "The point of the journey is not To Arrive"....Neil Peart

Beyer has more effort in his little finger than most of the team put together, I'd much rather him be on the floor than Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by HOaKIE View Post

That's how Greenberg got started. If a player didn't want to play his style of defense, the swinging doors were busy. I agree. It's not a club for ex-high school players.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by HOaKIE View Post
    Not concerned with how many rebounds a backup corrals in a blowout. I love the kid. He's an emergency player only at the ACC level though.

Wood is looking like he didn't work very hard in the offseason. We need to get rid of these guys just goin through the motions. Thompson has the size but gets pushed around like a rag doll inside. If JJ doesn't make changes it'll tell us a lot about him. I also hate this ISO offense it's so dumb. Why go one on one when we are under matched. It's like giving a backup the ball and telling him to take Lebron to the hole. We need to be playing fundamental basketball, cutting and screening
    Quote Originally Posted by soflahokie View Post
    Beyer has more effort in his little finger than most of the team put together, I'd much rather him be on the floor than Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post

My guess is JJ isn't concerned about getting Raines playing time just because he's close to home.. he's obviously not doing something right, or is not giving the same amount of effort as JVZ, or Thompson, or he would be out there. Either way, Raines' skill set is more suited for a half court type of game - which we didn't see against VCU.. but should get more of during ACC play.

As for Beyer... if some of the big guys, like Raines, Barksdale etc had Beyers want to and hustle they'd probably never come off the floor.