Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by vatechcowpatty View Post
    No, because it shows we've overcome such things before, so obviously it can be done again. It shows this isn't the bottom of VT basketball history as some seem to believe. I think many people have short memories or just haven't been following the team long enough. We lost to the best A10 team. We likely are not the worst ACC team (after beating Miami on the road), but are still likely near the bottom. Back in the days of Stokes, we were losing to the best and the worst A10 teams. We were striving to get off the bottom of the A10, not the ACC. I just think as disappointing of a loss as that was, some are overreacting. Like VT basketball can't get any worse. After the last game at Miami, many were talking about how we were going to win more ACC games than we all thought. The young guys are performing better than expected, the future looks bright, maybe we underestimated them, etc. Now, they don't deserve their scholarship and JJ is as good as fired. Quite the turnaround after 1 game. I'm just saying the fans need to temper their reaction a bit. JJ's had a rough situation laid upon him. We can't get that emotional from game to game. It's a long season. So what if Shaka Smart is a better coach. I'm pretty sure Phil Jackson is too. That has nothing to do with whether VT can do better than JJ, because neither of those guys are willing to coach at VT. JJ may be the next Stokes, but he's got to have some more time to try to build a program before we start discussing his replacement. He had to coach last year with half a team, and now this year he's built a team with freshman that were "hidden gems" because he had little time to recruit them. Then you've got the guys he didn't recruit (CJB, Raines, Rankin) all have "issues" this year where they can't play. I think finishing 10-12th in the ACC and getting killed by VCU, MSU, Syr, and UNC would still be a decent improvement for the season. There's no evidence that I see that we aren't improved over last season, which is what is important. By the way, I think this loss is another than Rankin takes a lot of the blame for. His ball handling and quickness would have been a big help when the freshmen were getting overwhelmed.
    I think JJ gets this year and next, which will be the new AD's first full year. If VT doesn't get into a postseason tournament, I think a new coach will be coming in.

I feel we'll be better next year after (a) JJ brings in his second class, and (b) we unload some deadwood that isn't buying into his program.

Really surprised by the players in the latter...one I thought would be a true leader on this year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by mfhokie View Post
    I think JJ gets this year and next, which will be the new AD's first full year. If VT doesn't get into a postseason tournament, I think a new coach will be coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I feel we'll be better next year after (a) JJ brings in his second class, and (b) we unload some deadwood that isn't buying into his program.

Really surprised by the players in the latter...one I thought would be a true leader on this year's team.

I agree with both of you. No way JJ is out after this year, but next could be his make or break year. He has to show some definite improvement. He certainly can't be last in the ACC. He makes the NIT, he's probably safe.

Which shows just how bad a hire it was in the first place. This is his second year of being a head basketball coach at any level and we're now saying if he can't turn around the ship by the end of his third year, it's time to replace him. That's just not fair to him nor us.

This is why you don't see ACC programs hiring first time had coaches in basketball. The bar is set so high by the rest of the league it's nearly impossible for a first time hear coach who is learning on the job to be successful.

Coach JJ is a great guy and it really sucks that guys who were here before he was hired are not only not buying in but actually being legitimate problems, but we never should have hired him to be head coach. We needed a guy with experience in rebuilding programs.

Can we still use this positive thought after today's game? I'm really searching for a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    1. The game finally ended.

2. Tech could've lost by more points.

3. Cadarian Raines is well-rested.

4. Won't be on NBCSN again this season.
    5. We are 9-2 against teams not named Spartans. No more Spartans left on the schedule.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    SteveA