Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disappointing loss, but at least we're in first place in the ACC

Must find the bright side of tonight's loss, and that's all I can come up with.

Suggestions for positive things from tonight's game?
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post

1. The game finally ended.

2. Tech could've lost by more points.

3. Cadarian Raines is well-rested.

4. Won't be on NBCSN again this season.

We are one game closer to the end of the season

The new president, and, AD candidates got a real good look at the enormity of the job they have ahead of them WTR restoring VT basketball respectability.

The worlds coming to and end over on the chat board. Everybody needs fired, and we should all be ashamed of ourselves because VT has never lost a basketball game before.
    At least Will pointed out that yes, we have let a team go on a 32-0 run before. In SGs first year against Rutgers.
    As famous Frank always says, things are never as good as they seem, and things are never as bad as they seem. JJ wins a few games against the Radford/VMIs of the world, and the future looks bright. He get's his butt whipped at VCU and he needs fired.
    The truth is before the game, everybody said it was a bad matchup and we had no chance to win. That's exactly what happened. We could have played better, but our record would still be the same. It has no bearing on the future games where we can have some expectation of winning. We can still exceed expectations this season, as long as the players aren't thinking like the fans. That is the only real negative, if this loss kills the confidence of young guys and ruins the remainder of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    The new president, and, AD candidates got a real good look at the enormity of the job they have ahead of them WTR restoring VT basketball respectability.
    I doubt basketball is on Sands top 10 list right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    I doubt basketball is on Sands top 10 list right now.
    No, but choosing an AD who will deal with it should be.

Why does comparing crap to worse crap make people feel better?
    Quote Originally Posted by vatechcowpatty View Post
    At least Will pointed out that yes, we have let a team go on a 32-0 run before. In SGs first year against Rutgers.

Quote Originally Posted by hokienole View Post
    Why does comparing crap to worse crap make people feel better?
    Its a defense mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    Its a defense mechanism.
    No, because it shows we've overcome such things before, so obviously it can be done again. It shows this isn't the bottom of VT basketball history as some seem to believe. I think many people have short memories or just haven't been following the team long enough. We lost to the best A10 team. We likely are not the worst ACC team (after beating Miami on the road), but are still likely near the bottom. Back in the days of Stokes, we were losing to the best and the worst A10 teams. We were striving to get off the bottom of the A10, not the ACC. I just think as disappointing of a loss as that was, some are overreacting. Like VT basketball can't get any worse. After the last game at Miami, many were talking about how we were going to win more ACC games than we all thought. The young guys are performing better than expected, the future looks bright, maybe we underestimated them, etc. Now, they don't deserve their scholarship and JJ is as good as fired. Quite the turnaround after 1 game. I'm just saying the fans need to temper their reaction a bit. JJ's had a rough situation laid upon him. We can't get that emotional from game to game. It's a long season. So what if Shaka Smart is a better coach. I'm pretty sure Phil Jackson is too. That has nothing to do with whether VT can do better than JJ, because neither of those guys are willing to coach at VT. JJ may be the next Stokes, but he's got to have some more time to try to build a program before we start discussing his replacement. He had to coach last year with half a team, and now this year he's built a team with freshman that were "hidden gems" because he had little time to recruit them. Then you've got the guys he didn't recruit (CJB, Raines, Rankin) all have "issues" this year where they can't play. I think finishing 10-12th in the ACC and getting killed by VCU, MSU, Syr, and UNC would still be a decent improvement for the season. There's no evidence that I see that we aren't improved over last season, which is what is important. By the way, I think this loss is another than Rankin takes a lot of the blame for. His ball handling and quickness would have been a big help when the freshmen were getting overwhelmed.