Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    BUGGZY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15, 2002
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    13,709
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Ok. If you do that, I'd put Miami in the North with us and Louisville in the South. Miami recruits its students in the Northeast, and they originally wanted Boston College and Syracuse in the ACC for that reason. Miami wants to play in the Northeast. Plus it would give everyone in the North some access to Florida. Florida is the recruiting hotbed, and I know that all the coaches want visibility there.
    i don't hate it other than the obvious oddity of having Miami, FL in the North. maybe call it the snowbirds division and the sunbelt division instead?

    so:

    Snowbirds:
    BC
    'Cuse
    Pitt
    uva - UNC protected
    VT
    L'ville
    Miami - FSU protected

    Sunbelt:
    UNC - uva protected
    Wake
    NCSU
    dook
    Clemson
    GT
    FSU - Miami protected

    i'd be ok with that, too...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

  2. #22

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    UVa-UNC should be preserved. And you might even get the notion from UVa and UNC that they would rather play one another than for UVa to play VT or UNC to play Duke/NCSt if given an ultimatum. It's the oldest rivalry in the South and a great tradition.

    Something else to think about. One of the reasons we are at 8 games instead of 9 is that some schools' biggest rivalries are with teams outside the conference and these games are being preserved (e.g. Clemson and South Carolina). So when schools have real rivalries within the conference, I think it is fitting and just that they are preserved too.

    Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    I know UVA/UNC has a long history... but the problem with pods is there are too many teams wanting annual game with UNC. If ACC did go to pods of 3, I don't see how the UNC/UVA game can be kept (at the expense of UNC/Duke and VT/UVA).

  3. #23

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    UVa-UNC should be preserved. And you might even get the notion from UVa and UNC that they would rather play one another than for UVa to play VT or UNC to play Duke/NCSt if given an ultimatum. It's the oldest rivalry in the South and a great tradition.

    Something else to think about. One of the reasons we are at 8 games instead of 9 is that some schools' biggest rivalries are with teams outside the conference and these games are being preserved (e.g. Clemson and South Carolina). So when schools have real rivalries within the conference, I think it is fitting and just that they are preserved too.
    Yes, it should be. But not at the expense of VT/UVA. If you only have 3 teams in a pod... the only way to preserve both is a pod of: VT, UVA, UNC. I think VT and UVA would be fine with it... but UNC would have no annual game with Duke or NCSU.

    If ACC goes to 16, the pod of 4 teams makes it easier: VT, UVA, UNC, Duke. Or swap NCSU for Duke... if that is more important.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    I agree. Both UVa-UNC and UVa-VT should be preserved. And in fairness to the Syracuse AD, when he talks about some rivalries shouldn't be preserved, I don't think he is talking about these two. Or if he is, he's wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    Yes, it should be. But not at the expense of VT/UVA. If you only have 3 teams in a pod... the only way to preserve both is a pod of: VT, UVA, UNC. I think VT and UVA would be fine with it... but UNC would have no annual game with Duke or NCSU.

    If ACC goes to 16, the pod of 4 teams makes it easier: VT, UVA, UNC, Duke. Or swap NCSU for Duke... if that is more important.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 18, 2006
    Posts
    4,112

    What about this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    I agree. Both UVa-UNC and UVa-VT should be preserved. And in fairness to the Syracuse AD, when he talks about some rivalries shouldn't be preserved, I don't think he is talking about these two. Or if he is, he's wrong.
    Louisville to Coastal and GT to Atlantic


    VT crossover is the Clemson Tigers
    Uva is GT
    The VILLE and BC get it on every year.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    From VT's perspective, I'd probably take this deal. But it doesn't address the bigger conference scheduling problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFantastic! View Post
    Louisville to Coastal and GT to Atlantic


    VT crossover is the Clemson Tigers
    Uva is GT
    The VILLE and BC get it on every year.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    June 05, 2003
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    UVa-UNC should be preserved. And you might even get the notion from UVa and UNC that they would rather play one another than for UVa to play VT or UNC to play Duke/NCSt if given an ultimatum. It's the oldest rivalry in the South and a great tradition.

    Something else to think about. One of the reasons we are at 8 games instead of 9 is that some schools' biggest rivalries are with teams outside the conference and these games are being preserved (e.g. Clemson and South Carolina). So when schools have real rivalries within the conference, I think it is fitting and just that they are preserved too.
    It can be handled by naming a designated rival for each team in each of the other PODS. The 2 PODS and the Florida team constitute 6 games. Then you play your two designated rivals from the other 2 PODS over in the Other Division. So if Virginia was in a POD with UNC, its designated Rival in the PITT, NCSTATE, VT POD would be VT. So a designated Rival in each POD could be preserved. NC State is going to want to be playing Clemson every year too as well as UNC. Duke playing Wake Forest. It can be arranged to work.

  8. #28
    Lurker
    Join Date
    December 23, 2013
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    It can be handled by naming a designated rival for each team in each of the other PODS. The 2 PODS and the Florida team constitute 6 games. Then you play your two designated rivals from the other 2 PODS over in the Other Division. So if Virginia was in a POD with UNC, its designated Rival in the PITT, NCSTATE, VT POD would be VT. So a designated Rival in each POD could be preserved. NC State is going to want to be playing Clemson every year too as well as UNC. Duke playing Wake Forest. It can be arranged to work.
    Not sure if that will work without some tweak. Florida teams will have only 7 conference games.

    I'm not a math major but I think the following may work:

    3 anchor teams on each division. And 2 pods of four teams switching a division each year. Each anchor team will have one cross rival, and rotate a team from the other anchor team. Each team in a pod will play two teams in the other pod.

    One example.

    Coastal Atlantic

    Miami FSU
    BC Clemson
    Cuse GT
    Pod 1 Pod 2

    Pod 1: VT, UVA, UNC, Duke
    Pod 2: UL, Pitt, WFU, NC State

    For odd years VT will play
    UVA, UNC, Duke, Miami, BC ,CUSE, UL, WFU

    For even years, VT will play
    UVA, UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, GT, Pitt, NC State

    For odd years, Miami will play
    BC, Cuse, VT, UNC, UVA, Duke, FSU, Clemson

    For even years, Miami will play,
    BC, Cuse, UL, Pitt, WFU, NC State, FSU, GT

    Each team will have three guaranteed rivalry games (every year matchup), and will play all conference foes at least once a two years. Would it work?


  9. #29

    Join Date
    October 14, 2003
    Posts
    10,282
    Am I correct in saying that with your plan, everyone will play everyone in a four-year cycle in we play 9 games but not 8? It also looks like NC State will miss UNC twice in a four-year. Correct?

    If so, maybe we could move the teams round somehow fix that. I just don't want to see the UNC-NCSt series be discontinued.

    The big problem the way I see it is that UNC has 3 games that need to be preserved and UVa has two and one of them is with each other. That's a lot to work around.

    Quote Originally Posted by acis111 View Post

    3 anchor teams on each division. And 2 pods of four teams switching a division each year. Each anchor team will have one cross rival, and rotate a team from the other anchor team. Each team in a pod will play two teams in the other pod.

    One example.

    Coastal Atlantic

    Miami FSU
    BC Clemson
    Cuse GT
    Pod 1 Pod 2

    Pod 1: VT, UVA, UNC, Duke
    Pod 2: UL, Pitt, WFU, NC State

    For odd years VT will play
    UVA, UNC, Duke, Miami, BC ,CUSE, UL, WFU

    For even years, VT will play
    UVA, UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, GT, Pitt, NC State

    For odd years, Miami will play
    BC, Cuse, VT, UNC, UVA, Duke, FSU, Clemson

    For even years, Miami will play,
    BC, Cuse, UL, Pitt, WFU, NC State, FSU, GT

    Each team will have three guaranteed rivalry games (every year matchup), and will play all conference foes at least once a two years. Would it work?


  10. #30

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    1,311
    I am glad the conference will look into the scheduling issue. I agree with the Syracuse AD that playing teams from the other division twice in 12 years is far too long. I hope the conference will recognize this and takes measures deal with it. In order to do so, some schools will just have to give up some things for the better of the conference.

    For example:
    1) The key to seeing more variation in conference opponents is giving up the "must play rivalry games" for some schools. For VT, the only "must play" game is UVa. We would really like to keep the Miami game annually... but can we give it up to see more of FSU, Clemson, Louisville, etc? The worst offender seems to be UNC... with "must play games" against NCSU, Duke and UVa. No other team has 3 sticky games... which makes a 3 team pod impossible.

    2) Moving to 9 games would help quite a bit. The ACC voted to do just that... until the ND agreement was announced. Teams with OOC in-state rivals (FSU, Clemson, GT and Louisville) don't want 9 conference games, plus #10 with their rival, plus #11 with ND every 3 years. Will they be asked to suck it up for the good of the league? Will the league decide to count ND games in the standings to accommodate?

    I don't know if there is some magic formula (like what has been posted by a few folks here) that would meet the needs of every team.

    If it was me, I would set the following goals for the conference meeting:

    - GOAL: Improve the frequency for playing all conference opponents in some fair round-robin type fashion. Strive for a system where every team plays each other at least twice in four years. The fallback should be no worse than twice in six years - the same frequency teams are scheduled to play Notre Dame. The rotation before the most recent expansion (Cuse, Pitt, ND) had teams playing at least twice in five years.

    - GOAL: All in state conference members should play their rival school annually... except for NC teams. VT/UVA, Miami/FSU. The three sticky games required for all NC teams to play annually is likely too many for accomplishing the first goal.

    - GOAL: Avoid the appearance of aligning the league in any form of traditional teams vs. former Big East teams. The goal must be inclusiveness and developing new rivalries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •