Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    In a perfect world, that works. But we don't live in a perfect world and it's gonna take a Act of God miracle to get the NCAA to change the rules they have set up on championship games. There has to be two divisions and one game at the end of the regular season. And everyone in the division has to play each other. As long as we have protected games we are gonna be out of whack in the frequency with which we play teams in the other division.

The easiest thing to do, without going to nine games, is go to a north-south alignment and get rid of the protected crossovers. That allows us to play everyone in the other division at least once every four years and we'll work through them all, home and away, on a seven year cycle.

Unfortunately, that messes up the UVA-UNC rivalry. Add a ninth conference game and we work through the cross-overs, home and away, every five years. UVA and UNC could play each other twice each four years, occasionally skipping an extra year in the cycle. Would they be able to live with that? I don't know. We'd face the same issue with Miami. Could we face playing them two out of every four years and change if it meant we were also playing FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and the Carolina schools twice every four years?
    if winning a 4 team division is all it takes to advance to the playoff, the regular season in college football will have been rendered completely useless. imagine a worst case where the 4 division teams lose every non-division game and end up 3-9, 2-10, 1-11, and 0-12...a 3-9 team (3-5 ACC) would advance to the ACC playoff. now imagine they upset a 12-0 team in the ACC semi-final...i don't like that idea at all.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

If having four divisions means going to 16 teams, I'm against it (unless we are getting ND). Otherwise, going to 16 just to set up an a bunch of NFC Souths will give us two more mouths to feed. I doubt if pays off for the member schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    Just need 4 divisions in each conference. Win your division and advance toward the final four.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    That's really not too different from the rotating pod system. You try to get rivals into the same pods and rotate through the other pods by playing two pods in rotating divisions and the third pod as permanent cross divisional opponents. Same effect... You play everyone twice, home and away, every four years.
    I've always liked the POD idea. I saw recently a suggestion for making Miami permanently in the Coastal and Florida State Permanently in the Atlantic. Then set up 4 PODS of 3 each and have the 4 PODS rotate through the Coastal and the Atlantic. For Instance:

POD1: Clemson, Georgia Tech, Louisville
    POD2: NC State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh
    POD3: North Carolina, Virginia, Duke
    POD4: Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest

These PODS can be adjusted. However, this is a reasonable way to do PODS with 14 since we're going to be waiting on 16. The PODS would work just as you suggest for 4 team PODS. We'd just do it with 3 team PODS leaving Miami and FSU static.

Sounds reasonable. But if anything, I'd prefer to have Clemson (rather than Miami) and FSU in separate divisions. They are by far the two best programs (but not always best "teams") in the conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    I've always liked the POD idea. I saw recently a suggestion for making Miami permanently in the Coastal and Florida State Permanently in the Atlantic. Then set up 4 PODS of 3 each and have the 4 PODS rotate through the Coastal and the Atlantic. For Instance:

These PODS can be adjusted. However, this is a reasonable way to do PODS with 14 since we're going to be waiting on 16. The PODS would work just as you suggest for 4 team PODS. We'd just do it with 3 team PODS leaving Miami and FSU static.

decent idea, but i wonder why those 2? are they adamant about not sharing a division?

if that played out, how would the rotation work? how would you handle the 2 (or 3) non-division games? protect rivalries first, then just fill based on availability/TV ratings?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    Sounds reasonable. But if anything, I'd prefer to have Clemson (rather than Miami) and FSU in separate divisions. They are by far the two best programs (but not always best "teams") in the conference.
    That could work. I think the thinking was that everyone wanted to play in Florida as much as possible. That's why Miami and FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    decent idea, but i wonder why those 2? are they adamant about not sharing a division?

if that played out, how would the rotation work? how would you handle the 2 (or 3) non-division games? protect rivalries first, then just fill based on availability/TV ratings?
    The Miami/FSU idea was to maximize access to Florida for everyone for recruiting. More thought would need to be done for permanent cross division rivalries. For instance UVA and VT will always want a game each year. UNC and NCState would. I hadn't really analyzed that part much further. But this is a way to do PODS with 14. 14 is a bad number, but perhaps this could work somehow.
    Last edited by HOO86; Sun Dec 22 2013 at 02:55 PM.

The Miami/FSU idea was to maximize access to Florida for everyone for recruiting. More thought would need to be done for permanent cross division rivalries. For instance UVA and VT will always want a game each year. UNC and NCState would. I hadn't really analyzed that part much further. But this is a way to do PODS with 14. 14 is a bad number, but perhaps this could work somehow.
    it's interesting, and creative if nothing else, but i think i still lean towards tweaking the divisions and adding a 9th game to solve our problems. i don't like the confusion of sharing a division one year then playing each other for a conference championship the next.

i like North/South with Wake in the north. clean and easy to understand...

BC
    'cuse
    Pitt
    L'ville
    uva - UNC protected
    VT
    Wake - dook protected

UNC - uva protected
    dook - Wake protected
    NCSU
    Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    Miami

by protecting those games but not any forced/fake rivalries, it allows VT to play Miami, FSU and Clemson more often, esp with a 9 game schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    it's interesting, and creative if nothing else, but i think i still lean towards tweaking the divisions and adding a 9th game to solve our problems. i don't like the confusion of sharing a division one year then playing each other for a conference championship the next.

i like North/South with Wake in the north. clean and easy to understand...

BC
    'cuse
    Pitt
    L'ville
    uva - UNC protected
    VT
    Wake - dook protected

UNC - uva protected
    dook - Wake protected
    NCSU
    Clemson
    GT
    FSU
    Miami

by protecting those games but not any forced/fake rivalries, it allows VT to play Miami, FSU and Clemson more often, esp with a 9 game schedule.
    Ok. If you do that, I'd put Miami in the North with us and Louisville in the South. Miami recruits its students in the Northeast, and they originally wanted Boston College and Syracuse in the ACC for that reason. Miami wants to play in the Northeast. Plus it would give everyone in the North some access to Florida. Florida is the recruiting hotbed, and I know that all the coaches want visibility there.

The key to forming the pods is to lock in the annual rivalry games. The assumption is that any team not in your pod will not be an annual game. VT and UVA need to be in the same pod. I know UVA/UNC has a long history... but the problem with pods is there are too many teams wanting annual game with UNC. If ACC did go to pods of 3, I don't see how the UNC/UVA game can be kept (at the expense of UNC/Duke and VT/UVA).

POD2: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh
    POD3: North Carolina, NC State, Duke