Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
A. What I typed doesn't say that. I'm starting to think you don't read well. You don't seem to get what I'm saying and you post links that don't say what you think they say.
B. Johns Hopkins is a multi-billion dollar research institution. I don't know what their lacrosse budget is, but it's pretty safe to say that it's relatively insignificant in comparison to $2 billion. Hopkins is an academic institution that happens to play lacrosse, not the other way around. There are hundreds of academic decisions made at Hopkins for every one lacrosse decision made. Anyone who doesn't already understand that is a nut job.

Right, they would have no problems and, in fact, had no problem. The landscape of men's college lacrosse has changed and Hopkins decided being independent was no longer the best option for them. They wanted a conference with an autobid and chose the Big Ten. (at least that's what every article, including one on a Hopkins site, I've found on the subject says). They may have chosen the Big Ten in part because of academics.
I am beginning to wonder if you don't know how to read because you sure seem to contradict yourself. On one hand you said that Johns Hopkins is a academic university that happens to play lacrosse. Then on the other hand you said Johns Hopkins's decision to join the Big Ten as a lacrosse-only member was purely about athletics (see your edit below).

(edit: I do appreciate your insight, I just find using academic reasons to join an athletic conference to be a fairly silly argument.)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
You really don't believe that was primarily an academic and research funding move? Really?
Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
I really don't.

Do you think the move is Hopkins wanting the CIC or the CIC wanting Hopkins?

If it was research/academic, why isn't Hopkins listed as a CIC member yet? (MD and Rutgers are)
It seems counterintuitive that an academic university would not consider the academic impact of joining an athletic conference. You are obviously missing the point that the Big Ten views itself no differently than how the Ivy League and Patriot League (both conferences are essentially academic conferences that happen to participate in athletics) view themselves. You may not agree with it or even like it, but that is how the Big Ten operates. If you want to change how the Big Ten operates, then I suggest you take it up with Delaney.