Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    The SEC did their deal with the Big-12, so let them start scheduling B-12 schools in the regular season.
    With 5 power conferences, there is a risk 1 conference could be left out of any agreements. The Big Ten and PAC-12 have their agreement, which I don't see ending any time soon. The Big XII and SEC now how their agreement, which could mean the SEC does not value its relationship with the ACC as much anymore. Unless someone wants to have 2 agreements, then it could mean the ACC gets left out in the cold.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    1,311
    For the record... I have no problem if VT wants to schedule SEC schools as well. But I do really like the current focus on the B1G for a few reasons:

    1) New opponents! We have only played 3 B1G opponents ever: Indiana, Michigan and Nebraska. And Nebraska was Big XII when we played them. We have now booked 4 new B1G opponents (OSU, Wisky, PSU, Purdue) and 1 more that we really need to play again (Michigan).

    2) B1G teams have big names... and usually good teams... but not usually "unbeatable". I think we will have trouble with OSU primarily because they are hot now and we are in a bit of a rut. But I think we can compete quite well with the other teams.

    3) They are good schools with good fan bases.

    4) It's not like we are cherry picking the bad teams in that conference. Ohio State. Wisconsin. Michigan. Penn State. Purdue is the outlier, not the norm. After those teams, and assuming we don't get back to Nebraska again... who else you you want to play? Sparty! And then... who?

  3. #13

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    4,779

    3 reasons - CFB always wanted OOC with northern teams due to climate, Big 10 is now

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    And it seems most of folks in the BigTen are responding positively to these overtures. If we aren't in the AAU anyhow, having the entire BigTen voting for us would make it a done deal.
    agreeable because Big teams want to recruit Va, esp 757 and Big wants more games in mid-atlantic to prop up addition of Md & Rutgers and Big CTV network in the area. I think that's all there is to it.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    December 22, 2002
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    we are not scheduling football opponents according to where we want to get students from

    why do we have a bunch of Big Ten schools on future schedules? I don't know, but I see nothing wrong with it. We have Tennessee on a future schedule too. We've played Alabama a couple times. We've played LSU a couple times. We've played aTm a couple times (yes, I realize they were not SEC then) Now we're taking the northern route...I think it's great.
    I'm just adding that something's up here. We played something like 3 BIG schools alltime, but all of the sudden we are playing 1-2 each and every season. You don't find that odd? You don't think there's some sort of reasoning behind it? Something with regard to our philosophy/strategy has changed. Clearly. It may be a recruiting decision, it may be a money decision, or I even feel it may be a decision from some of the admin types to show VT off to these VT schools. I recall the SEC folks mentioning one of the reasons VT was desired to come into that league with AandM was due to what LSU and Bama had witnessed by playing football games against us. They were not only impressed by the teams, but they were impressed by their interactions with VT officials, alumni, fans, etc... I'm just throwing stuff out there, but clearly SOMEBODY at VT has made it clear that games against the BIG are beneficial.

  5. #15
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I'm just adding that something's up here. We played something like 3 BIG schools alltime, but all of the sudden we are playing 1-2 each and every season. You don't find that odd? You don't think there's some sort of reasoning behind it? Something with regard to our philosophy/strategy has changed. Clearly. It may be a recruiting decision, it may be a money decision, or I even feel it may be a decision from some of the admin types to show VT off to these VT schools. I recall the SEC folks mentioning one of the reasons VT was desired to come into that league with AandM was due to what LSU and Bama had witnessed by playing football games against us. They were not only impressed by the teams, but they were impressed by their interactions with VT officials, alumni, fans, etc... I'm just throwing stuff out there, but clearly SOMEBODY at VT has made it clear that games against the BIG are beneficial.
    Yes, obviously something has changed in our scheduling philosophy...my guess is that it has everything to do with football.

    It doesn't have anything to do with recruiting non-athletes or with anything academic.

    And I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with trying to impress the Big Ten or create relationships in hopes of getting invited, but I suppose I'd say there is a shred of possibility.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 18, 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    Yes, obviously something has changed in our scheduling philosophy...my guess is that it has everything to do with football.

    It doesn't have anything to do with recruiting non-athletes or with anything academic.

    And I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with trying to impress the Big Ten or create relationships in hopes of getting invited, but I suppose I'd say there is a shred of possibility.
    Gonna have to disagree. On the academic side, Virginia Tech has one goal and one goal only--membership in the AAU. There are 62 AAU members and 13 of them are in the Big Ten conference. There are I think 5 in the ACC--UVA, Pitt, GT, Duke, UNC. I don't doubt at all that there is at least some pressure placed on the athletics department to strengthen ties to the Big Ten and AAU schools as much as is logistically possible. I have absolutely no doubt that the President hire was an overture to the AAU. Add in all the Big Ten conference games on the schedule and the circumstantial evidence is starting to add up.

    Virginia Tech will probably get an AAU invite within the next decade or so. I would not be AT ALL surprised if Virginia Tech entertains an offer from (or outright lobbies the Big Ten for) a Big Ten invite at the end of the ACC contract period. Getting into the AAU and the Big Ten in the next 15 years would pretty much be Virginia Tech reaching its academic apex after 50 years of pushing.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    7,479
    Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    I think it's all about the new playoff system and both sides finding "good bargains". Strength of schedule will factor into the playoffs, so I think we are seeing more OOC games among "Top 5" conference teams. The trick is to schedule teams that you think you can beat, but look good on paper.

    1) It seems VT has figured out the B1G has a great reputation... but their teams are much easier to beat than SEC teams (for example). Rather than bang our heads on SEC teams... let's see how we stack up against the B1G. Any wins over Michigan, Wisky, PSU and OSU will look great on a resume... even if they are not that good in a particular year.

    2) B1G teams maybe see the same in us. We still have a good name... we may not be that tough to beat in the future... especially in the post-Beamer years.

    Either way, I love the matchups. GO HOKIES!
    We've got to learn to beat Duke, MD and BC before we worry about B1G teams.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    September 22, 2002
    Posts
    3,384
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    Gonna have to disagree. On the academic side, Virginia Tech has one goal and one goal only--membership in the AAU. There are 62 AAU members and 13 of them are in the Big Ten conference. There are I think 5 in the ACC--UVA, Pitt, GT, Duke, UNC. I don't doubt at all that there is at least some pressure placed on the athletics department to strengthen ties to the Big Ten and AAU schools as much as is logistically possible. I have absolutely no doubt that the President hire was an overture to the AAU. Add in all the Big Ten conference games on the schedule and the circumstantial evidence is starting to add up.

    Virginia Tech will probably get an AAU invite within the next decade or so. I would not be AT ALL surprised if Virginia Tech entertains an offer from (or outright lobbies the Big Ten for) a Big Ten invite at the end of the ACC contract period. Getting into the AAU and the Big Ten in the next 15 years would pretty much be Virginia Tech reaching its academic apex after 50 years of pushing.
    I don't think being in the Big 10 is necessary to reaching "academic apex". VT can get an AAU membership and stay in the ACC with the other 5 ACC AAU members and I think that could be the ultimate goal (I'd put Duke, UNC, UVA equal to or better than any top Big10 schools - Michigan and Northwestern - academically.) That said I agree that scheduling Big10 schools can help in this pursuit.

  9. #19
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    I don't doubt at all that there is at least some pressure placed on the athletics department to strengthen ties to the Big Ten and AAU schools as much as is logistically possible.
    I do. Athletics isn't going to do jack to get us into the AAU.

    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    I have absolutely no doubt that the President hire was an overture to the AAU.
    I wouldn't doubt that him being the highest ranking academician at an AAU school was a big feather in his cap.

    Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    Virginia Tech will probably get an AAU invite within the next decade or so. I would not be AT ALL surprised if Virginia Tech entertains an offer from (or outright lobbies the Big Ten for) a Big Ten invite at the end of the ACC contract period. Getting into the AAU and the Big Ten in the next 15 years would pretty much be Virginia Tech reaching its academic apex after 50 years of pushing.
    Getting into the AAU would be a great accomplishment.

    Getting into the Big Ten wouldn't mean much academically.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    February 21, 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    I'm just adding that something's up here. We played something like 3 BIG schools alltime, but all of the sudden we are playing 1-2 each and every season. You don't find that odd? You don't think there's some sort of reasoning behind it? Something with regard to our philosophy/strategy has changed. Clearly. It may be a recruiting decision, it may be a money decision, or I even feel it may be a decision from some of the admin types to show VT off to these VT schools. I recall the SEC folks mentioning one of the reasons VT was desired to come into that league with AandM was due to what LSU and Bama had witnessed by playing football games against us. They were not only impressed by the teams, but they were impressed by their interactions with VT officials, alumni, fans, etc... I'm just throwing stuff out there, but clearly SOMEBODY at VT has made it clear that games against the BIG are beneficial.
    Win-win situation. Both schools improve strength of schedule. VT gets B1G sized TV audience & B1G gets to measure viewers response in their newfound TV market.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •