Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Guys, I think these future fball schedules tell us something about VT's future plans.

And it seems most of folks in the BigTen are responding positively to these overtures. If we aren't in the AAU anyhow, having the entire BigTen voting for us would make it a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    And it seems most of folks in the BigTen are responding positively to these overtures. If we aren't in the AAU anyhow, having the entire BigTen voting for us would make it a done deal.
    More about the big boys going to a football playoff and strength of schedule.........
    "Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run......."
    Bruce Springsteen

I think it's all about the new playoff system and both sides finding "good bargains". Strength of schedule will factor into the playoffs, so I think we are seeing more OOC games among "Top 5" conference teams. The trick is to schedule teams that you think you can beat, but look good on paper.

1) It seems VT has figured out the B1G has a great reputation... but their teams are much easier to beat than SEC teams (for example). Rather than bang our heads on SEC teams... let's see how we stack up against the B1G. Any wins over Michigan, Wisky, PSU and OSU will look great on a resume... even if they are not that good in a particular year.

2) B1G teams maybe see the same in us. We still have a good name... we may not be that tough to beat in the future... especially in the post-Beamer years.

Either way, I love the matchups. GO HOKIES!

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    I think it's all about the new playoff system and both sides finding "good bargains". Strength of schedule will factor into the playoffs, so I think we are seeing more OOC games among "Top 5" conference teams. The trick is to schedule teams that you think you can beat, but look good on paper.

1) It seems VT has figured out the B1G has a great reputation... but their teams are much easier to beat than SEC teams (for example). Rather than bang our heads on SEC teams... let's see how we stack up against the B1G. Any wins over Michigan, Wisky, PSU and OSU will look great on a resume... even if they are not that good in a particular year.

2) B1G teams maybe see the same in us. We still have a good name... we may not be that tough to beat in the future... especially in the post-Beamer years.

So you don't think the CIC has any influence on who VT schedules in future games? I am not suggesting that VT is actively looking to leave the ACC. However, I think UVA has given the impression that it would join the Big Ten (if an offer was extended). I do not believe Richmond has publicly stated that UVA-VT and a package deal, but I believe that is the mentality the current administration is working under. So, if there is a possibility that UVA leaves when the GOR expires, then VT may need to be ready to go too. Given that VT is currently not an AAU member and no certainty that VT will ever become one, then it is possible that VT is using athletic competitions to try to help sell the school to the Big Ten. If the Big Ten sees VT in a favorable light, then they may be willing to waive the AAU requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    So you don't think the CIC has any influence on who VT schedules in future games? I am not suggesting that VT is actively looking to leave the ACC. However, I think UVA has given the impression that it would join the Big Ten (if an offer was extended). I do not believe Richmond has publicly stated that UVA-VT and a package deal, but I believe that is the mentality the current administration is working under. So, if there is a possibility that UVA leaves when the GOR expires, then VT may need to be ready to go too. Given that VT is currently not an AAU member and no certainty that VT will ever become one, then it is possible that VT is using athletic competitions to try to help sell the school to the Big Ten. If the Big Ten sees VT in a favorable light, then they may be willing to waive the AAU requirement.
    I guess my thinking is that if VT did join the BigTen, they would be AAU fairly quickly. That's a HUGE block of AAU schools we would have in our corner. CIC inclusion would also help get us over the hump.

So you don't think the CIC has any influence on who VT schedules in future games?
    I would go with "no influence."

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    I would go with "no influence."
    I can't say I have arrived at a definitive opinion one way or the other. If one reason VT wants to schedule OOC games with Big Ten schools to attract more northern students, then does that mean it has given up targeting students from the southern states? If VT doesn't think it can compete against the top SEC schools, then how does playing Big Ten schools really solve the problem when chances are good VT will have to defeat at least 1 SEC in the Playoffs? Does that mean VT is going to view making the Playoffs the same way it used to view the bowl games? We are excited to be here and we will feel the same way going home with or without the trophy. If it is because all the top SEC schools don't want to do home-home series with VT, then what about the rest of the schools? I can't imagine VT couldn't get a home-home series with Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, or Miss State. If nothing else play a neutral site game in another city besides Atlanta (i.e. Nashville, Charlotte, Birmingham, New Orleans, Houston, etc).

I can't say I have arrived at a definitive opinion one way or the other. If one reason VT wants to schedule OOC games with Big Ten schools to attract more northern students, then does that mean it has given up targeting students from the southern states? If VT doesn't think it can compete against the top SEC schools, then how does playing Big Ten schools really solve the problem when chances are good VT will have to defeat at least 1 SEC in the Playoffs? Does that mean VT is going to view making the Playoffs the same way it used to view the bowl games? We are excited to be here and we will feel the same way going home with or without the trophy. If it is because all the top SEC schools don't want to do home-home series with VT, then what about the rest of the schools? I can't imagine VT couldn't get a home-home series with Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss, or Miss State. If nothing else play a neutral site game in another city besides Atlanta (i.e. Nashville, Charlotte, Birmingham, New Orleans, Houston, etc).
    we are not scheduling football opponents according to where we want to get students from

why do we have a bunch of Big Ten schools on future schedules? I don't know, but I see nothing wrong with it. We have Tennessee on a future schedule too. We've played Alabama a couple times. We've played LSU a couple times. We've played aTm a couple times (yes, I realize they were not SEC then) Now we're taking the northern route...I think it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post

That's pretty much how I see the future OOC scheduling for Tech. It will be 2026-27 when Tech can entertain the Big 10. The ACC and Big 10 will probably be scheduling each other a lot over the next 10-15 years and likely avoiding the top tier SEC schools unless they are annual rivalries.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    That's pretty much how I see the future OOC scheduling for Tech. It will be 2026-27 when Tech can entertain the Big 10. The ACC and Big 10 will probably be scheduling each other a lot over the next 10-15 years and likely avoiding the top tier SEC schools unless they are annual rivalries.
    The SEC did their deal with the Big-12, so let them start scheduling B-12 schools in the regular season.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne