Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Tango View Post
    I say WVU for football marketability purposes. It re-establishes anticipated games like the Backyard Brawl, Black Diamond Trophy, WVU-Louisville, and gives interest to WVU vs. UVa, FSU, UNC. It taps into the Penn, DC, Ohio markets and gives the best geographic fit.
    That said, I still think the choices are like picking the prettiest girl at an ugly woman contest.
    That's what I thought when I made the list, but that list is probably as realistic a list of options the ACC has right now. The sad thing is, if Notre Dame never joins for football and PSU and some of the Big 12 schools (Texas, Oklahoma, ...) stay put, the ACC wouldn't have too many options to go to 16 members with 4 pods of 4 teams. That's why many on this board have dreams of Notre Dame full membership, Texas and Oklahoma to the ACC, and Penn State leaving the B1G. The "realistic" choices aren't very sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    That's what I thought when I made the list, but that list is probably as realistic a list of options the ACC has right now. The sad thing is, if Notre Dame never joins for football and PSU and some of the Big 12 schools (Texas, Oklahoma, ...) stay put, the ACC wouldn't have too many options to go to 16 members with 4 pods of 4 teams. That's why many on this board have dreams of Notre Dame full membership, Texas and Oklahoma to the ACC, and Penn State leaving the B1G. The "realistic" choices aren't very sexy.
    If we make it thru the D-4 meetings and all separation talk coming up then we will not be joining in full. The only other thing that can "force" us is if NBC didn't renew, but that just happened (2026). With 5 games with the ACC and 3 locks on our schedule every year it won't be hard to fill the rest up.

Cinn

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Cincy as a Midwest bridge for us and for access to a lucrative untapped market for the ACC. Recruiting and a stick in the side of the Big 10 would also be a beneficial .
    agree with Cincy as my "hold my nose" number 1. not a school i would be "proud" to have, but i think they have the most upside and potentially bring the most to the league if they should achieve that upside potential. UConn would by my safety school...

that said, i'd rather petition the NCAA to allow us to go to a single table 15 team lineup (9 game schedule) with no divisions if ND really wanted to come on board (which i'm still not holding my breath on)...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Navy would bridge the gap that Maryland's departure will create this summer. Navy also keeps the ACC in Maryland (specifically Baltimore metro area). I agree that it would be difficult to get Navy in based on their Army rivalry. Isn't the American (AAC) going to 2 divisions with a playoff? Will that do the same to the Army-Navy game scheduling that ACC membership would've done?
    Navy is joining the AAC as a football-only member and remaining in the Patriot League for all other sports. Would the ACC go for that same arrangement? Most likely, the Army-Navy game will move back to Thanksgiving Weekend. I don't think Navy will be allowed to participate in the AAC CCG and then the following week play its final regular season game (against Army). Also, Army would be viewed as an OOC opponent (no different than Air Force) since it will remain an Independent, so it won't have any impact on the conference standings. I don't think Army has any desire to join the AAC or the level of interest the AAC has in having a second football-only member (Army will probably never want to leave the Patriot League). If Army does ever join the AAC as a football-only member, then the AAC will most likely place them in the same division which will have no impact on the series.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ was Broke View Post
    I would pick WVU. After Louisville joined, the ACC dropped all pretense of being about academics. For Virginia Tech, we are 5-10 years away from AAU membership--associations with Louisville and WVU are irrelevant to our academics. The fact that UCONN is a land grant university is of no importance whatsoever. The only thing that's important in the new Power 5 conference make-up is quality athletics, particularly basketball and football. The conferences are basically in a money arms race right now and the ACC needs the quality match-ups and the money.

WVU would be, by far, the best athletic grab for the ACC--they are generally pretty good in football and basketball and they have a passionate fan base. Travel is easy for VT athletics. Would be an ideal addition to the conference and would make VT even more centrally located than it already is. Old bad blood shouldn't--and wouldn't--preclude VT and the ACC from doing what's in the best interests of everyone involved, and UCONN and Cinci are clearly inferior additions.

A really nice alternative would be to bring in Navy for football only and to add Georgetown in all other sports except football. I would almost prefer this to the WVU addition. Georgetown may not be interested with the new Big East basketball conference, but I think, overall, the ACC would be a superior choice for Georgetown--more money, better athletics overall. It would also be great for Virginia Tech since it would be another easy travel partner in Navy and Georgetown and would help to keep the ACC covered by Washington news outlets. It would also be a nice addition of 2 universities that are elite and nationally renowned.
    Given that Georgetown is a Catholic school, I don't see them eager to leave the Big East. Plus, if Georgetown did join the ACC, then it would be back in the same boat the school was in the Old Big East. I mean non-football members trying to voice their opinion on the direction of the conference which was often faced with opposition from the football schools. Would the school want to subject itself to that kind of strain? Also, something to consider is Georgetown plays FCS non-scholarship football in the Patriot League. I can see Georgetown being hestitate about joining the ACC because the ACC could place pressure on the school in the future to upgrade its football program and join the ACC as a full member.

If the ACC wants a non-football school in the DC market, then it might have to look at The George Washington University.

Interesting list. I agree that it is a realistic picture of the available options. All the talk about Army/Navy tells me that many are still not considering the problem of sharing TV revenue with a school that can't earn its own share.
    WV can do it. Maybe Cincy or UConn could as well. The others would be revenue losers. Looking ahead, UCF & USF are huge schools that will have giant alumni bases a generation from now. Right now... not so much. If Miami continues to slide in competitiveness, there may be room for another Florida school. The U is very small and relies on their FB cred to attract TV viewers from outside their market. If WV is available, that means that the BIG XII has dissolved, so the best candidates are out west.
    As for The B1G wanting Iowa State, I can't imagine why. They don't want UConn either. The entire state is within the YES Network footprint, which the B1G views as their BTN footprint. Best bet: Stand pat and wait for the BIG XII to flop.

1. WVU
    2. Ohio

Notre Dame joined the ACC as a full member, the Big 12 stayed together, and Penn State remained in the Big 10?

Here are your 11 choices. I picked the 11 schools that are close to or within the ACC geographic footprint. Based on the information provided, which school would you choose and why?

My final 3 would be UConn, Cincinnati, and Navy, BUT I would like you to persuade me which of those 3 (or any other listed one that didn't make my final 3) you would accept as the ACC's 16th member.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Baboon View Post
    1. WVU
    2. Ohio
    After 24 hours, it looks like WVU, Cincinnati, and UConn are the top 3 choices with WVU with a slight lead.

Quote Originally Posted by 33laszlo99 View Post
    Interesting list. I agree that it is a realistic picture of the available options. All the talk about Army/Navy tells me that many are still not considering the problem of sharing TV revenue with a school that can't earn its own share.
    WV can do it. Maybe Cincy or UConn could as well. The others would be revenue losers. Looking ahead, UCF & USF are huge schools that will have giant alumni bases a generation from now. Right now... not so much. If Miami continues to slide in competitiveness, there may be room for another Florida school. The U is very small and relies on their FB cred to attract TV viewers from outside their market. If WV is available, that means that the BIG XII has dissolved, so the best candidates are out west.
    As for The B1G wanting Iowa State, I can't imagine why. They don't want UConn either. The entire state is within the YES Network footprint, which the B1G views as their BTN footprint. Best bet: Stand pat and wait for the BIG XII to flop.
    True observation about WVU (being a Big 12 member) , but I have always felt that the Big 12 wouldn't mind seeing WVU depart if the ACC had a "change of heart." I wouldn't say the WVU-to-the-Big 12 experiment is a bust, but it hasn't been a success, especially with all the talk (last spring) from some of the Big 12 school AD's about "blowing it" with not taking Louisville.