Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    You probably can eliminate Navy from the list. Navy will not join a conference as a full member unless Army is included too. If the ACC is looking for a 16th member, then does it want to be a full or partial member? If full then that would not include Navy (unless Army the 17th member). If it is a partial member, then Navy could be the 16th member. Factoring the importance the ACC places on basketball, Memphis could be a dark horse candidate.
    Navy would bridge the gap that Maryland's departure will create this summer. Navy also keeps the ACC in Maryland (specifically Baltimore metro area). I agree that it would be difficult to get Navy in based on their Army rivalry. Isn't the American (AAC) going to 2 divisions with a playoff? Will that do the same to the Army-Navy game scheduling that ACC membership would've done?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I thought about Marshall but WVU was already on my list. The only reason I put Ohio on the list was it was ranked higher than Marshall academically and was located in a much more populated state (Ohio).
    Then I don't understand the logic behind the list. Marshall left off because WVU is on but you have 2 from Florida and the ACC has 2 members in Florida already. ECU is lower than WVU academics but Marshall is not on the list because Ohio is higher on academics. Marshall is in the footprint, UAB would be expanding the footprint. Ohio is on because of population but Cincy is also on so that population is already covered.

But all that's OK. If I had the chance, I would take Marshall for no other reason than it would drive the 'Eer fans crazy (not that they need any help).

Banned
    Notre Dame joined the ACC as a full member, the Big 12 stayed together, and Penn State remained in the Big 10?

Here are your 11 choices. I picked the 11 schools that are close to or within the ACC geographic footprint. Based on the information provided, which school would you choose and why?

My final 3 would be UConn, Cincinnati, and Navy, BUT I would like you to persuade me which of those 3 (or any other listed one that didn't make my final 3) you would accept as the ACC's 16th member.

I would pick WVU. After Louisville joined, the ACC dropped all pretense of being about academics. For Virginia Tech, we are 5-10 years away from AAU membership--associations with Louisville and WVU are irrelevant to our academics. The fact that UCONN is a land grant university is of no importance whatsoever. The only thing that's important in the new Power 5 conference make-up is quality athletics, particularly basketball and football. The conferences are basically in a money arms race right now and the ACC needs the quality match-ups and the money.

WVU would be, by far, the best athletic grab for the ACC--they are generally pretty good in football and basketball and they have a passionate fan base. Travel is easy for VT athletics. Would be an ideal addition to the conference and would make VT even more centrally located than it already is. Old bad blood shouldn't--and wouldn't--preclude VT and the ACC from doing what's in the best interests of everyone involved, and UCONN and Cinci are clearly inferior additions.

A really nice alternative would be to bring in Navy for football only and to add Georgetown in all other sports except football. I would almost prefer this to the WVU addition. Georgetown may not be interested with the new Big East basketball conference, but I think, overall, the ACC would be a superior choice for Georgetown--more money, better athletics overall. It would also be great for Virginia Tech since it would be another easy travel partner in Navy and Georgetown and would help to keep the ACC covered by Washington news outlets. It would also be a nice addition of 2 universities that are elite and nationally renowned.
    Last edited by TJ was Broke; Wed Dec 18 2013 at 11:00 PM.

It just has to be UCONN. They would solidify our presence in NYC and their BBall is awesome. They are good in other sports too. They just are an ACC school. I think they can grow their football program with some good games to sell to fans/alumni too. ND coming there every other year and/or FSU, Clemson, Miami,VT would sell some tickets as well. Anyhow, we missed out by not grabbing the state university of New Jersey when we had the chance, I think we don't leave UCONN on the table now.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4vt View Post
    It just has to be UCONN. They would solidify our presence in NYC and their BBall is awesome. They are good in other sports too. They just are an ACC school. I think they can grow their football program with some good games to sell to fans/alumni too. ND coming there every other year and/or FSU, Clemson, Miami,VT would sell some tickets as well. Anyhow, we missed out by not grabbing the state university of New Jersey when we had the chance, I think we don't leave UCONN on the table now.
    That's what I thought about UConn a year ago before the ACC added Louisville and threw away all their talk about quality academics out Swofford's office window. One thing that would make me pick UConn is that they're the top dog in their state when it comes to college sports. WVU is too but UConn has a better academic reputation that fits the ACC, but then again, the ACC selected Louisville over them. Cincinnati plays second fiddle to Ohio State, but so does GT to UGA, PItt to PSU, and even FSU and Miami to Florida to some degree. Even U of L is the #2 school in their own commonwealth behind UK. At least UConn would be "the team" in their state and solidify New England as ACC Country.

I pretty much agree. I was a big UConn supporter before Louisville was accepted. After seeing Cincinnati play football on TV and reading about their upcoming stadium expansion/upgrades, I have them tied with UConn. UConn is better academically while Cincinnati is a top 50 research university. I think their basketball programs would get them in over Cincy since the ACC is basketball-centric.
    And I think the ACC would be smart to continue to amass basketball power. I suspect the future of youth sports, and therefore college sports, doesn't lie with football. Maybe we're talking 50 years down the road or something like that, but I don't think football is going to be king forever (at least not w/o a substantial amount of what many football fans would call "wussification").

But of course Cincinnati is no slouch at basketball, so again that's really not an obvious way to discern between the two schools. Cincy certainly seems to want it more than UConn (who I'm sure would love nothing more than to use ACC interest as leverage for a Big Ten invite).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    And I think the ACC would be smart to continue to amass basketball power. I suspect the future of youth sports, and therefore college sports, doesn't lie with football. Maybe we're talking 50 years down the road or something like that, but I don't think football is going to be king forever (at least not w/o a substantial amount of what many football fans would call "wussification").

But of course Cincinnati is no slouch at basketball, so again that's really not an obvious way to discern between the two schools. Cincy certainly seems to want it more than UConn (who I'm sure would love nothing more than to use ACC interest as leverage for a Big Ten invite).
    When football goes away is when the rest of the sports go away since football pays the bills. No football; no expensive athletic departments. I don't think you make strategic athletic plans assuming football is going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post

I don't sense that UCONN doesn't "want it" at all. They have a pretty good fanbase. They even sell a ton of tickets to women's bball. I'm pretty sure they turn out for men's bball too. Anyhow, they could end up doing quite well in football once decent teams play there. They got screwed when they finally built a football stadium only to have their biggest draws leave their conference. It would have helped them a ton to have had Miami, VT, and nearby BC on their football schedules. They would be helped tremendously to have ND on their schedule regularly too.

I'd say it's UConn by a landslide.

After that, I dunno...I wouldn't want WVU, but I can understand why some would.

Cincy, UCF, USF, and Temple would be tied for 2nd for me I guess

I say WVU for football marketability purposes. It re-establishes anticipated games like the Backyard Brawl, Black Diamond Trophy, WVU-Louisville, and gives interest to WVU vs. UVa, FSU, UNC. It taps into the Penn, DC, Ohio markets and gives the best geographic fit.
    That said, I still think the choices are like picking the prettiest girl at an ugly woman contest.