Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Following that line of thinking assuming Texas and Friends come to the ACC, I tried to sort 80 schools into 4 Conferences and came up with this:

The ACC:

North: Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Miami
    Mid-Atlantic: Virginia Tech, Navy, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke
    South: Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest
    West: Texas, Louisville, Tulane, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech

The SEC:

North: Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, South Carolina
    South: Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi
    Gulf: Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Louisiana State, Louisiana Tech, Memphis
    West: Southern Methodist, Baylor, Texas Christian, Missouri, Arkansas

The Big Ten:

East: Maryland, Rutgers, Connecticut, Penn State, Army
    Central: Ohio State, Ohio, Cincinnati, Indiana, Purdue
    North: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern
    West: Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Air Force

The PAC 20:

North: Washington, Washington State, Boise State, Oregon, Oregon State
    Mountain: Utah, Utah State, Colorado, Colorado State, Wyoming
    South: UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, San Diego State
    West: Stanford, California, Hawaii, Nevada-Reno, Nevada-Las Vegas

The Big Ten was the hardest to fill if they can't take from the ACC, which I don't think they will. Ohio State will have to get off its high horse and allow some other Ohio teams into the Big Ten, and they will need to take Iowa State. I also have them taking 2 service academies.

I also had to leave some schools out that might be deserving like New Mexico, New Mexico State, East Carolina, Temple, Brigham Young, South Florida, Central Florida, Southern Mississippi, Rice, and Houston.

It was and interesting puzzle otherwise. The ACC is the most geographically disconnected, but it captures what are the best markets IMO.
    i'd call it the BIG 2.0...or possibly even just the B2.0, or...dare i say, the BigTwo-Oh

Also, ACC brand would now stand for Atlantic & Central Conference...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

What entity could coordinate the schools and conferences to make this happen?
    You would need the genetically engineered offspring of Pete Rozelle, Lyndon Johnson and Emperor Palpatine to manage the negotiations with an iron fist.

Quote Originally Posted by HOO86 View Post
    Following that line of thinking assuming Texas and Friends come to the ACC, I tried to sort 80 schools into 4 Conferences and came up with this:

The ACC:

North: Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Miami
    Mid-Atlantic: Virginia Tech, Navy, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke
    South: Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State, Wake Forest
    West: Texas, Louisville, Tulane, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech

The SEC:

North: Kentucky, West Virginia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, South Carolina
    South: Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi
    Gulf: Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Louisiana State, Louisiana Tech, Memphis
    West: Southern Methodist, Baylor, Texas Christian, Missouri, Arkansas

The Big Ten:

Central: Ohio State, Ohio, Cincinnati, Indiana, Purdue

The PAC 20:

North: Washington, Washington State, Boise State, Oregon, Oregon State
    Mountain: Utah, Utah State, Colorado, Colorado State, Wyoming
    South: UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, San Diego State
    West: Stanford, California, Hawaii, Nevada-Reno, Nevada-Las Vegas

The Big Ten was the hardest to fill if they can't take from the ACC, which I don't think they will. Ohio State will have to get off its high horse and allow some other Ohio teams into the Big Ten, and they will need to take Iowa State. I also have them taking 2 service academies.

I also had to leave some schools out that might be deserving like New Mexico, New Mexico State, East Carolina, Temple, Brigham Young, South Florida, Central Florida, Southern Mississippi, Rice, and Houston.

It was and interesting puzzle otherwise. The ACC is the most geographically disconnected, but it captures what are the best markets IMO.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i'd call it the BIG 2.0...or possibly even just the B2.0, or...dare i say, the BigTwo-Oh

Also, ACC brand would now stand for Atlantic & Central Conference...
    Did I miss something or did you kick Michigan and Sparty out of the B1G?

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    Holy schnikies... It looks like they didn't even make the cut! The service academies just don't fit in the Big 80. Drop them out, out Michigan and Sparty back in, and pick another one of those deserving schools to fill in the gap.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    I see 4 divisions of 5 teams in each conference....not two divisions of 10. This allows ND and Texas to schedule plenty of OOD and OOC games against whomever they want to schedule. ND is playing 5 ACC games and I doubt that will change a lot in the future.

Those divisions will be based mainly around geography with ND wanting to be in a Northeast division where most of their students come from and their alumni live. Texas will bring Oklahoma and I see FSU in their division and possibly a Tulane too...so the distance won't be that much different than A&M.

I see the non-revenue sports schedule mainly base around their division so that they don't have to do crazy travel. The conference championship tournaments will bring the divisions together and will be a pretty big happening.

I also see the rest of the Big 12 teams landing in a Power 4 with some to the SEC, some to B1G and some to PAC. It's not really hard to pick who goes where...most of it will be around being the right cultural fit IMHO. Different schools have different strengths and match up with a conference that emphasizes those strengths.
    Conference realignment forecasting is great fun, but let's try to include a dose of reality.
    Army, Navy, Tulane, etc. will NEVER be members of a major conference. Of the 5 current big boys, each would be financially diminished by adding any of them. The ACC will get to twenty teams (if that is somehow a goal) only by adding plums from the BIG XII.
    There is no reason for conferences to conform in size. Growth will be based on adding value (football cred, academic cred, and TV money). The BIG XII stays at 10 members because that is their optimum configuration right now. Adding Tulane or SMU is a step backwards. The BIG stayed at 11 teams for twenty one years. The scheduling was not difficult or confusing.
    If the premier teams from the BIG XII join the ACC, there is no reason to believe that the leftovers will be swept up by the SEC or the BIG. Those two conferences will stay at 14 as long as necessary. They will add only teams that enhance their organization. Iowa State to the BIG? Ridiculous.
    I believe that the "rich" schools will separate from the NCAA despite their rhetoric to the contrary. Fewer than eighty schools will make the cut. That table of schools' athletic budgets doesn't include the amounts earned by the AD vs. the amounts provided by school subsidies. Big budget does not mean financially healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by gman86 View Post
    That's why it seemed so hard to come up with enough teams in the Big. I missed a couple. Ohio State won't have to add Ohio Teams afterall.

The Big Ten:

Central: Ohio State, Michigan, Mighigan State, Indiana, Purdue

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Holy schnikies... It looks like they didn't even make the cut! The service academies just don't fit in the Big 80. Drop them out, out Michigan and Sparty back in, and pick another one of those deserving schools to fill in the gap.
    I was including the academies based on STECH thinking they will be included. They could be replaced by 3 on that list of other deserving schools.

I understand your doubt about the service academies. I have my days of doubt on them too. However, I will just say that over ten years ago I heard everything that has happened over the last ten years in College Football and everyone I know doubted me when I said it and posted it. He has been right 100% of the time. He has not missed one thing. You can check my post or ask other posters if you want to take the time.

However, the communication concerning the service academies went something like this:

I get the new tier of football that will ultimately lead to a playoff and mega conferences and you will have to be in one to get there. However, I don't get the Service Academies being a part of it since they are more like an D1AA school (FCS term did not exist). He said that the academies have been a part of the top tier of football since college football has existed. They use it and especially the Army Navy game to recruit officers. It's a huge draw for them. There is no way they will be left out of this and no one at the top wants them left out of this for that very reason. He then went on to tell me that they will start spending more money on football to be ready for this change. Again, check it out for yourself, compare their football budgets to what they used to be 10 years ago...especially what they are paying their head coaches 10 years ago and now.

BTW, you have a big club of non-believers that you have joined who don't believe what I have been saying for over 10 years about College Football.

Welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    I understand your doubt about the service academies. I have my days of doubt on them too. However, I will just say that over ten years ago I heard everything that has happened over the last ten years in College Football and everyone I know doubted me when I said it and posted it. He has been right 100% of the time. He has not missed one thing. You can check my post or ask other posters if you want to take the time.

However, the communication concerning the service academies went something like this:

I get the new tier of football that will ultimately lead to a playoff and mega conferences and you will have to be in one to get there. However, I don't get the Service Academies being a part of it since they are more like an D1AA school (FCS term did not exist). He said that the academies have been a part of the top tier of football since college football has existed. They use it and especially the Army Navy game to recruit officers. It's a huge draw for them. There is no way they will be left out of this and no one at the top wants them left out of this for that very reason. He then went on to tell me that they will start spending more money on football to be ready for this change. Again, check it out for yourself, compare their football budgets to what they used to be 10 years ago...especially what they are paying their head coaches 10 years ago and now.

BTW, you have a big club of non-believers that you have joined who don't believe what I have been saying for over 10 years about College Football.

Welcome to the club!
    I didn't say I don't believe. I actually pay close attention to your posts. I was just saying as long as schools had to be dropped to make room for Michigan and Sparty, the Service Academies make sense as the first to go.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

I didn't say I don't believe. I actually pay close attention to your posts. I was just saying as long as schools had to be dropped to make room for Michigan and Sparty, the Service Academies make sense as the first to go.
    Gottcha...makes sense. There is no doubt that Michigan and Michigan State will be in this...Hoo86 says he accidentally left them out.