Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Who would you pick as #16 IF......

Notre Dame joined the ACC as a full member, the Big 12 stayed together, and Penn State remained in the Big 10?

Here are your 11 choices. I picked the 11 schools that are close to or within the ACC geographic footprint. Based on the information provided, which school would you choose and why?

My final 3 would be UConn, Cincinnati, and Navy, BUT I would like you to persuade me which of those 3 (or any other listed one that didn't make my final 3) you would accept as the ACC's 16th member.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Notre Dame joined the ACC as a full member, the Big 12 stayed together, and Penn State remained in the Big 10?

Here are your 11 choices. I picked the 11 schools that are close to or within the ACC geographic footprint. Based on the information provided, which school would you choose and why?

My final 3 would be UConn, Cincinnati, and Navy, BUT I would like you to persuade me which of those 3 (or any other listed one that didn't make my final 3) you would accept as the ACC's 16th member.

Cincy as a Midwest bridge for us and for access to a lucrative untapped market for the ACC. Recruiting and a stick in the side of the Big 10 would also be a beneficial .

You probably can eliminate Navy from the list. Navy will not join a conference as a full member unless Army is included too. If the ACC is looking for a 16th member, then does it want to be a full or partial member? If full then that would not include Navy (unless Army the 17th member). If it is a partial member, then Navy could be the 16th member. Factoring the importance the ACC places on basketball, Memphis could be a dark horse candidate.

Yukon... It is a true peer to most ACC schools in terms of enrollment, academic performance, and dedication to athletics and it is a land grant university. It is a natural rival for Syracuse and Boston College in all sports and they would quickly be a hoops rival for Duke, Carolina, and Pitt. Finally, adding Yukon would all but stop any further eastern encroachment on the part of the Big Ten.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Why did you not include Marshall? ACC footprint would look interesting taking Cincy because that would leave a hole in the ACC map. That hole is named West Virginia and Maryland. (Yes, I kind of used the word "hole" on purpose - TIC)

WVU

Knowledge is good.

-Emil Faber
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

I think there are upsides to both UConn and Cincy. Gun to head I would go with UConn. Better academics, slightly better for 4x4 pod purposes, ESPN swag. But Cincy would be fine as an alternative. Honestly, I think if the Big Ten got any sense that the ACC was about to add ND as a full member (and, thus, be about to also pursue #16), they might look to invite UConn first (along with Iowa St?) as a preemptive measure.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Why did you not include Marshall? ACC footprint would look interesting taking Cincy because that would leave a hole in the ACC map. That hole is named West Virginia and Maryland. (Yes, I kind of used the word "hole" on purpose - TIC)
    I thought about Marshall but WVU was already on my list. The only reason I put Ohio on the list was it was ranked higher than Marshall academically and was located in a much more populated state (Ohio).

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    I think there are upsides to both UConn and Cincy. Gun to head I would go with UConn. Better academics, slightly better for 4x4 pod purposes, ESPN swag. But Cincy would be fine as an alternative. Honestly, I think if the Big Ten got any sense that the ACC was about to add ND as a full member (and, thus, be about to also pursue #16), they might look to invite UConn first (along with Iowa St?) as a preemptive measure.
    I pretty much agree. I was a big UConn supporter before Louisville was accepted. After seeing Cincinnati play football on TV and reading about their upcoming stadium expansion/upgrades, I have them tied with UConn. UConn is better academically while Cincinnati is a top 50 research university. I think their basketball programs would get them in over Cincy since the ACC is basketball-centric.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Yukon... It is a true peer to most ACC schools in terms of enrollment, academic performance, and dedication to athletics and it is a land grant university. It is a natural rival for Syracuse and Boston College in all sports and they would quickly be a hoops rival for Duke, Carolina, and Pitt. Finally, adding Yukon would all but stop any further eastern encroachment on the part of the Big Ten.
    That's how I felt before Louisville was accepted into the ACC. I think Cincinnati has been more aggressive toward ACC membership than UConn the past 13 months. UConn would probably fit the ACC profile more than the other 10 listed schools. BC, however, doesn't want UConn in the ACC. I think the Big 10 could possibly take UConn before the ACC.