Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Leaving hoops team, will stay at VT
    http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketba...131227aaa.html
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    Your posts ... are money. I read them all.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutHokie04 View Post
    glad he's sticking it out to get his degree but it's unfortunate he didn't have the...insert whatever word you want here...to provide needed depth at PG. oh well. it's always something. wondering if we'll hear something about raines in the near future as well.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Lurker
    Looks like he didn't buy into the system and/or doesn't agree with JJ's use of Wilson over him. Oh well, can't be too mad- he'll still be a Hokie.

Quote Originally Posted by hOkies3737 View Post
    Looks like he didn't buy into the system and/or doesn't agree with JJ's use of Wilson over him. Oh well, can't be too mad- he'll still be a Hokie.
    If that was the case, wouldn't he be looking to transfer? I read this more as if he doesn't want to play anymore, but I might be way off.

Quote Originally Posted by hOkies3737 View Post
    I am not sure it is that simple. There could additional factors involved that made it a more complicated decision.

Quote Originally Posted by s.mill hokie View Post
    If that was the case, wouldn't he be looking to transfer? I read this more as if he doesn't want to play anymore, but I might be way off.
    It is possible that when he got in touch with potential new schools that they either wouldn't provide an athletic scholarship or accept all the credits he earned while at VT (a common practice). If he wants to leave college with a degree, then that could have meant paying for the additional time out of pocket which may not be feasible. Another possibility is reality set in that a professional basketball career is not in his future. So transferring to another school for 2 years may not be worth it especially if the scholarship runs out after his eligibility runs out. I remember my academic advisor telling me that students are strongly discourage from doing 2 things during their junior year: 1) change majors and 2) transfer to another school.

I do agree with you that he probably didn't have the heart/passion/drive to either play the sport anymore or provide the level of dedication that was required from him. When I decided to walk away from playing an organized sport, I needed to wrestle with it for a semester before knowing it was the right decision and being at peace with it.

I wish the young man much success. I'm guessing that opens up a scholarship? Maybe Rankin was shopping around for scholarship money this fall and found some, thus deciding to stay at Tech and finish his degree???? Out=of-state tuition is expensive. I don't know what his situation was or is. I just hope all works out for him.

n
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    "He's not redshirting for us" makes no sense. If JJ knows he is transferring, it would be adios Rankin. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. It would make no sense to have him sit on the bench. It would make no sense for him to join the huddle during timeouts. If JJ allowed this knowing he is transferring, I would have questions about JJ. JJ has said Rankin is dealing with personal issues (or some such word). I think JJ is being straight up about the mysterious reason you reference. If you read Rankin's bio on hokiesports.com,it says in the first couple of sentences that he missed a game last year due to a family matter. My guess is that"family matter" has grown a lot worse. What is it? I don't know, but I have been through something that would qualify. I won't get into that here. Some things simply stay in the family. I suspect you can think of some things that would fit that description.
    "He's not redshirting for us" could make sense in one way. I don't think you can count time out due to ineligibility as a redshirt, can't you? What if there were something affecting his eligibility. Would his statement make sense in that context?
    Last edited by Freddyburg Hokie; Fri Dec 27 2013 at 06:36 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Most of the 'internal basketball team' issues is between the coach and the players. I really respect JJ for keeping it between rankin and himself and taking the high road and not letting this get into the media or much worse the Message board environment. THey are working it out; Rankin appears to be getting a degree and moving on with life. Its really tough on JJ as well, because lets be frank, his position is shaky, and he's making the TOUGH calls…..

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    n

"He's not redshirting for us" could make sense in one way. I don't think you can count time out due to ineligibility as a redshirt, can't you? What if there were something affecting his eligibility. Would his statement make sense in that context?

I agree about keeping it between coach and player. His bio said he missed a game last year due a family matter. I suspect that same issue is still there but much worse now. I have a couple of things in mind but prefer not speculationg on a message board. You can do your own speculating. There are things in life that can really drag you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Most of the 'internal basketball team' issues is between the coach and the players. I really respect JJ for keeping it between rankin and himself and taking the high road and not letting this get into the media or much worse the Message board environment. THey are working it out; Rankin appears to be getting a degree and moving on with life. Its really tough on JJ as well, because lets be frank, his position is shaky, and he's making the TOUGH calls…..