Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HokiePoq View Post
    If this is the case, does he have to sit a year? Or is this the sitting year since he isn't playing? If so, I am very impressed with the way it is being handled. Doing what is in the player's best interest while he keeps enrolled in school....well done. I imagine this will free a scholarship second semester, right?
    This does smell like a transfer to me, but I haven't seen many like it.

If he transfers, he has to sit a year starting when he enrolls at the new school. Practically speaking, that means he could suit up for a new school in December 2014 or January 2015 and play for the 2014-2015 schedule at the new school. Not playing this fall would mean that he'd be eligible to claim 2013-2014 as his redshirt year and have one partial year plus one full year at the new school.

If there's a transfer coming, maybe this is simply a "friendly" one, where he's simply supporting the team as much as he can -- short of playing and blowing his redshirt year -- while he's still here. That would make sense to me, given that we're presumably still paying for his scholarship. The thing that doesn't make sense with that theory is why the hypothetical transfer would be a big secret.

I see no reason to play the charades for an eminent transfer. See Donaldven Manning and others. Transfers are usually handled in a very straight forward way.
    This way makes no sense. I would be left questioning JJ. I am thinking the situation might involve a family matter. He missed a game last year due to a family matter. See his bio at Hokiesports.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Yeah. I'm expecting an announcement right after exams are over. Then I'm expecting Berman to grill JJ mercilessly about the whole charade.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogbob View Post
    I see no reason to play the charades for an eminent transfer. See Donaldven Manning and others. Transfers are usually handled in a very straight forward way.
    This way makes no sense. I would be left questioning JJ. I am thinking the situation might involve a family matter. He missed a game last year due to a family matter. See his bio at Hokiesports.
    A "family matter" could have him transfer and play right away in the 2014-15 season if he moves closer to home.

True, but there is no reason for playing the games that are going on. No need to have him on the bench or anything else. Simply say he isn't with the team because he wants to transfer close to home due to a family matter. Furthermore, why sit out, not redshirt, and waste a year of eligibility? That makes no sense if you want to transfer. Maximize your eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    A "family matter" could have him transfer and play right away in the 2014-15 season if he moves closer to home.

True, but there is no reason for playing the games that are going on. No need to have him on the bench or anything else. Simply say he isn't with the team because he wants to transfer close to home due to a family matter. Furthermore, why sit out, not redshirt, and waste a year of eligibility? That makes no sense if you want to transfer. Maximize your eligibility.
    I would assume that the sitting out has everything to do with redshirting and maximizing eligibility...the fact that he's sitting on the bench doesn't mean he can't (just as it doesn't mean Maurice Kirby can't)

I was going by JJ's latest comment (to Berman I believe) that he was not redshirting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    I would assume that the sitting out has everything to do with redshirting and maximizing eligibility...the fact that he's sitting on the bench doesn't mean he can't (just as it doesn't mean Maurice Kirby can't)

I was going by JJ's latest comment (to Berman I believe) that he was not redshirting.
    gotcha...I had not seen that

maybe that's in the sense that, were he to choose not to transfer, he'd play for us in the spring

or maybe it's not transfer at all and he'll play in the spring if "whatever" is cleared up

it's weird, that's for sure!

I don't know quite how to parse JJ's comments:

Johnson doesn’t expect Marquis Rankin to redshirt this year, but he also doesn’t expect to see him play this year either.
    If he's not playing this year, he's redshirting by definition. My understanding is that "redshirting" isn't actually a thing. You have five years to play four and all redshirting does is leave one of your first four years unused so you can play in your fifth. I redshirted all four years of my undergraduate studies as well as my first year in grad school. I did burn all three years of eligibility I had for the Virginia Tech computer programming team, and without a single foot injury.

I would interpret JJ's comments to mean "he's not redshirting *for us*" -- i.e., he's either bailing and redshirting for someone else's benefit or just that we didn't ask him to redshirt but he's not going to be playing for some other mysterious reason.

"He's not redshirting for us" makes no sense. If JJ knows he is transferring, it would be adios Rankin. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. It would make no sense to have him sit on the bench. It would make no sense for him to join the huddle during timeouts. If JJ allowed this knowing he is transferring, I would have questions about JJ. JJ has said Rankin is dealing with personal issues (or some such word). I think JJ is being straight up about the mysterious reason you reference. If you read Rankin's bio on hokiesports.com,it says in the first couple of sentences that he missed a game last year due to a family matter. My guess is that"family matter" has grown a lot worse. What is it? I don't know, but I have been through something that would qualify. I won't get into that here. Some things simply stay in the family. I suspect you can think of some things that would fit that description.

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post

If he's not playing this year, he's redshirting by definition. My understanding is that "redshirting" isn't actually a thing. You have five years to play four and all redshirting does is leave one of your first four years unused so you can play in your fifth. I redshirted all four years of my undergraduate studies as well as my first year in grad school. I did burn all three years of eligibility I had for the Virginia Tech computer programming team, and without a single foot injury.

I would interpret JJ's comments to mean "he's not redshirting *for us*" -- i.e., he's either bailing and redshirting for someone else's benefit or just that we didn't ask him to redshirt but he's not going to be playing for some other mysterious reason.

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post

If a player does not play during a season, then it does not necessarily mean he is redshirting. I have seen it a couple of times on VT's football team where a FR (example purposes only could be any class) is listed on the roster and didn't play that season. The following season he was listed as a SO instead of a r-FR.