Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Senior Member NCHokie83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 02, 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,857

    Let FSU be the example why bowls are not merely exhibitions

    Last year, they very easily could have gone into the Orange Bowl against 'lowly' NIU and gone through the motions putting up a fairly unimpressive win, but they didn't. They showed up to play, took care of business, throttled them 31-10 and used the experience and momentum gained from that win to carry themselves into this season and now they're playing for the National Championship. That one win vaulted them higher in the standings going into this year, brought a lot more exposure to the program, helped make the school an easier sell on the recruiting circuit, and got the team focused for the season they just had. Yes, having Jameis Winston really helps, but you cannot discount just how much winning the ACC and cruising in their BCS bowl last year helps.

    This is why I always got so frustrated with the performances of VT teams in the past in their BCS games. The viewpoints that the bowls should be seen as a reward, while on the surface sounding nice, just never really sat well with me, cause of the potential momentum we continuously lost with the underwhelming performances year after year. The losses against Kansas and Michigan still hurt to this day because of the momentum completely wasted.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

  2. #2

    Join Date
    November 27, 1999
    Posts
    14,496
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Last year, they very easily could have gone into the Orange Bowl against 'lowly' NIU and gone through the motions putting up a fairly unimpressive win, but they didn't. They showed up to play, took care of business, throttled them 31-10 and used the experience and momentum gained from that win to carry themselves into this season and now they're playing for the National Championship. That one win vaulted them higher in the standings going into this year, brought a lot more exposure to the program, helped make the school an easier sell on the recruiting circuit, and got the team focused for the season they just had. Yes, having Jameis Winston really helps, but you cannot discount just how much winning the ACC and cruising in their BCS bowl last year helps.

    This is why I always got so frustrated with the performances of VT teams in the past in their BCS games. The viewpoints that the bowls should be seen as a reward, while on the surface sounding nice, just never really sat well with me, cause of the potential momentum we continuously lost with the underwhelming performances year after year. The losses against Kansas and Michigan still hurt to this day because of the momentum completely wasted.
    After the loss to Kansas, we lost the "reward mentality". My understanding (granted, Kansas was also my last game around the program) is that curfews became more strict after that and that the overall atmosphere of the trip was more "business-like". The Michigan game did hurt a lot (and I was there). But the fact is that preparation wasn't the problem. We thoroughly beat them up and down the field. We just couldn't score the points to show it (not to mention the bone-headed "punt/run-option" call). Otherwise, since 07, the Cincy and Tennessee games were well played on our part. Stanford was simply a MUCH better football team, we got NO breaks against Michigan, and then we beat Rutgers last year... but weren't a very good team anyway.

  3. #3
    Edgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    49,228
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECHFAN View Post
    After the loss to Kansas, we lost the "reward mentality". My understanding (granted, Kansas was also my last game around the program) is that curfews became more strict after that and that the overall atmosphere of the trip was more "business-like"
    Unfortunately much of the damage to our fan base had already been done. Hokie fans everywhere were livid when we found out Frank was just going through the motions during bowl games. Why should we pay thousands of dollars to attend bowl games when the team is just there to have a good time (as well as minimal effort in the game).

    I know Frank has changed his bowl philosophy, but is it too little too late? It will take several years of focused play & wins before many will start attending bowls again. I think of it like the American auto industry. For years, they thought they were the only game in town, so they slacked off massively in their quality & innovation. The result was the Japanese manufacturers grabbed a huge chunk of the American market because they strived to instill quality into everything they made, regardless the cost. American manufacturers are having a hard time getting those customers back, even with excellent products. Guess the consumers (including VT football fans) have adopted a "wait & see" attitude...lets see how you do over the long run before I decide to spend that money again...
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

  4. #4
    STs and the offense play calling cost us the Michigan game. That is the last VT game, regular season or bowl, that will ever "get" me as long as Frank is coach. That game was a gimmie but pure stupidity ( I can't think of a stronger word) with offensive play calling and STs play calling cost us that game. The game should have been over at half time. The overtime call by the ref was wrong, but it never should have gone into OT. We were so much better than them everywhere except on the sidelines.





    Quote Originally Posted by VTECHFAN View Post
    After the loss to Kansas, we lost the "reward mentality". My understanding (granted, Kansas was also my last game around the program) is that curfews became more strict after that and that the overall atmosphere of the trip was more "business-like". The Michigan game did hurt a lot (and I was there). But the fact is that preparation wasn't the problem. We thoroughly beat them up and down the field. We just couldn't score the points to show it (not to mention the bone-headed "punt/run-option" call). Otherwise, since 07, the Cincy and Tennessee games were well played on our part. Stanford was simply a MUCH better football team, we got NO breaks against Michigan, and then we beat Rutgers last year... but weren't a very good team anyway.
    --Public Knowledge, Football expert

  5. #5
    OrangeHokieFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 08, 2010
    Posts
    1,064
    Those St and Offense struggles have continued for two seasons. Just shows why we need to take bowl games seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by public knowledge View Post
    STs and the offense play calling cost us the Michigan game. That is the last VT game, regular season or bowl, that will ever "get" me as long as Frank is coach. That game was a gimmie but pure stupidity ( I can't think of a stronger word) with offensive play calling and STs play calling cost us that game. The game should have been over at half time. The overtime call by the ref was wrong, but it never should have gone into OT. We were so much better than them everywhere except on the sidelines.

  6. #6
    Senior Member vthokiedsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 07, 2012
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Unfortunately much of the damage to our fan base had already been done. Hokie fans everywhere were livid when we found out Frank was just going through the motions during bowl games. Why should we pay thousands of dollars to attend bowl games when the team is just there to have a good time (as well as minimal effort in the game).

    I know Frank has changed his bowl philosophy, but is it too little too late? It will take several years of focused play & wins before many will start attending bowls again. I think of it like the American auto industry. For years, they thought they were the only game in town, so they slacked off massively in their quality & innovation. The result was the Japanese manufacturers grabbed a huge chunk of the American market because they strived to instill quality into everything they made, regardless the cost. American manufacturers are having a hard time getting those customers back, even with excellent products. Guess the consumers (including VT football fans) have adopted a "wait & see" attitude...lets see how you do over the long run before I decide to spend that money again...
    nicely said man.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •