Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Being able to run the football and control the clock while playing stifling defense is a tried and tested method for winning football games. As long as the defense is awesome, I frickin LOVE a 17-10 type game. It means we played OUR game and imposed our will on the opponent. Of all the games we played and won against Miami, my absolute favorite is still that first win in 1995. The final score was 13-7. We had a 5 1/2 minute edge in time of possession. We ran for 300 yards on them. We held them to 4 of 17 on third down conversions. They only reached the Red Zone twice and only scored once. THAT'S Virginia Tech Football.
    I understand the love for the lunchpail, fiending for blocked punts while announcers absurdly kept predicting them on air, etc, plus I was at the '95 VT-Miami game. 13-7 was nice but 31-7 would've been much more satisfying in my opinion. I don't like nailbiters. Back in the 70s and 80s TOP generally reflected a team's success on offense because passing was still a foreign concept. They didn't keep many stats back in the day because there was only one scorekeeper and this was probably something one guy started just to keep from being bored. It doesn't mean a single thing. Running the ball too often nowadays can and will put you at a disadvantage. If you want to be the best, scoring points has to be the top priority.
    Last edited by free hokie; Tue Dec 17 2013 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by free hokie View Post
    I understand the love for the lunchpail, fiending for blocked punts while announcers absurdly kept predicting them on air, etc, plus I was at the '95 VT-Miami game. 13-7 was nice but 31-7 would've been much more satisfying in my opinion. I don't like nailbiters. Back in the 70s and 80s TOP generally reflected a team's success on offense because passing was still a foreign concept. They didn't keep many stats back in the day because there was only one scorekeeper and this was probably something one guy started just to keep from being bored. It doesn't mean a single thing. Running the ball too often nowadays can and will put you at a disadvantage. If you want to be the best, scoring points has to be the top priority.
    It's called being excellent at whatever offensive scheme you choose. The idea that a team doesn't have to be excellent on O when the D is excellent is "embracing the suck" (to coin a phrase).