Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If he did bolt right after U.c.l.a.? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....????

Methinks that would be off-field and/or personal health business.

As I really do not believe that he wants to go out in a diminished mode.
    To me that has really eaten away at Frank for the last 24 odd months.

That's not Frank the Alpha-competitor at Golf that everyone tells tales about either.

late-
    b-st.

'не говорите хороший бой

Quote Originally Posted by NokieHokie View Post
    His scoring TDs at ease not imposing your will on your opponent as well? It doesn't have to be either/or. I saw we play stifling defense and score lots of points as well...
    Scoring lots of points is nice... but it's not necessary. When you talk about scoring lots of points against obviously overmatched teams, like Western Carolina, I agree. We should roll up 60 to 70 points on those guys. We should have scored 30 on Maryland this year. We should have hung 25-30 on Duke and BC this year. Frickin TURNOVERS killed us in those two games. But too many people whine about how we can't score on teams like FSU, Clemson, Michigan or whoever and sometimes you're just not gonna score on those guys. But our best bet has always been to try to control the clock and play great defense and, Lord willing, we'll score more points than we allow.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonstreet View Post
    If he did bolt right after U.c.l.a.? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....????

Methinks that would be off-field and/or personal health business.

As I really do not believe that he wants to go out in a diminished mode.
    To me that has really eaten away at Frank for the last 24 odd months.

That's not Frank the Alpha-competitor at Golf that everyone tells tales about either.

late-
    b-st.
    I would assume that most head coaches are either ultra competive or at least have those competitive tendencies in their personalities. Do you believe an ultra competitive coach would know when he/she is in an dimished mode or would the competitive nature blind the individual to believe that he/she can continue to coach at that high level that everyone is accustomed to seeing? I would believe if a highly successful coach starts to see an increase in loses by 25-50% and those loses are easily explanable (i.e. increase in the number of injuries, bad breaks, etc.), then the coach's competitive nature will continue to drive the individual to believe he/she can still coach at that same level when in reality it may not be the case. In some regards, there may even be some aspects of their personality that believes they are very "close" to turning things around and they just need more "time." If they have that additional time, then they may believe it will be enough for them to go out with their "Hollywood ending." Something else worth considering is the fate of Bear Bryant and Joe Paterno after they left football might even be weighing on Beamer's mind. If he believes there is a good possibility that the same fate may happen to him, then it could motivate him to delay his retirement for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Scoring lots of points is nice... but it's not necessary. When you talk about scoring lots of points against obviously overmatched teams, like Western Carolina, I agree. We should roll up 60 to 70 points on those guys. We should have scored 30 on Maryland this year. We should have hung 25-30 on Duke and BC this year. Frickin TURNOVERS killed us in those two games. But too many people whine about how we can't score on teams like FSU, Clemson, Michigan or whoever and sometimes you're just not gonna score on those guys. But our best bet has always been to try to control the clock and play great defense and, Lord willing, we'll score more points than we allow.
    Scoring points on the high profile schools is necessary to a degree because it equates to "style points." The more style points a program has, then the greater odds that the program will be ranked higher in whatever weekly poll because at some point those style points will be too much for people to ignore. The higher the program is ranked, then the greater the odds the team will be selected for the Playoffs. Then again I guess the committee could always select the #1-3 ranked teams in the final regular season poll and the #14 ranked team because it is a Power 5 conference champion.

But too many people whine about how we can't score on teams like FSU, Clemson, Michigan or whoever and sometimes you're just not gonna score on those guys.
    Michigan and Clemson had terrible defenses, no matter how you try to present it.

Michigan and Clemson had terrible defenses, no matter how you try to present it.
    And we had an awful offense. That's not the point. The point is we don't NEED to go to a wide open spread the field chuck and duck offense. Ball control and smashmouth should be our bread and butter. We just need to get back to playing nasty offensive linemen with bruising running backs and using our receivers to punish defenses for biting on the play-action fake.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

And we had an awful offense. That's not the point. The point is we don't NEED to go to a wide open spread the field chuck and duck offense. Ball control and smashmouth should be our bread and butter. We just need to get back to playing nasty offensive linemen with bruising running backs and using our receivers to punish defenses for biting on the play-action fake.
    It is the point, you said we shouldn't expect to score on those guys, as if they had a top 5 defense. There is no way that VT, a top 25 BCS program should have such trouble scoring against weak defenses.

Nobody knows if scoring lots of points is/was necessary until after the game is over. It's not whining when people complain about a lack of skill, organization, good coaching, and a good scheme on O. And did you realize you used the phrases "our best bet" and "Lord willing" in the same sentence? If controlling the clock and great defense is our best bet, I would rather couple those with scoring a lot of points than hope in the Lord to win the game.

Ball control and smashmouth are great as long as the ball gets into the end zone often. An O that is good at scoring doesn't have to be wide open like Oregon or Baylor.

It is the point, you said we shouldn't expect to score on those guys, as if they had a top 5 defense. There is no way that VT, a top 25 BCS program should have such trouble scoring against weak defenses.
    Correct. Whether the O is wide open or ball control. Correct.