Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11

    Join Date
    September 22, 2002
    Posts
    3,384
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofcassell View Post
    What if he shocked us all and retired after a bowl win over ucla? He'd have won 10 straight vs uva. Current active wins leader. 22 straight bowls....he's one of, if not the greatest people to ever come from virginia Tech.

    With the trilogy of legends ((Mack brown, paterno and Bowden)) careers ending rough, when do you think Beamer decides to step down?
    I know he doesn't want to go out like those guys. He wants to go out on his own, but when is that going to happen?

    We've started to decline slightly the past couple years, so I hope that doesn't keep trending.

    And you can say he deserves to go out when he wants. It's a nice thought, but hardly ever truly happens.
    As long as he has a QB and a kicker he is staying.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by HwoodHokie View Post
    As long as he has a QB and a kicker he is staying.
    I wouldn't take that statement so literally. I don't think 10 years from now he'll still be coaching even if he would have a good QB and kicker.

  3. #13
    Old Line Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    3659′36″N 7813′30″W
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofcassell View Post
    What if he shocked us all and retired after a bowl win over ucla? He'd have won 10 straight vs uva. Current active wins leader. 22 straight bowls....he's one of, if not the greatest people to ever come from virginia Tech.

    With the trilogy of legends ((Mack brown, paterno and Bowden)) careers ending rough, when do you think Beamer decides to step down?
    I know he doesn't want to go out like those guys. He wants to go out on his own, but when is that going to happen?

    We've started to decline slightly the past couple years, so I hope that doesn't keep trending.

    And you can say he deserves to go out when he wants. It's a nice thought, but hardly ever truly happens.
    Frank will retire when his Georgia lake house is on his mind more than football.

  4. #14
    There could be 20 more years for Beamer at VT if his next boss (AD) is like Weaver and if fans keep thinking Beamerball (-running most of the time and playing in 13-10 snoozefests just so Bud can be proud of the D stats) is ideal for VT's growth in the sport. I'd rather have a coach with enough guts to let his quarterback throw the ball in the air 75 percent of the time. True, when it's in the air anyone can grab it, but Bud's D stats would no longer be the team focus.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Retire as in his decision?
    As long as his health allows him to coach, he's not going anywhere unless someone else makes the decision for him.
    It may be the new AD, the new president, a BOV, or God.
    I can't believe that we are talking about this. I hope that the new AD an Prez will realize what CFB has done for the school. Beamer should stay as long as he wants. I don't want to think about all the hype when we finally have to hire a new football coach.
    It's a Great Day to be a Hokie!

  6. #16
    Is your name Jason Garrett?

    Quote Originally Posted by free hokie View Post
    There could be 20 more years for Beamer at VT if his next boss (AD) is like Weaver and if fans keep thinking Beamerball (-running most of the time and playing in 13-10 snoozefests just so Bud can be proud of the D stats) is ideal for VT's growth in the sport. I'd rather have a coach with enough guts to let his quarterback throw the ball in the air 75 percent of the time. True, when it's in the air anyone can grab it, but Bud's D stats would no longer be the team focus.
    "Never mistake this message board for the real world. It's Fantasy Island and it has more Tattoos than Texas has cowpies. But it is high entertainment." -- Ancient Hokie

  7. #17
    Hokie CPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28, 1999
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    61,763
    Quote Originally Posted by free hokie View Post
    There could be 20 more years for Beamer at VT if his next boss (AD) is like Weaver and if fans keep thinking Beamerball (-running most of the time and playing in 13-10 snoozefests just so Bud can be proud of the D stats) is ideal for VT's growth in the sport. I'd rather have a coach with enough guts to let his quarterback throw the ball in the air 75 percent of the time. True, when it's in the air anyone can grab it, but Bud's D stats would no longer be the team focus.
    Being able to run the football and control the clock while playing stifling defense is a tried and tested method for winning football games. As long as the defense is awesome, I frickin LOVE a 17-10 type game. It means we played OUR game and imposed our will on the opponent. Of all the games we played and won against Miami, my absolute favorite is still that first win in 1995. The final score was 13-7. We had a 5 1/2 minute edge in time of possession. We ran for 300 yards on them. We held them to 4 of 17 on third down conversions. They only reached the Red Zone twice and only scored once. THAT'S Virginia Tech Football.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

    I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

  8. #18
    BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18, 2001
    Location
    WAR 757!
    Posts
    49,192
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Health willing Franks going til at least 2016. He's really looking forward to the game at Bristol.
    I have kinda thought that, reading between the lines, 2016 is his final season. (No inside knowledge whatsoever, just my guess.)

    I have no earthly idea if the new AD will do it, but I wonder if we might consider going the coach-in-waiting route to try and keep continuity.
    ----------------

    Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days.

    --Ephesians 5:16

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    I frickin LOVE a 17-10 type game. It means we played OUR game and imposed our will on the opponent.
    His scoring TDs at ease not imposing your will on your opponent as well? It doesn't have to be either/or. I saw we play stifiling defense and score lots of points as well...

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by hokieman842 View Post
    I can't believe that we are talking about this. I hope that the new AD an Prez will realize what CFB has done for the school. Beamer should stay as long as he wants. I don't want to think about all the hype when we finally have to hire a new football coach.
    Big time college athletics is now becoming more viewed the same way as running a business. It is debatable whether it should be viewed like that, but that seems to be where the trend is going these days. If a president and AD give a head coach an open ticket to deciding their own departure, then I see them assuming two risks. First, being the lack of accountability of the head coach by the president and/or AD. Second, being the program's future development could be hindered by a head coach that sticks around too long. When a program experiences a great head coach, then people sometimes will forget that the program existed prior to the head coach's arrival and will continue to exist after the head coach's departure. Also, they seem to forget that it is possible the program could have another great head coach. When a person has coaching in his/her blood, it is sometimes hard for that person to know when the time is "right" to walk away. Now this post is not directed at what should be done with Beamer, but more of a generalization of the various great coaches (i.e. John Wooden, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, Tom Osborne, Woody Hayes, etc.) that have come before us and how the schools handled the transition. I do not believe there is one "right" way to do it. However, I do believe that if a school does not get it "right," then it could set the program back for years or even decades (see UCLA's men's basketball program post-John Wooden).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •