Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

When will Frank Beamer retire?

What if he shocked us all and retired after a bowl win over ucla? He'd have won 10 straight vs uva. Current active wins leader. 22 straight bowls....he's one of, if not the greatest people to ever come from virginia Tech.

With the trilogy of legends ((Mack brown, paterno and Bowden)) careers ending rough, when do you think Beamer decides to step down?
    I know he doesn't want to go out like those guys. He wants to go out on his own, but when is that going to happen?

We've started to decline slightly the past couple years, so I hope that doesn't keep trending.

And you can say he deserves to go out when he wants. It's a nice thought, but hardly ever truly happens.
    Last edited by kingofcassell; Fri Dec 13 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofcassell View Post
    What if he shocked us all and retired after a bowl win over ucla? He'd have won 10 straight vs uva. Current active wins leader. 22 straight bowls....he's one of, if not the greatest people to ever come from virginia Tech.

With the trilogy of legends ((Mack brown, paterno and Bowden)) careers ending rough, when do you think Beamer decides to step down?
    I know he doesn't want to go out like those guys. He wants to go out on his own, but when is that going to happen?

We've started to decline slightly the past couple years, so I hope that doesn't keep trending.

And you can say he deserves to go out when he wants. It's a nice thought, but hardly ever truly happens.
    3 to 5 years....on the low side if we aren't back in the ACCCG/BCS mix in the next couple of seasons. Maybe slightly longer if things are humming along nicely.

I think the 3 to 5 is about right. I was going to say 4.
    Cast off the shoes and follow the gourd!

Quote Originally Posted by Go VT View Post
    I think the 3 to 5 is about right. I was going to say 4.
    Retire as in his decision?
    As long as his health allows him to coach, he's not going anywhere unless someone else makes the decision for him.
    It may be the new AD, the new president, a BOV, or God.

Given the 2016 game in Bristol, barring a health problem, I don't see him stepping down before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie1992 View Post
    Given the 2016 game in Bristol, barring a health problem, I don't see him stepping down before then.
    Agree with this
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

The other factor, outside of a championship are all time wins for Beamer. He's never been driven by that along. But he has 266 wins. 34 more will give him 300. 40 will leave him #10 on the all-time list. 58 more wins will move him to #5, and pass him by some guy named "Bear".

The other factor, outside of a championship are all time wins for Beamer. He's never been driven by that along. But he has 266 wins. 34 more will give him 300. 40 will leave him #10 on the all-time list. 58 more wins will move him to #5, and pass him by some guy named "Bear".
    Unless VT starts to put together a bunch of 10+ win seasons, I don't see him staying long enough to pass Bear. I do think he would be happy to have 300 wins which may be a more reasonable goal if it looks like VT will only have 7-9 wins per season. Also, I think 300 wins might be a "magical number" for coaches getting into the NCAA HOF which would be a nice honor for Beamer.

Health willing Franks going til at least 2016. He's really looking forward to the game at Bristol.

He said as much, he will coach the Bristol game. My question is that a backhanded way of saying he will retire after that.
    For 26 laps back in the spring of 1960, he was BEHIND me, right there in my rearview mirror, that red, white and blue STP: James Massey (characterized in a song by Wild Ponies)