Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    I think the major question is: what can we afford? The bigger the facility, the bigger the price tag.

Also, if we build a bigger place to get more events, you're gonna have to take a look at adding a parking garage in the lot next to Cassell. Can't imagine that will go over well, particularly with tailgating alumni.
    We're already talking tens of millions of dollars: there won't be a huge difference in $$$ no matter how many the arena seats. And the arena will likely not be on the current Cassell site as Cassell will need to be used while a new arena is being built. It might very well be in the parking lot across the street. They'll figure the parking situation out.

Then turn Cassell into our new parking garage / renovated athletic center. Boom!
    Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    We're already talking tens of millions of dollars: there won't be a huge difference in $$$ no matter how many the arena seats. And the arena will likely not be on the current Cassell site as Cassell will need to be used while a new arena is being built. It might very well be in the parking lot across the street. They'll figure the parking situation out.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    Right now they have concerts in Burress which is really lame while other schools have them in their basketball gymnasium. Burress restricts social interaction and dancing. No one wants to watch a concert in a seat, this isn't the opera. We need to get with it so we can bring big names here and make money off of them. Not many people fill up the concerts now because of the lame atmosphere.
    Lots of big concerts in Cassell in the mid-70s, including Leon Russell, Seals and Crofts, Roberta Flack, J Geils Band, Blue Oyster Cult and others. When did they stop?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Lots of big concerts in Cassell in the mid-70s, including Leon Russell, Seals and Crofts, Roberta Flack, J Geils Band, Blue Oyster Cult and others. When did they stop?
    I think that ended when the money got bigger and the venue options expanded. The big acts wanted to play the bigger venues as venues grew in size and numbers. There probably are acts that would play Cassell today but they are acts that would also play Burruss Auditorium. If you are good enough to fill Cassell, you are good enough to play bigger venues all the time. No need to go through the travel challenges to get to Blacksburg which is on the way to pretty much nowhere else.

p.s. I remember seeing Jethro Tull, Chicago and others at Tech Coliseum.

Ding ding ding you are the winner. The big acts would play in Cassell but most don't want to play in Burress. It's really limited the options and they need to go to concerts in Cassell because they are losing money. Instead they just get crappy rap groups or no bodies for Burress right now. I'm jealous of you guys btw getting to see those big names.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    I think that ended when the money got bigger and the venue options expanded. The big acts wanted to play the bigger venues as venues grew in size and numbers. There probably are acts that would play Cassell today but they are acts that would also play Burruss Auditorium. If you are good enough to fill Cassell, you are good enough to play bigger venues all the time. No need to go through the travel challenges to get to Blacksburg which is on the way to pretty much nowhere else.

p.s. I remember seeing Jethro Tull, Chicago and others at Tech Coliseum.

Couple things evolved in the music business -
    Bands went to heavier roof hung sound snd lighting platforms - IIRC, Cassell's roof cannot support those platforms, and that has been a problem since the 80s.
    I also believe that Cassell's infrastructure is difficult for TV to work with, in terms of running cables out to the trucks. This may also cause a problem for all the video & canned sound inputs required by many modern shows.

With the transition from music as hardware (records/tapes/CDs) to software makes touring more important for generating income. IMO, if VT has venues where a band can draw 6-8K for a concert, then there will be band who will want to play there.

BTW, as an 80's person, the best concerts were always at William and Mary Hall. Always thought the classic rock you noted were lame, but everyone has their sweet spot for what they like. I casn appreciate that teenagers like rap for no better reason than to piss off a geezer like me.

Ding ding ding you are the winner. The big acts would play in Cassell but most don't want to play in Burress. It's really limited the options and they need to go to concerts in Cassell because they are losing money. Instead they just get crappy rap groups or no bodies for Burress right now. I'm jealous of you guys btw getting to see those big names.
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Another point I should have made earlier is that we're not going to many (if any) events in the 10K+ range to nuCassell. JPJ is only 2.5 hours away and is an excellent facility, centrally located in the middle of the state. If tours are making a stop in VA, I find it hard to imagine we're going to be beating out JPJ for business.

We should make sure that our new place does have the amenities required for concerts in 5-10K range though. We might not be able to take business away from JPJ but there's no reason we can't get acts that show up at the Roanoke Civic Center to come to Blacksburg instead.

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    Couple things evolved in the music business -
    Bands went to heavier roof hung sound snd lighting platforms - IIRC, Cassell's roof cannot support those platforms, and that has been a problem since the 80s.
    I also believe that Cassell's infrastructure is difficult for TV to work with, in terms of running cables out to the trucks. This may also cause a problem for all the video & canned sound inputs required by many modern shows.

With the transition from music as hardware (records/tapes/CDs) to software makes touring more important for generating income. IMO, if VT has venues where a band can draw 6-8K for a concert, then there will be band who will want to play there.

BTW, as an 80's person, the best concerts were always at William and Mary Hall. Always thought the classic rock you noted were lame, but everyone has their sweet spot for what they like. I casn appreciate that teenagers like rap for no better reason than to piss off a geezer like me.
    Ha!! Well, it wasn't classic rock when we saw them in the early 70s. Most of it was pretty cutting edge. Chicago? Maybe not but even early 70s Chicago had not gone syrupy sweet yet. Still more jazz rock at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    It's better to be prepared just in case, instead of having to go back and fix what should have been done in the first place. Lane Stadium was built to suit the needs of the football program in is 1960's state when a 30K seating capacity was more than enough to handle the demand for VPI football. As you see, times change. We may not need a 15K seat arena now, or even a 10K seat arena, but who knows what the future holds? If VT is going to build a new arena, it'll be over 10K seats- it doesn't make any sense for it not to be. And it'll the ability to accommodate other events too, not just basketball.
    You mean the hockey team could actually play its home games on campus instead of having to drive to Roanoke?

Right now they have concerts in Burress which is really lame while other schools have them in their basketball gymnasium. Burress restricts social interaction and dancing. No one wants to watch a concert in a seat, this isn't the opera. We need to get with it so we can bring big names here and make money off of them. Not many people fill up the concerts now because of the lame atmosphere.
    When I was at VT, majority of the concerts was held in Squires Student Center. I forget the exact name of the room, but it was located on the 2nd floor on the side closest to the library. Dave Matthews accustic concert was the only concert held in Burress.