Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

We really need a new facility that would seat about 8,500 including revenue generating suites with a seating configuration that would allow student floor access (at least 1 entire side on the tv side) with that portion having enough space behind the students that would allow unobstructed views.
    The key to us will be the suites in order to make it financially feasible.

The way it is now just doesn't fit us. Maybe even elevate the court
    Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    I agree. Plus, the more obvious issue is we don't have the money for a JPJ.

I would just want an updated version of Cassell. 8-10K, designed for student seating around the court (especially on the TV side).

He we go again….. NO VIsion, no expectation, and the short term that SW VA is too big a constraint for VT. If Stegar had that prospective we would not have built a new Center for the Performing arts (over 100 million) as well as new medical center, as well as huge research footprint. Expect in the next 10-15 years a transformation at VT. growth to over 40000, more out of state students, large graduate school footprint. With that size of university, associated facilities are needed. Also, expect new revenue streams, more corporate partnerships, etc. r

There will be time to do the numbers, and craft a plan to generate the best return of investment….. That is why 10-15 years out is so important. it will be a different campus by then, with other needs. ALso, most of the alumni will not have any reference to the VT pre-1970. THat is different perception completely, Also, we will see vibrant research centers in DC area and Hampton Roads that broaden outreach.

Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    Not sure the location would work. JPJ can pull from DC and RIC. Blacksburg area will pull from Roanoke and Wytheville.

And most of that has nothing to do with what size of a basketball arena to build. I don't think building a JPJ size arena and not even have it half full for OOC games is the way to go. Now where the program us in 10-15 years might change my mind, but I can't see a reason to build an arena bigger than Cassell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    He we go again….. NO VIsion, no expectation, and the short term that SW VA is too big a constraint for VT. If Stegar had that prospective we would not have built a new Center for the Performing arts (over 100 million) as well as new medical center, as well as huge research footprint.
    I'm not sure comparing those things to a basketball arena is a very fruitful exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    And most of that has nothing to do with what size of a basketball arena to build. I don't think building a JPJ size arena and not even have it half full for OOC games is the way to go. Now where the program us in 10-15 years might change my mind, but I can't see a reason to build an arena bigger than Cassell.
    It's better to be prepared just in case, instead of having to go back and fix what should have been done in the first place. Lane Stadium was built to suit the needs of the football program in is 1960's state when a 30K seating capacity was more than enough to handle the demand for VPI football. As you see, times change. We may not need a 15K seat arena now, or even a 10K seat arena, but who knows what the future holds? If VT is going to build a new arena, it'll be over 10K seats- it doesn't make any sense for it not to be. And it'll the ability to accommodate other events too, not just basketball.

Right now they have concerts in Burress which is really lame while other schools have them in their basketball gymnasium. Burress restricts social interaction and dancing. No one wants to watch a concert in a seat, this isn't the opera. We need to get with it so we can bring big names here and make money off of them. Not many people fill up the concerts now because of the lame atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    It's better to be prepared just in case, instead of having to go back and fix what should have been done in the first place. Lane Stadium was built to suit the needs of the football program in is 1960's state when a 30K seating capacity was more than enough to handle the demand for VPI football. As you see, times change. We may not need a 15K seat arena now, or even a 10K seat arena, but who knows what the future holds? If VT is going to build a new arena, it'll be over 10K seats- it doesn't make any sense for it not to be. And it'll the ability to accommodate other events too, not just basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    He we go again….. NO VIsion, no expectation, and the short term that SW VA is too big a constraint for VT. If Stegar had that prospective we would not have built a new Center for the Performing arts (over 100 million) as well as new medical center, as well as huge research footprint. Expect in the next 10-15 years a transformation at VT. growth to over 40000, more out of state students, large graduate school footprint. With that size of university, associated facilities are needed. Also, expect new revenue streams, more corporate partnerships, etc. r

There will be time to do the numbers, and craft a plan to generate the best return of investment….. That is why 10-15 years out is so important. it will be a different campus by then, with other needs. ALso, most of the alumni will not have any reference to the VT pre-1970. THat is different perception completely, Also, we will see vibrant research centers in DC area and Hampton Roads that broaden outreach.
    The theatre seats around 3,000 people. The area can support that a LOT easier than a 17k, or even a 10k seat arena when scheduling performances.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    The theatre seats around 3,000 people. The area can support that a LOT easier than a 17k, or even a 10k seat arena when scheduling performances.
    It doesn't even hold that many. 1,260.

Burruss auditorium seats 3,003.

Quote Originally Posted by BROman Hokie View Post
    I think the major question is: what can we afford? The bigger the facility, the bigger the price tag.

Also, if we build a bigger place to get more events, you're gonna have to take a look at adding a parking garage in the lot next to Cassell. Can't imagine that will go over well, particularly with tailgating alumni.