Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Renovations at U of Richmond's Robins Center - possible concept for updating Cassell

This may be what needs to happen with Cassell - UR took seats out of the Robins center to add Skyboxes and video boards. Capacity down, but revenue up. Given VT's location and inability to sell tickets, this may be a good option for VT to maximize basketball revenue.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/Photo...00&SPID=145908

I haven't been there yet, but will try to see it this season.

BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    This may be what needs to happen with Cassell - UR took seats out of the Robins center to add Skyboxes and video boards. Capacity down, but revenue up. Given VT's location and inability to sell tickets, this may be a good option for VT to maximize basketball revenue.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/Photo...00&SPID=145908

I haven't been there yet, but will try to see it this season.

Well, we've already got the video boards. They could take out a row or two of seats and make boxes in every other section just below the ramps so you could access boxes on even seat side and regular seats on odd seat side I think if I count right that would allow up to 9 boxes

I like Cassell just the way it is, although I would put tile back on the concourse in place of the carpet.

Mr. Weaver cited that Cassell has about 10-15 years in its economic life before planning should start for new facility. Im sure they have done unpublished consultant studies with regards to cassell etc, One thing about Jim, he's probably already done return of investment calculations on the basketball program, (which includes facilities (ie. basketball practice facility and cassell) and knows what economically makes sense in regards to cassell, its economic life, what improvements that do make sense and the early costs, capacity and return of investment for new arena.. This is about 10-15 years out…..
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    I like Cassell just the way it is, although I would put tile back on the concourse in place of the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Mr. Weaver cited that Cassell has about 10-15 years in its economic life before planning should start for new facility. Im sure they have done unpublished consultant studies with regards to cassell etc, One thing about Jim, he's probably already done return of investment calculations on the basketball program, (which includes facilities (ie. basketball practice facility and cassell) and knows what economically makes sense in regards to cassell, its economic life, what improvements that do make sense and the early costs, capacity and return of investment for new arena.. This is about 10-15 years out…..
    Yeah, I doubt we should spend major money on a facility with a 10-15 remaining life span. While I like what UR did with the Robins' Center, they probably had a building more conducive to that type of design change with the flat roof and less steep seating. Also a larger concourse if I remember correctly.

When they decide to redo Cassell in about 15 years I think they should strongly consider what UVA did by building their facility, john Paul jones. Then you can host large scale concerts that also rake in the cash and help get exposure

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

haven't been to the new robins center yet but have heard very good things about it. something simple like changing the ceiling from white to black made a huge difference in how the arena appears to the spectator.

Yeah that black gives off the reflection of the lights better. Not sure how it would look in Cassell since it has that older antique feel. I'd like to see the inside of the three point line with the wood stained darker . But I think there are many routes we can go when that time comes. One important thing is to get the fans close to the floor to creat noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    haven't been to the new robins center yet but have heard very good things about it. something simple like changing the ceiling from white to black made a huge difference in how the arena appears to the spectator.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    When they decide to redo Cassell in about 15 years I think they should strongly consider what UVA did by building their facility, john Paul jones. Then you can host large scale concerts that also rake in the cash and help get exposure
    Not sure the location would work. JPJ can pull from DC and RIC. Blacksburg area will pull from Roanoke and Wytheville.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    Not sure the location would work. JPJ can pull from DC and RIC. Blacksburg area will pull from Roanoke and Wytheville.
    I agree. Plus, the more obvious issue is we don't have the money for a JPJ.

I would just want an updated version of Cassell. 8-10K, designed for student seating around the court (especially on the TV side).