How bad is Devin Carter's hamstring?

How long will he be out. What's the deal at 133 and also with Niebert. Seems like the wheels fell of the bus this week. Good to see the upper weights lock it down. Also, what's going on at 157 why didn't we have someone ready to go after Dong

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    How long will he be out. What's the deal at 133 and also with Niebert. Seems like the wheels fell of the bus this week. Good to see the upper weights lock it down. Also, what's going on at 157 why didn't we have someone ready to go after Dong
    I'd say Devin will be ready to go in January based on the press conference. Dennis at 133 will win some big matches, but he still has a lot of bumps to take as a true freshman. We have a lot of talent on this team, but even then it is a rebuilding year.

Lineup:
    125 - Joey Dance, True Freshman, Having a decent year, but still getting used to the college grind and like most true freshman will take his losses
    133 - Dennis Gustafson, True Freshman (Big time recruit in Norstrem redshirting)
    141 - Devin Carter, Junior (doing fine just banged up)
    149 - Zach Neibert, Senior (banged up)
    157 - Sal Mastriani/Chad Strube, RS Freshman/RS Sophomore, We are hurting here, but Brascetta is redshirting (at some point you have to think long term and I completely agree with this move)
    165 - Chris Moon, Junior (banged up)
    174 - Austin Gabel, Sophomore (Have Zach Epperly redshirting who is another big time recruit)
    184 - Nick Vetterlein, Senior (Having a pretty decent year)
    197 - Chris Penny, Senior (Having a great year)
    285 - Ty Walz, Redshirt Freshman (First big tourney competition he's had so no real surprise to me. Dropped one to a kid he had beaten earlier, but it happens. Sometimes you have to lose to learn.)

The big issue comes down to injuries and redshirts. We lost a lot of talent from the room last year in Garnett, Dong, Yates, and Marone. It's going to take some time to replace that leadership and experience. Next year I think you will start to see some of the talent shine through. I think we will have a lot of individual success this year and will see some inconsistency team wise as these younger guys have ups and downs, but I don't think this season is a wash. Anytime you have a top 25 team in a rebuilding year then you know you are doing something right. I'd imagine by the end of the year some of these younger guys will start figuring it out and hopefully the older guys will start getting healthier and we can peak for March.
    Last edited by vivitron73; Thu Dec 12 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Unfortunately, Devin is done for the year.

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling...131212aaa.html

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post
    Unfortunately, Devin is done for the year.

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling...131212aaa.html
    Man, what a tough break.

Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    Man, what a tough break.
    I know I feel really bad for the kid. No one works harder than he does and then this happens. Hate to see it go down like this, but he will overcome it I have no doubt.

What's banged up about Niebert? Knee, shoulder, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by vivitron73 View Post
    I'd say Devin will be ready to go in January based on the press conference. Dennis at 133 will win some big matches, but he still has a lot of bumps to take as a true freshman. We have a lot of talent on this team, but even then it is a rebuilding year.

Lineup:
    125 - Joey Dance, True Freshman, Having a decent year, but still getting used to the college grind and like most true freshman will take his losses
    133 - Dennis Gustafson, True Freshman (Big time recruit in Norstrem redshirting)
    141 - Devin Carter, Junior (doing fine just banged up)
    149 - Zach Neibert, Senior (banged up)
    157 - Sal Mastriani/Chad Strube, RS Freshman/RS Sophomore, We are hurting here, but Brascetta is redshirting (at some point you have to think long term and I completely agree with this move)
    165 - Chris Moon, Junior (banged up)
    174 - Austin Gabel, Sophomore (Have Zach Epperly redshirting who is another big time recruit)
    184 - Nick Vetterlein, Senior (Having a pretty decent year)
    197 - Chris Penny, Senior (Having a great year)
    285 - Ty Walz, Redshirt Freshman (First big tourney competition he's had so no real surprise to me. Dropped one to a kid he had beaten earlier, but it happens. Sometimes you have to lose to learn.)

The big issue comes down to injuries and redshirts. We lost a lot of talent from the room last year in Garnett, Dong, Yates, and Marone. It's going to take some time to replace that leadership and experience. Next year I think you will start to see some of the talent shine through. I think we will have a lot of individual success this year and will see some inconsistency team wise as these younger guys have ups and downs, but I don't think this season is a wash. Anytime you have a top 25 team in a rebuilding year then you know you are doing something right. I'd imagine by the end of the year some of these younger guys will start figuring it out and hopefully the older guys will start getting healthier and we can peak for March.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHokieFan View Post
    What's banged up about Niebert? Knee, shoulder, what?
    Neibert's shoulder is just a bit banged up. I think we learned the value of resting him from time to time last year. He should be go good to go for the Midlands.

Gabel is another story. He's injured and won't be at the Midlands. Dickson is cutting to 174 to fill that void.

Chad Strube is injured at 157.

We're leaving 141 open for the Midlands. Nick Anderson is bumping up 141 for the Wilkes Open, so it looks to be a battle between Anderson, Ronneau, and possibly Eric Spjut at 141.