Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Swofford bullying anyone would be a first-Seems like the TV networks always pull all the chains.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Hokie 95 View Post
    Seriously? The bowls sign contracts with the ACC. Their partner is the ACC, not the teams. They by and large will do as the ACC asks them, within reason.

The game, as has been stated elsewhere, is already a technical sellout. The bowl is thus getting their money and would very likely be open to working with their partner on matchups.

yes, seriously. Like all bowls, they're in it for themselves. For as long as I can remember, this particular bowl holds all the cards with respect to the ACC. Swofford says "take Duke or the ACC is quittin you", and the CFA people jump to slam the door on his arse. I can't imagine any possible source of leverage for the ACC here. Now I suppose its possible the Orlando bowl might have sweetened the deal to get scUM, but no way the league had any pull....

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    yes, seriously. Like all bowls, they're in it for themselves. For as long as I can remember, this particular bowl holds all the cards with respect to the ACC. Swofford says "take Duke or the ACC is quittin you", and the CFA people jump to slam the door on his arse. I can't imagine any possible source of leverage for the ACC here. Now I suppose its possible the Orlando bowl might have sweetened the deal to get scUM, but no way the league had any pull....

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Doesn't the CFA Bowl join the playoff rotation next year? Thus, their teams will be assigned. See the CFA selection blog below. Thus I don't see how the ACC has any leverage.

http://www.chick-fil-abowl.com/TeamS...on-Sunday.aspx

sun bowl for tech vs ucla.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    No clue, just forwarding what I'm seeing. Whatever leverage he has, he apparently used it and then some.

In other words, you are just spreading unsubstantiated rumors that have no actual basis in fact?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    In other words, you are just spreading unsubstantiated rumors that have no actual basis in fact?
    Looks like the rumors are true. CFA officials are breaking the seals on the 80 proof now. This will be likely be the lowest rated CFA game ever.

Duke .... oof. Can Johnny Football rescue this sh$%-sandwich of a game? I doubt it.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhokie View Post
    Looks like the rumors are true. CFA officials are breaking the seals on the 80 proof now. This will be likely be the lowest rated CFA game ever.

Duke .... oof. Can Johnny Football rescue this sh$%-sandwich of a game? I doubt it.
    Like Miami and their horrid defense would be any better.......

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Hokie View Post
    Like Miami and their horrid defense would be any better.......
    But people would watch Miami. Bowls are never about competition or rewarding performance. The CFA has been good to the ACC and I feel bad that we send up a program that 1. has no fans that will attend and 2. nobody will watch on TV. It's not good for the ACC, but when you stack your rotation with schools like WFU, Duke, BC, and Syracuse, odds are that you'll end up in these situations every couple of years. Good news is that bball season is upon us.

BTW I was lucky enough to score box seats with a bunch of Duke alumni for the ACCCG. About half couldn't name the starting Duke QB. Duke might be the next Stanford, but they have a loooong way to go.

Just because Dook got the CFA doesn't mean the "CFA got strong-armed" rumors are true.

But people would watch Miami. Bowls are never about competition or rewarding performance. The CFA has been good to the ACC and I feel bad that we send up a program that 1. has no fans that will attend and 2. nobody will watch on TV. It's not good for the ACC, but when you stack your rotation with schools like WFU, Duke, BC, and Syracuse, odds are that you'll end up in these situations every couple of years. Good news is that bball season is upon us.

BTW I was lucky enough to score box seats with a bunch of Duke alumni for the ACCCG. About half couldn't name the starting Duke QB. Duke might be the next Stanford, but they have a loooong way to go.
    Taking away whether or not the CFA has been good to the ACC, a post above reminded me -- this is the final year of our contract with them, no? So if there IS any debate about which bowl we want to be nice to, I couldn't care less what the CFA bowl wants.

i'm not sure i'm buying this rumor. last week, it was reported that the CFA was excited to get dook. they thought it was a great story. did that suddenly change because they got thumped? everyone knew they were going to be thumped, so it shouldn't have made a difference.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC