Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    Clemson needs to learn how to beat Spurrier before worrying about FSU.
    Sure they would like to beat USCe but FSU is more important to Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    As much as folks here and at UVa-C might HATE IT... the alignment that makes the most sense is a straight North-South. Now, whether you put Wake Forest in the North, split from the other NC schools, or Miami in the North, that's a discussion worth having, but Wake and Miami should be the only question marks in this.
    Agreed. I would put Miami In the north over Wake, for competitive reasons.

It puts us back in the old Big East pretty much, but it makes the most sense for the conference. Of course, I would agree as long as we have GT as our cross-division rival. Gotta preserve the Golden Sliderule game.
    Last edited by Freddyburg Hokie; Sun Dec 08 2013 at 10:00 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

if we ended up in the north but with a great crossover rival (Clemson or FSU), would that be better than what we have now?

North / South:
    BC / Miami
    'Cuse / NCSU
    Pitt / GT
    L'ville / FSU
    uva / UNC
    VT / Clemson
    Wake / Dook

for VT annually:

Today / N-S split
    uva / uva
    Pitt / Pitt
    BC / BC
    UNC / L'ville
    Dook / Wake
    GT / 'Cuse
    Miami / Clemson

worst case, we keep Miami as our crossover instead of Clemson, so we replace UNC, dook, and GT with L'ville, Wake and 'Cuse...no big deal IMHO. no better, no worse.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Agreed. I would put Miami In the north over Wake, for competitive reasons.

It puts us back in the old Big East pretty much, but it makes the most sense for the conference. Of course, I would only but of on our off we have GT as our cross-division rival. Gotta preserve the Golden Sliderule game.
    Uh, no. If we're stuck with a division consisting of Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, UVA and Miami, our cross-division rival really really really needs to be Clemson. With an 8-game schedule we're going to be playing the teams in the other division once every 6 years. We have to have a marquee opponent as our cross-division rival or our Strength of Schedule and recruiting will suffer.

And I agree about Miami being in the 'north' division if one should be created. Without them the competitive balance is way off.
    North - South
    VT - Clemson
    Miami - FSU
    UVA - UNC
    BC - WF
    SYR - Duke
    Pitt - GT
    UL - NCST

Quote Originally Posted by ShockWaveVT View Post
    Uh, no. If we're stuck with a division consisting of Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, UVA and Miami, our cross-division rival really really really needs to be Clemson. With an 8-game schedule we're going to be playing the teams in the other division once every 6 years. We have to have a marquee opponent as our cross-division rival or our Strength of Schedule and recruiting will suffer.

And I agree about Miami being in the 'north' division if one should be created. Without them the competitive balance is way off.
    North - South
    VT - Clemson
    Miami - FSU
    UVA - UNC
    BC - WF
    SYR - Duke
    Pitt - GT
    UL - NCST
    That works for me as long as Clemson is our crossover rival. Hopefully, Tech can get at least 1 North Carolina team per season for recruiting purposes. I know Tech has ECU on its schedule a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    That works for me as long as Clemson is our crossover rival. Hopefully, Tech can get at least 1 North Carolina team per season for recruiting purposes. I know Tech has ECU on its schedule a lot.
    And if GT ended up being VT's crossover opponent would you still be okay with it?

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    And if GT ended up being VT's crossover opponent would you still be okay with it?
    Only if GT can elevate their program to the level of CU and FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    if we ended up in the north but with a great crossover rival (Clemson or FSU), would that be better than what we have now?

North / South:
    BC / Miami
    'Cuse / NCSU
    Pitt / GT
    L'ville / FSU
    uva / UNC
    VT / Clemson
    Wake / Dook

for VT annually:

Today / N-S split
    uva / uva
    Pitt / Pitt
    BC / BC
    UNC / L'ville
    Dook / Wake
    GT / 'Cuse
    Miami / Clemson

worst case, we keep Miami as our crossover instead of Clemson, so we replace UNC, dook, and GT with L'ville, Wake and 'Cuse...no big deal IMHO. no better, no worse.
    You and I have both pointed this out in one of these threads before... It always seems to get glossed over. It really wouldn't be that different.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Only if GT can elevate their program to the level of CU and FSU.
    Then you will not be OK with it!
    “You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands."

Quote Originally Posted by anchorsteam88 View Post
    Then you will not be OK with it!
    Not me! I'm not OK with VT joining "the new Big Least" division either. The only, and I mean only way I would be OK with that move is if ND joined in football and became part of that northern division...heck, give us UNC since they are UNC's "main" rival.
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne