Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

Clemson AD mentions ACC Divisional Changes

According to ACC Sports Journal's Jim Young, the Clemson AD says the ACC is in the early stages of possible divisional changes. It seems like Georgia Tech wants to be in the same division with FSU and Clemson. A simple fix would be to replace GT with Louisville in the Coastal Division. Maybe Clemson feels that they'll never win the Atlantic Division now that FSU is a national power again and want to be in the Coastal?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    According to ACC Sports Journal's Jim Young, the Clemson AD says the ACC is in the early stages of possible divisional changes. It seems like Georgia Tech wants to be in the same division with FSU and Clemson. A simple fix would be to replace GT with Louisville in the Coastal Division. Maybe Clemson feels that they'll never win the Atlantic Division now that FSU is a national power again and want to be in the Coastal?

As much as folks here and at UVa-C might HATE IT... the alignment that makes the most sense is a straight North-South. Now, whether you put Wake Forest in the North, split from the other NC schools, or Miami in the North, that's a discussion worth having, but Wake and Miami should be the only question marks in this.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    As much as folks here and at UVa-C might HATE IT... the alignment that makes the most sense is a straight North-South. Now, whether you put Wake Forest in the North, split from the other NC schools, or Miami in the North, that's a discussion worth having, but Wake and Miami should be the only question marks in this.
    If Notre Dame would join as a full member, a North Division would be more attractive, but I am in the majority who would hate to see Tech back in the Big East (aka North) with BC, Pitt, Cuse, L'ville, UVa, and possibly Wake. I hope it's a simple switch with Louisville and GT or Tech gets in the same division with Clemson and few other "attractive" annual opponents. I'd like to play Clemson and Miami every year.

I hope we aren't just knee jerking based on who's the hot team at the moment. It was just 3-4 years ago when people were calling for realignment because the Atlantic sucked so bad. Remember, from 05-11 the atlantic won 2 championships, both big upsets (FSU over VT and Wake over GT). BC was the atlantic rep 2 years in a row, if that tells you anything. The real competition was in the coastal, with VT, GT, UM, and Carolina's steller ineligible recruits. Even in 2011, FSU went to a low tier bowl why we got the at large BCS bid after losing to Clemson. 2 years of Clemson-FSU at the top hopefully doesn't prompt a total redo. I don't want to be in the big east II.

If Notre Dame would join as a full member, a North Division would be more attractive, but I am in the majority who would hate to see Tech back in the Big East (aka North) with BC, Pitt, Cuse, L'ville, UVa, and possibly Wake. I hope it's a simple switch with Louisville and GT or Tech gets in the same division with Clemson and few other "attractive" annual opponents. I'd like to play Clemson and Miami every year.
    Like I said... N-S would be quite unpopular in Blacksburg and Charlottesville, but it still makes the most sense.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Like I said... N-S would be quite unpopular in Blacksburg and Charlottesville, but it still makes the most sense.
    And the others are just happy to be here...
    “You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands."

Duke and Wake could both be in the south division for football... Doesn't it makes sense to have the two weakest football programs with the smallest fan bases rounding out the most football-heavy division? Plus it's geographically appropriate since the ACC center of gravity is NC.

Or they could just drop/de-emphasize their football programs which would be a boon for the conference and we could keep the zipper model with a much less watered down schedule. Do those two schools really need an equal share of the football money for squeaky-hoops and non-revs?

If the ACC were to expand to 16 members (Notre Dame and another "north" school being the 16th member), then N-S can work. The boundary line would be the VA-NC border and would eliminate the need to have protected cross-divisional games. However, with only 14 members the zipper model makes the most sense with each school getting 1 protected cross-divisional game. Besides, if Wake ends up the only NC school in the North Division, then it will want to have at least 1 protected game (maybe 2) which would create a messy rotation of future cross-divisional games for the other North Division members. If Clemson is worried about competing against Florida St for the Atlantic Division championship, then it may make more sense to place them in opposite divisions. The divisions could look like this with their protected cross-divisional pairings.

Atlantic/Coastal
    BC-Syracuse
    Louisville-Pitt
    VT-UVA
    Wake-Duke
    NC State-UNC
    Clemson-GT
    Miami-FSU

You're making too sense here....But that would be the way to go. IMO

Clemson needs to learn how to beat Spurrier before worrying about FSU.

BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.