Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePoq View Post
    Me, too, no matter how many times people would tell whoever complained to let it go. It was characteristic of the personality conflicts that seem to have been the reason Seth was let go. Losing the legacy (yes we know all the other schools did not line up for them out of high school) was devastating. Had they both come to Tech, things would have turned out very differently.
    I say give the kid a shot. JJ and his coaches appear to be able to recognize under-rated kids who can play.
    Agreed. There's always a place for a pure shooter on any Div 1 College BBall team. I don't care how small you are and how much of a defensive liability you are. And the kid is listed at 6'-2". How tall is our current shooting guard, Adam Smith? I doubt he's taller than six feet. The only way we can move the VT program to the next level is to take some chances on some 'diamonds in the rough'. I hope they take a chance on this kid. I'd hate to see him go elsewhere and blossom.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    Agreed. There's always a place for a pure shooter on any Div 1 College BBall team. I don't care how small you are and how much of a defensive liability you are. And the kid is listed at 6'-2". How tall is our current shooting guard, Adam Smith? I doubt he's taller than six feet. The only way we can move the VT program to the next level is to take some chances on some 'diamonds in the rough'. I hope they take a chance on this kid. I'd hate to see him go elsewhere and blossom.
    Yep, and you CANNOT tell me that he wouldn't help a team that has to resort to using Will Johnston. Heck, I bet we'd have won the game today with EITHER Rowsey or Tanner on the floor

Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    50 in game 6.
    Now averaging 48.5 ppg
    He will really be challenged defensively by Radford (state champs) tonight though and they already know him well. I think they held him under 20 once last year.
    Radford did hand Floyd their 1st loss and "held" Tanner to 25 pts

Radford did hand Floyd their 1st loss and "held" Tanner to 25 pts
    Tanner and Floyd bounced back in the Fort Chiswell tourney consolation game leading Floyd to 3rd place with 44 pts in a win over Auburn
    Now averaging 45 ppg through 8 games

41 more vs. Gate City in Chance Harman classic...

Tanner and Floyd bounced back in the Fort Chiswell tourney consolation game leading Floyd to 3rd place with 44 pts in a win over Auburn
    Now averaging 45 ppg through 8 games
    fell just short of his 43 pt record last year in the Chance Harman Classic with 41 this yr vs. Gate City. 401 pts. in 9 games, only 397 to go to break the VHSL record.

FLOYD -- Saturday was just an average night for Floyd County's Caleb Tanner.
    Almost.
    The 6-foot-1 senior guard fell just short of his season scoring average, Tanner's 41 points were more than enough to lift Floyd County to an 86-74 victory over Gate City in the Chance Harman Classic.
    Floyd (8-1) trailed 37-35 at halftime before Tanner scored 29 points in the second half.
    Tanner's output raised his season total to 401 points in nine games.
    The Floyd guard needs 397 points to break the VHSL's career scoring record. He entered Saturday's game with a 45.0 per game average.
    "I'm just having fun," Tanner said. "I'm taking it all in. It's my senior year. I'm just trying to soak it up. I'm not to worried about the scoring title. I'm just trying to go out there and win ballgames."
    Tanner had considerable help Saturday against a Gate City team that returned just one starter from last year's Group AA Division 2 state runner-up.
    Point guard Preston Neukirch had 13 points and 14 assists, while wing guard Justin Conduff scored 18 points.
    Gate City was led by Dylan Jenkins with 23 points and Michael Collier with 20.
    Tanner's pursuit of the VHSL career record of 2,687 points will be a season-long statewide story.
    Tanner said the record wasn't on his radar before he opened the season with back-to-back 59-point games against Christiansburg and Pulaski County.
    "To be honest with you, I was just out there playing, getting lost in the game," Tanner said. "People coming up to me, telling me I had 59, I thought they were lying to me at first.
    "I just don't worry about all this scoring stuff."