Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    This post needs more attention. We're not expanding Lane Stadium anytime soon (if ever, really), but things can be done to enhance the fan experience. Improved concessions and enhanced connectivity would both go a long way on that front. Hopefully the new AD will see it that way, too.
    I'm sure I'm going to be called old for saying this, but adding wifi to the stadium isn't necessarily a good thing. As a fan you should be there to watch the game, not tweet some inane comment during the game. If you are looking down at twitter, or instagram or facebook or any of the other social media, you aren't paying attention to the game as much as you can. That's a problem, because even though we aren't as loud as we used to be, we're still a loud stadium, if a large portion of that fan base is now entrenched on their phone they won't be doing what it takes to continue VT's reputation as a tough place to play. I'm sure I'm going to get killed for this opinion, but it seems like common sense to me.
    I want those that get to know me to become admirers of my enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieHaz View Post
    I'm sure I'm going to be called old for saying this, but adding wifi to the stadium isn't necessarily a good thing. As a fan you should be there to watch the game, not tweet some inane comment during the game. If you are looking down at twitter, or instagram or facebook or any of the other social media, you aren't paying attention to the game as much as you can. That's a problem, because even though we aren't as loud as we used to be, we're still a loud stadium, if a large portion of that fan base is now entrenched on their phone they won't be doing what it takes to continue VT's reputation as a tough place to play. I'm sure I'm going to get killed for this opinion, but it seems like common sense to me.
    I'm sure you won't get killed; it's a very common opinion among TSL posters. Probably the majority opinion.

Of course it neglects the obvious fact that a 3-1/2 hour football game consists of, what, 45-60 minutes of commercial stoppages and halftime? That's all time during which it would be fantastic to have internet access on smartphones and which doesn't in any way detract from fan engagement with the game. (And that's to say nothing of time between plays.)

Having access to Twitter isn't about a need to "tweet some inane comment." Twitter (and access to espn.com, cbssports.com, etc.) is a way to get real-time info about other games around the country and the VT game as well for that matter. It's no different from people who listen to the radio broadcast in the stadium and that's been going on for about as long as I've been going to games in Lane Stadium (30+ yrs). There's nothing wrong with wanting more information during the game.

Smartphones with cameras and facebook/twitter access have done nothing to change the level of fan engagement at college football games. For as long as I've been going to games, people have been getting distracted when the action on the field was boring. People would start cup chains or bounce a beach ball or start the wave or blow those stupid plastic horns or talk to each other. Better internet access won't make people pay less or more attention to the game. All it does is let people who want access to more information get it.

No it wasn't.

First, you don't realize the key is creating keen entertainment venue for folks in the urban areas of the state to allocate their valuable resources (time, and money) to attend. This involves broadening the entertainment venue to include food options at the game, entertainment venues (new music from multiple bands, electronic music in the stand, choreography etc), changing security protocols so the venue does not feel like a security prison and more availability from wi-fi, and other media (ie. broaden the multi-media opportunities).

This has nothing to do with the SEC. (and if you look VT is taking another track- with scheduling numerous Big 10 Schools- so our leadership feels the south is not the only roadmap to success. VT will have tremendous opportunities for media awareness. in 2014 and 2015 we will get prime ESPN dates at the beginning of the season with ohio state and then be the lead for the largest venue to host a college football game, and even might in 2015-16 participate in the shamrock classic where we play ND in a major national venue. That is not bad for revenue streams

Quote Originally Posted by MPHOKIE View Post
    I hate to beat a dead horse but..... that opportunity was presented in the form of SEC membership. We passed. Now the consequences will be felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    No it wasn't.

First, you don't realize the key is creating keen entertainment venue for folks in the urban areas of the state to allocate their valuable resources (time, and money) to attend. This involves broadening the entertainment venue to include food options at the game, entertainment venues (new music from multiple bands, electronic music in the stand, choreography etc), changing security protocols so the venue does not feel like a security prison and more availability from wi-fi, and other media (ie. broaden the multi-media opportunities).

This has nothing to do with the SEC. (and if you look VT is taking another track- with scheduling numerous Big 10 Schools- so our leadership feels the south is not the only roadmap to success. VT will have tremendous opportunities for media awareness. in 2014 and 2015 we will get prime ESPN dates at the beginning of the season with ohio state and then be the lead for the largest venue to host a college football game, and even might in 2015-16 participate in the shamrock classic where we play ND in a major national venue. That is not bad for revenue streams
    Save a for a few non-conference matchups, this does not excite me in the least and I can't believe anyone is looking to shell out money and their time for this:

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/schedule/future/

As for wi-Fi, food, music... none of those will help attendance when that is your home schedule. I'm not travelling 6+ hours roundtrip to Blacksburg to eat and listen to music. If I'm making that commitment, the football is the attraction.

As for the Tennessee game, I will be in Bristol for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    Do you think that VT has 12 people who would pay $5 million for a suite?
    I'm guessing bigger school & lots of oil money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    No it wasn't.

Is it possible that the decision to play more Big Ten teams is driven by academic reasons than athletic ones? I am not suggesting that the VT would leave the ACC for the Big Ten or the Big Ten is right now interested in VT. However, if the day ever did come where the Big Ten invited UVA and VT to join the Big Ten, then I believe it would be difficult for either school to turn down the offer especially with the revenue that CIC generates for the schools.

I don't see Notre Dame agreeing to turn its home game with VT into a neutral site "Shamrock Classic" game. Historically if Notre Dame plays in a Shamrock Classic game that is associated with a home-home series, then it is because the opposing team agreed to give up its home game. It would be different if this was a 1 time game, but Notre Dame is tentatively scheduled to come to Blacksburg in 2017 or 2018.