Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Nice article on stadium upgrades across college and NFL, including aTm

Lots of challenges in balancing the revenue generators and the atmosphere generators.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...?sct=obnetwork
    BCS level college football is a resource war, not a morality play.

Did you catch this?

Sam Torn, A&M's renovation committee chair, says the school was "very surprised and excited" to see that nearly all of the stadium's 54 additional suites sold out in one day, even with a required "significant capital gift." Eleven of 12 founders suites, which require a minimum donation of $5 million, have also sold out. Even after upping suite options from 60 to 114, adding in 80 loge boxes—basically miniature outdoor suites—upping club seats from 1,900 to 6,500 and tossing in an extra 14,000 or so general seats, A&M isn't worried about filling the venue.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Did you catch this?

Sam Torn, A&M's renovation committee chair, says the school was "very surprised and excited" to see that nearly all of the stadium's 54 additional suites sold out in one day, even with a required "significant capital gift." Eleven of 12 founders suites, which require a minimum donation of $5 million, have also sold out. Even after upping suite options from 60 to 114, adding in 80 loge boxes—basically miniature outdoor suites—upping club seats from 1,900 to 6,500 and tossing in an extra 14,000 or so general seats, A&M isn't worried about filling the venue.
    Sounds like A&M underpriced the Founders Suites if they have already sold out. They should have charged $10 million for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Sounds like A&M underpriced the Founders Suites if they have already sold out. They should have charged $10 million for them.
    Maybe they qualified the amount with specific donors before they set the price. Maybe ran some numbers by them to get a feel for the situation?

It will be interesting to see how VT handles the next round of expansion/rennovation at Lane and whether this model is still en vogue or replaced with another model. Also, whether VT decides to go the UW route, Texas A&M route, or continue with the piecemeal approach.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how VT handles the next round of expansion/rennovation at Lane and whether this model is still en vogue or replaced with another model. Also, whether VT decides to go the UW route, Texas A&M route, or continue with the piecemeal approach.
    I'm not a fan of the piecemeal approach. It lacks a consistent vision. My dream is for VT to bank some cash for a while until we can afford to build a new stadium (ala Minnesota, Stanford, etc), preferably a retractable roof dome.

Personally, I like what the Eagles are doing to installl WiFi that every fan can use and interact with. Be able to send and receive messages during the game will be a big part of attracting anyone under 35.

Quote Originally Posted by hokieball View Post
    I'm not a fan of the piecemeal approach. It lacks a consistent vision. My dream is for VT to bank some cash for a while until we can afford to build a new stadium (ala Minnesota, Stanford, etc), preferably a retractable roof dome.
    I agree with you that I am not a fan of the piecemeal approach either. If VT were to build a brand new stadium, then where on campus would it go (assuming that VT continues to use Lane until it is built)? If it is decided to build the new stadium in the same location as Lane, then which stadium(s) would VT use as a temporary home until the new one is built?

Do you think that VT has 12 people who would pay $5 million for a suite?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    Did you catch this?

Quote Originally Posted by PadrosWindup View Post
    Do you think that VT has 12 people who would pay $5 million for a suite?
    Besides you I can't think of anybody.